GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's 13' Wolfsburg Track Car Build

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Well Gingerman was eventful. Someone dumped fluid at t2 and .y tires turned to ice, went sliding off the track and my rad hose popped off dumping my water. Quick track repair and I was back out. The rest of the day was good, my tires are shot. I have a fresh set of rs4's but wanted to get one more day out of the old ones. They are shot now lol. After the last session I noticed my rotor was cracked 😭 ordered a new set. Gotta swap rubber and rotors before June 13 at Blackhawk Farms. Grattan June 26.
View attachment 215410

View attachment 215411View attachment 215412View attachment 215413
Glad to see you out enjoying the car again. Are you still running distilled water / VP cool down mix? I’m about to switch, guessing I’ll need 2 bottles.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Glad to see you out enjoying the car again. Are you still running distilled water / VP cool down mix? I’m about to switch, guessing I’ll need 2 bottles.
Yeah. I need to drain the system, had no access to distilled so I used all our drinking water
What rotors were those?
Stoptech st40 bbk 2 piece.

jay745

Time for fresh rubber and new rotors
20210602_181820.jpg
20210603_124725.jpg

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
For what it’s worth Jay, the new rotor casting is different from the older design. Talked with Dave from Zeckhausen and confirmed the changes. New one on the left below:
2722C316-06E3-4096-9F15-221354CAE9BA.jpeg

I did go ahead and order some spare rotor hats to go along with my rings, to have a full set of rotors ready in the event I crack one at the track. Carrying only the rings with me would be a pain to try to swap hot in between sessions.

jay745

For what it’s worth Jay, the new rotor casting is different from the older design. Talked with Dave from Zeckhausen and confirmed the changes. New one on the left below:
View attachment 215764

I did go ahead and order some spare rotor hats to go along with my rings, to have a full set of rotors ready in the event I crack one at the track. Carrying only the rings with me would be a pain to try to swap hot in between sessions.
I noticed they were different when I was installing them just now. I wonder what the different design improves. And yeah replacing the hats at the track would be a pain.

20210603_180217.jpg

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I noticed they were different when I was installing them just now. I wonder what the different design improves.

Looks like the vanes on the inner ring were changed, enclosed almost. Maybe increase surface area to help with cooling?

torga

Autocross Champion
Looks like the vanes on the inner ring were changed, enclosed almost. Maybe increase surface area to help with cooling?
It's an interesting change because it feels like the older design would be a bit better and scooping air out. But it's gotta be something... because it doesn't really strike me as a cost-savings measure, either.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
It looks like the new rotors have thicker plates. It also looks like they took a rotor with a smaller ID and bored it out. In doing so they cut the aerodynamic ends off the vanes.

torga

Autocross Champion
It looks like the new rotors have thicker plates. It also looks like they took a rotor with a smaller ID and bored it out. In doing so they cut the aerodynamic ends off the vanes.
I'm almost positive the plates are the same thickness. The more aggressive chamfers on the old design are tricky and make it seem like the new design is thicker.

jay745

Well Blackhawk farms was HOT. But I had fun, my damn charge pipe popped off towards the end of the day. I double clamped it and hopefully it holds for the next one. I noticed my damn rotor loose from the top hat again. This is brand new hardware...I've come to the conclusion the standard hardware they supply is just garbage. After I upgrade to the conical washer hardware I do t have any issues. Ordered that and will swap it out this weekend.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Well Blackhawk farms was HOT. But I had fun, my damn charge pipe popped off towards the end of the day. I double clamped it and hopefully it holds for the next one. I noticed my damn rotor loose from the top hat again. This is brand new hardware...I've come to the conclusion the standard hardware they supply is just garbage. After I upgrade to the conical washer hardware I do t have any issues. Ordered that and will swap it out this weekend.
Which conical washer are you upgrading to? Just installed new rotors on a set of spare hats and the washers that came with the rotors are conical and lock as you torque them.
70FC8037-0D8F-43FE-9F46-01479934576F.jpeg

jay745

Which conical washer are you upgrading to? Just installed new rotors on a set of spare hats and the washers that came with the rotors are conical and lock as you torque them. View attachment 216783
Those are the ones. The hardware that came with mine came with flat washers which are supposedly the race version.