GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's Decided. 2.5 Turbo. Winter 2019

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
I plan on throwing a turbo in this coming winter but want to get as much information as I can before doing so to avoid blowing the engine. I've searched threads for turbo builds and found some that set me in the right direction but want to be extra safe.

Please. Lets not let this turn into a "Just buy a GTI and tune it. It's Cheaper."
Considering my car is almost paid off and a used 2012 GTI is around $17,000 before tuning it, it's really not... Plus you're not paying for it so humor me please.

Here's what I have planned thus far. I'm going to start off small (10-12 PSI) and eventually build up the engine and bring up the boost.

Doing: K03 Turbo w/ Custom manifold
550cc Fuel Injectors
Side Mount Intercooler w/ piping
Blow Off Valve
C2 or United Motorsport Tune
C2 MAF
Boost Gage...

Unsure: Upgraded Fuel Pump
Stage 2 Engine Mount
Stage 2 Clutch
Catch Can

Future: IE SRI (Might start with this)
IE Forged Connecting Rods
Head Spacer
Power Pulley

Any suggestions? Things I need or don't need? I also have no idea how to get oil into the turbo, where can I tap into?
Will keep everyone up to date with the build.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I plan on throwing a turbo in this coming winter but want to get as much information as I can before doing so to avoid blowing the engine. I've searched threads for turbo builds and found some that set me in the right direction but want to be extra safe.

Please. Lets not let this turn into a "Just buy a GTI and tune it. It's Cheaper."
Considering my car is almost paid off and a used 2012 GTI is around $17,000 before tuning it, it's really not... Plus you're not paying for it so humor me please.

Here's what I have planned thus far. I'm going to start off small (10-12 PSI) and eventually build up the engine and bring up the boost.

Doing: K03 Turbo w/ Custom manifold
550cc Fuel Injectors
Side Mount Intercooler w/ piping
Blow Off Valve
C2 or United Motorsport Tune
C2 MAF
Boost Gage...

Unsure: Upgraded Fuel Pump
Stage 2 Engine Mount
Stage 2 Clutch
Catch Can

Future: IE SRI (Might start with this)
IE Forged Connecting Rods
Head Spacer
Power Pulley

Any suggestions? Things I need or don't need? I also have no idea how to get oil into the turbo, where can I tap into?
Will keep everyone up to date with the build.

k03 is way too small, you would want a 2867 minimum. Also i know canadian cars are mor money but hell you can get a stage 2 gti in the USA for 10-13kish in good shape and will make more power than a k03 2.5

Inevitable

Passed Driver's Ed
^^ congrats on doing the ONE thing the OP said not to.

OP: maybe get a hold of FrankenTurbo and see if you can get one of their FT25 turbokits that is under development. They are showing some impressive numbers, but they are also starting with a built 2.5, because the stock motor can't take boost.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion

OP: maybe get a hold of FrankenTurbo and see if you can get one of their FT25 turbokits that is under development. They are showing some impressive numbers, but they are also starting with a built 2.5, because the stock motor can't take boost.

I'm a realist, it's cheaper and easier. Unless he/she is looking for basically new. Franken turbo is one rought for 2.5 or look into a used ttrs turbo iirc it will bolt on. With any turbokit with tune I bet 6k minimum cost wise. My turbo kit alone no fuel, No ic, No exhaust (dp was included) was 8k ish

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!

A stock motor should handle 10-12psi, I'm not going for anything to crazy haha Id be happy with 230whp. Thanks for the info on Frankinturbo, I didn't know about these guys!

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
k03 is way too small, you would want a 2867 minimum. Also i know canadian cars are mor money but hell you can get a stage 2 gti in the USA for 10-13kish in good shape and will make more power than a k03 2.5

Still 10-13 is a bit much, from what I've priced out (Listed in the "doing" section) I'm looking at just under $4000. If I can land under 5000 I'd be happy. The reason I chose a K03 is to keep the engine safe, do you think it's to safe? would a K04 possibly be a better option?

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Still 10-13 is a bit much, from what I've priced out (Listed in the "doing" section) I'm looking at just under $4000. If I can land under 5000 I'd be happy. The reason I chose a K03 is to keep the engine safe, do you think it's to safe? would a K04 possibly be a better option?

both arent good imo, old turbos and not a direct bolt on. look at frankenturbo. or ttrs used imo.

manifold included - https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Audi-T...ash=item4b34c2d206:g:IA0AAOSwZFdaXwkG&vxp=mtr

I am not sure if you can get it to work though

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
FrankenTurbo ditched the 2.5 Project and sold off the only prototype and the TTRS turbo that they were copying to someone in the business.

The TTRS Turbo will NOT mount up to the 07K engine without machining. Those Germans think of everything to prevent us adding a turbo to the 2.5.

Orangespy, where are you located?

