GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just crashed the golf

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Got cut off by another car and hit an island center divider square at like 40mph. Essentially hit a curb dead on at 40mph and launched the golf. Luckily it was dirt in the island so there was nothing else to hit. Unsure the total extent of the damage. No body damage. Would be shocked if the rims were not bent but they look fine. Oil pan is dented a bit but not leaking. Dogbone mount bolts are sheared from the transmission case. That appears to be the biggest problem. I may have to replace the transmission. CAT is bent. Dogbone is way off from where is should be on the tranny so possibly the subframe is also tweeked. I made it to my moms house. but it was hurtin. Well I was planning on replacing the motor mount tomorrow so I guess I will find out then the full extent.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Update. Just jacked it up to have a look. I think the dogbone mouting holes on the tranny may be salvageable. I was able the get the tranny back in place somewhat. Ironically, it looks like the tranny mount is shattered and motor mount is also toast. Battery tray broke into several pieces. I'll epoxy that tomorrow and replace the tranny and engine mount which I have luckily.

Suspension looks fine.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Holy sh!t Chris glad you're OK!

I've crashed a few times in my day, if the mounts shattered that's a good thing, works like a fuse in that respect. Replacing mounts and oil pan should get you going.

Check the CV joints, and shift linkage as well.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya. I was really luck the engine didn't get pushed up into the radiator and fans. It was really close (mm's). Looks like the tranny wedged itself itself on top of the dogbone which kept it in one place...not the right place but I'll take what I can get.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Before you spend money have it put on a frame machine and check thr car for being bent.

Next time hit the car not the curb

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Got the mounts installed and was able to get the stock dogbone mount back on but there is a lot of metal missing from the mounting holes on the tranny. Tranny mount was completely destroyed. Engine mount was intact but completely worn out. I had no idea how bad the mounts were until the new mounts were installed. I can't move the engine at all by hand. Before I could move it at least an inch very easily. Car seems fine but only time will tell.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
It'll be fine, if the holes line up everything is still square. The worn mounts may have done you a favour, absorbing the impact forces, don't do the same trick with the new mounts.

A dent in the CAT usually won't do anything negatively but I'd take a look at the Oil pan ASAP if its damaged.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Oil pan is dented but not a lot I don't think. It's hard to say as it looks like the oil pan has a crease normally where it is dented. It's not leaking and doesn't sound like anything is hitting it. I'll probably replace it to be on the safe side. There's a lot more vibration at idle but that is likely the mounts. The car tracks strait. No weird noises. The batterry tray was also destroyed and is not salvageable but I already ordered a used one off ebay.

Well my intent when I bought the golf was to drive it till it died. And that almost happened. Pretty impressed the golf held up as well as it did to an impact like that. I think your correct that the tranny mount acted like a fuse.

https://i.imgur.com/GC5hKPA.jpg

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
It's fine!!! Go have fun that's why I love the lil Golf hardly anything goes wrong :happyanim: tough car. The entire amount we spent on maintenance and repairs is equal to what we would spend taking the Tiguan with the 2.0T into the dealer once.

EDIT: Sadly I don't get to drive the Golf much anymore BUT to compensate the new Accord is friking quick with the 2.0T 0-100 km in under 6 seconds on every run for a cheap family car, it just needs better shocks and a Rear Swaybar.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well at least now I can start on the project I was going to do yesterday which is put the stock intake manifold and valve cover back on with new injectors and put it back to stage 1. Then oil change and tranny fluid change.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Well at least now I can start on the project I was going to do yesterday which is put the stock intake manifold and valve cover back on with new injectors and put it back to stage 1. Then oil change and tranny fluid change.
Ya my Son felt the same way until recently, he wanted to go back to IE Stage1 until he took the Golf to Toronto Motorsport Park a few times. With IE Stage2 the HP to rev difference is amazing at the track and alot more like a proper track car with the performance at the top end. Stage2 the HP is of course alot better now but the torque is linear and NOT over whelming; great driving, you aren't loosing time from wheel spin and massive torque steer pulling you off line.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Just an experiment. I forgot what stage 1 felt like and it's been 2 years so I wanted to see the state of the intake, valves, orings and what not and give it all a good cleaning.