GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 Discussion

MK6_604

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been considering upgrading to a K04 setup for a while now. My relevant engine/drivetrain mods are currently an apr catted downpipe, intake and an upgraded clutch/ flywheel.

After lots of researchI decided on the following:

- HPA K04 (they are local to me so I can pick the turbo up myself in person)
$2000cad

- Unitronic intercooler - most cost efficient for the performance increase, cost of the part, and the shipping costs.
$1000cad

- APR software (cheapest software due to their loyalty program)
$300cad

All in I would be right around $3500cad ($2800usd) when I decide to pull the trigger.

I would be doing all of the install myself, apart from the software flashing.

Anyone have any input on any of these products?

I considered a CTS intercooler because the core is thicker than the unitronic unit but I've heard horror stories about CTS products fitment and quality in the past. APR and IE hardware are out of the question for the time being, I can't justify the cost of the products plus shipping to Canada.

Any input is appreciated, thanks :)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
All sounds good. You live in Canada so not getting the absolute largest intercooler not that important. Mostly you need it for increased flow. Good luck with your project.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I’ve been K04 for over a year with stock intercooler. I’d use that money for upgraded motor mounts and tires to help reduce wheel hop and get all that power down.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Like others said, drop the intercooler for now and use the $1000 to upgrade the PCV, dogbone mount, DV (only if you have the old one) and I would also get a catch can because with the extra boost you are going to get increased blowby and you don't want all that shit going back in the manifold.

MK6_604

Passed Driver's Ed
K04 for 8 years and 100k

Dont waste money on a catch can unless you are a serious track rat
Which K04 did you go with? I feel like there's not much difference between all of the kits out there apart from who's name is stamped on it. HPA was pretty honest about their supplier and where their kit comes from thats why I feel like they're a good bet.

MK6_604

Passed Driver's Ed
All sounds good. You live in Canada so not getting the absolute largest intercooler not that important. Mostly you need it for increased flow. Good luck with your project.
Yeah thats why I settled on the unitronic one. Other ones have slightly thicker cores but I don't think I could justify the extra cost unless I was going out to the track all summer.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Unless you’re planning on extended high load pulls like you might do at a track day you could definitely get away with less intercooler. I can pick up a Nissens brand Golf R intercooler for $188 USD which I’d guess is about 90% of the performance for 20% of the cost. The money saved could be spent on water/meth injection which will allow you to pull every last bit of performance out of a K04… as in you could run the 100 octane APR program on pump gas.

Also, if you’re as picky about how your car handles as I am adding all the extra weight of one of these expensive, *heavy* metal aftermarket intercoolers to the nose of the car will have a noticeably negative impact if you’re sensitive to how your car turns. Aside from maybe the roof the front bumper is literally the worst place to add weight.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Which K04 did you go with? I feel like there's not much difference between all of the kits out there apart from who's name is stamped on it. HPA was pretty honest about their supplier and where their kit comes from thats why I feel like they're a good bet

I went with APR because I was tuned by them anyways. Its held up really well so far. Agree with alot of the comments here regarding intercoolers too. Definitely very useful but maybe a bit less so given your climate.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I've been considering upgrading to a K04 setup for a while now. My relevant engine/drivetrain mods are currently an apr catted downpipe, intake and an upgraded clutch/ flywheel.

After lots of researchI decided on the following:

- HPA K04 (they are local to me so I can pick the turbo up myself in person)
$2000cad

- Unitronic intercooler - most cost efficient for the performance increase, cost of the part, and the shipping costs.
$1000cad

- APR software (cheapest software due to their loyalty program)
$300cad

All in I would be right around $3500cad ($2800usd) when I decide to pull the trigger.

I would be doing all of the install myself, apart from the software flashing.

Anyone have any input on any of these products?

I considered a CTS intercooler because the core is thicker than the unitronic unit but I've heard horror stories about CTS products fitment and quality in the past. APR and IE hardware are out of the question for the time being, I can't justify the cost of the products plus shipping to Canada.

Any input is appreciated, thanks :)
Rating K04 as the #1 mod for my GTI, I would rate the addition of an LSD the #2 mod and most complimentary to all that new power.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Rating K04 as the #1 mod for my GTI, I would rate the addition of an LSD the #2 mod and most complimentary to all that new power.

That was one thing I didn’t do while I had it all apart and sometimes I wish I had. I only really want one when I’m doing back road driving as the car does weird things when your putting that power down in the twisties. For highway pulls and Mexico driving it doesn’t really matter with good tires And supporting mods.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion

x2

MK6_604

Passed Driver's Ed
I went with APR because I was tuned by them anyways. Its held up really well so far. Agree with alot of the comments here regarding intercoolers too. Definitely very useful but maybe a bit less so given your climate.
Which file do you run from APR? 91 octane?

What kind of peak boost numbers do you see with it?

Also people underestimate summer in BC. Last summer we saw high Temps of 46 degrees C (115 F) so I consider the intercooler a must.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Which file do you run from APR? 91 octane?

What kind of peak boost numbers do you see with it?

Also people underestimate summer in BC. Last summer we saw high Temps of 46 degrees C (115 F) so I consider the intercooler a must.
I run the 93 map with 92 oct gas in Oregon + a small amount of water meth.

intercooler is great... but I know BC weather and the heat dome was kind of an oddity. 40C for a few days normally... normally not that bad right?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
On my K04 I ran a 100oct file with 91 in the tank and a dual nozzle (225cc just after intercooler, 225cc just after throttle body) water meth system running 50/50 and an APR intercooler. Ran it that way daily for 4 years and I live in a desert climate area of Southern California where it gets over 100F a lot.