I live in Markham, there are two orange MK5s, one is a nicely done GTI (seen from afar) the other is a kid who turbo a Rabbit 2.5, started with the cheapie Hans Autoparts Turbo Kit for $600 US$ and a hood mount Intercooler from an older WRX. Car was repainted orange when the hood was modified. From my understanding he doesn't have much invested but it runs well not sure of HP tho but pretty sure it's over 200 HP.

I don't know alot more except the high 1st and 2nd gearing works great with the setup.

EDIT: The longer taller fuel efficient gearing in the 5 speed in the 2011 MK6 and later cars would be a great for the turbo setup, if it can hold up.

To be honest, I have often thought about this, as I am able to tune the older ME17 EA888 to stage1 within 30 minutes, it's that easy; and our MED17 07K not so easy or cheap. : (

If my Son doesn't take his car back after I finish the final version of my Intake Manifold development project, I may take this on, doing it my way, as I don't think we are far away. FrankenTurbo gave up cause it's not worth it, there are not enough 2.5 owners willing to put up the $$$ to make it worth their while.

If I was going to spend 7K or 8K, I'd be looking for a TTRS engine and ECU from a wrecked car but thankfully saving to buy my next ride (an Alfa 4C)

Cheers

Last edited:

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
FrankenTurbo ditched the 2.5 Project and sold off the only prototype and the TTRS turbo that they were copying to someone in the business.

The TTRS Turbo will NOT mount up to the 07K engine without machining. Those Germans think of everything to prevent us adding a turbo to the 2.5.

Orangespy, where are you located?

I live in Markham, there are two orange MK5s, one is a nicely done GTI (seen from afar) the other is a kid who turbo a Rabbit 2.5, started with the cheapie Hans Autoparts Turbo Kit for $600 US$ and a hood mount Intercooler from an older WRX. Car was repainted orange when the hood was modified. From my understanding he doesn't have much invested but it runs well not sure of HP tho but pretty sure it's over 200 HP.

I don't know alot more except the high 1st and 2nd gearing works great with the setup.

EDIT: The longer taller fuel efficient gearing in the 5 speed in the 2011 MK6 and later cars would be a great for the turbo setup, if it can hold up.

To be honest, I have often thought about this, as I am able to tune the older ME17 EA888 to stage1 within 30 minutes, it's that easy; and our MED17 07K not so easy or cheap. : (

If my Son doesn't take his car back after I finish the final version of my Intake Manifold development project, I may take this on, doing it my way, as I don't think we are far away. FrankenTurbo gave up cause it's not worth it, there are not enough 2.5 owners willing to put up the $$$ to make it worth their while.

If I was going to spend 7K or 8K, I'd be looking for a TTRS engine and ECU from a wrecked car but thankfully saving to buy my next ride (an Alfa 4C)

Cheers

I'm in Nova Scotia
I plan on making my own manifold with a Mk6 2.5 Flange and a K03 flange.
I saw the hans turbo kit, it seemed kind of sketchy. A top mount!? couldn't imagine haha
Also mines a 2012 so glad to hear it should work :p

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm in Nova Scotia
I plan on making my own manifold with a Mk6 2.5 Flange and a K03 flange.
I saw the hans turbo kit, it seemed kind of sketchy. A top mount!? couldn't imagine haha
Also mines a 2012 so glad to hear it should work :p
Yes it is sketchy, I thought so too but since the kid made it work.... , it may not be a C2 or whatever kit but who says it has to, be creative and give it a go.

IMO The turbo manifold is the key, all the kits charge you big money for just the manifold. I hope you can weld well as that the turbo manifold will get really hot.

Good luck !

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Yes it is sketchy, I thought so too but since the kid made it work.... , it may not be a C2 or whatever kit but who says it has to, be creative and give it a go.

IMO The turbo manifold is the key, all the kits charge you big money for just the manifold. I hope you can weld well as that the turbo manifold will get really hot.

Good luck !

I'll only be tac welding everything into place haha I know a guy who builds drag cars and welds all his own manifolds. I'll be taking it him!

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Not trying to change the subject but you were talking IM's. What's your thoughts on the IE Intake Manifold? I believe I read somewhere you (MLue1) thought it made power too far up the rpm range to be usefull for a daily driver. I thought that sounded like a good assessment. I will likely have to be happy with the stage 1 + CAI as I live in California and have to deal with the smog check every 2 years. I would be willing to do the intake and Stage 2 if it were worth it. Exhaust is where I have to draw the line as I can't be swapping exhausts every 2 years. I could swap out intakes no problem though. Turbo would be an impossibility for me here. Just a whiny pipe dream. I will have to live vicariously through you. Good luck with the build. I would love to drive a turbo'd 2.5L.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I forgot to add when I put the gti suspension on my 2.5L people often asked me why didn't you just buy a gti and swap motors.:lol: Sorry I couldn't resist. You can always tell them you hate plaid.

Last edited: