GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just got the car and the heating stopped working

bigcarguy31

I just bought the car last week and today the heating broke. When I got the car, the fan of the car felt kind of weak, it took a lot of time for the car to heat up and for some reason the 4th level of the fan is much stronger and louder than the 3 first settings. Today after blasting the heating at level 4 to preheat the car I noticed the 3 first levels of the fan simply did not work. Level 4 worked though but even on 4, it feels warm-ish but not hot and not much air was coming out of the vent (stilll making loud noise)

From what I read online, I think its either the resistor pack of the blower motor. I just order both parts. From your experience, do any of you know if this issue will keep happening to me? Any other suggestions?

thanks

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I had to replace the resistor in my 2010 probably around 8+ years ago. My blower would only turn on at the highest setting. The switch replacement fixed it in under 10 minutes. Have not had a problem since.

bigcarguy31

I had to replace the resistor in my 2010 probably around 8+ years ago. My blower would only turn on at the highest setting. The switch replacement fixed it in under 10 minutes. Have not had a problem since.
Great, so do you think replacing the blower motor is overkill?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Great, so do you think replacing the blower motor is overkill?
I actually just replaced mine about a year ago because I thought it was making a noise, but actually turned out to be my BFI shift knob collar rattling and just needed to tighten the Allen bolts.
It's not a cheap part, but can't hurt to be preemptive about replacing it while you're under the dash. It's a very easy swap out.

bigcarguy31

I actually just replaced mine about a year ago because I thought it was making a noise, but actually turned out to be my BFI shift knob collar rattling and just needed to tighten the Allen bolts.
It's not a cheap part, but can't hurt to be preemptive about replacing it while you're under the dash. It's a very easy swap out.
I just replaced the resistor pack and all vents level work now, Thank alot for the help. Although I noticed it that even though it gives out hot air at the beggining, the air becomes less and less hot within minutes.

Decided to wait before replacing the blower motor since I might require more expensive parts.

Do you think replacing the blower motor will help with the heating? If not, do you know what I need to replace?

Big thank you again, this is my first big purchase (5000$) and I really hope i didnt end up buying a lemon.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Glad the resistor sorted out the fan speed issue for you. Happy to help where I can.

I don't think the blower motor will help anything heat related as it's only purpose is to blow the air into the cabin.

It's possible that the climatronic module being the culprit. That's the module with the dials. Anyway, did you buy the car privately or from a dealer? Maybe something that can be covered under warranty?

bigcarguy31

Glad the resistor sorted out the fan speed issue for you. Happy to help where I can.

I don't think the blower motor will help anything heat related as it's only purpose is to blow the air into the cabin.

It's possible that the climatronic module being the culprit. That's the module with the dials. Anyway, did you buy the car privately or from a dealer? Maybe something that can be covered under warranty?
Ill return the blower motor then, thx.

And I bought the car privately, so I don't think theres much I can do.

And I drove it just now for about 10 minutes and the heating was fine until it stopped dispensing warm air as soon as I got in my driveway. So sometimes the heating works longer than other times.

From what I read so far, I was thinking it was an issue with the heater core, didnt really see anything about the climatronic module. Is this a common issues with this gen?

Thx

tdream1

Autocross Newbie

And I drove it just now for about 10 minutes and the heating was fine until it stopped dispensing warm air as soon as I got in my driveway. So sometimes the heating works longer than other times.

From what I read so far, I was thinking it was an issue with the heater core, didnt really see anything about the climatronic module. Is this a common issues with this gen?

Thx
Sure thing. Always good to put some $$$ back in your pocket. :)

I haven't heard of many issues with heating issues, but I have not researched much on it as I've never had an issue. Not sure if it's something that may show up on a VCDS scan or not.

Good luck and hope it's something easy and inexpensive to fix.

king1138

Go Kart Champion

Thx
How's your coolant level? If you have a coolant leak, it can create an air pocket that will cause intermittent loss of heating. Coolant leaks from the water pumps and radiators are common on this platform. Some MK6 vehicles still have factory extended warranties to cover water pump leaks, so if it is a water pump make sure you check with your local VW dealer for possible warranty repairs.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
How's your coolant level? If you have a coolant leak, it can create an air pocket that will cause intermittent loss of heating. Coolant leaks from the water pumps and radiators are common on this platform. Some MK6 vehicles still have factory extended warranties to cover water pump leaks, so if it is a water pump make sure you check with your local VW dealer for possible warranty repairs.

This.

If the fan is still running at the proper speed and just not blowing as hot of air it's not a blower motor issue, it's a coolant/heater core one. Did the previous owner recently do any repairs or work on the cooling system? Unlikely since you didn't mention it but does the car overheat or have any temp fluctuations?

Just had a car we repaired (I work in a body shop) last week the lady brought it back as the heater was not blowing any hot air. A racoon took out her AC condenser and radiator so had all new units, coolant was full and was bled with no issues (it was a Hyundai and actually has a German like procedure due to using an electronic thermostat LOL). We found the inlet hose for the heater core was hot but not the return line, like there was air in the core but would not bleed out. After fighting it for a full day we finally just drained the thing, refilled it and reran the procedure and it started working fine. Could be just air trapped in the heater core maybe not enough to block it but reduce efficiency. Flushing and replacing the coolant would be an easy first step.