GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 Dyno Consumer Reports APR vs GIAC vs UNI

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
What: With the help of others a Dyno test will be conducted on three similar modified K04 powered MK6 GLI's which are only separated by different tuning company's.

Why: To answer questions on which tune is right for YOU!

When: July 13th, 2013

How: Each vehicle will be dynoed on the same DYNOJET dyno, on the same day, in the same 93 octane mode, and in the same weather conditions.

This is a 100% non-bias test which is paid individually by each vehicle owner. There is no questionable plot or intent to make any company look negative. The sole purpose of this test is to inform consumers of the different options that are available. I plan to post the best dyno runs of each vehicle and also overlay the best runs to show power curve. Each vehicle is equipped with the latest off the shelf public tune.

I'm currently also trying to have a Eurodyne MK6 GTI join in the testing.

Any discussion/ideas are welcome BUT please leave the negative criticism out!

Please Note - This Dyno reads 10-20whp Lower then most other Dynojets

APR Logs..

GIAC Logs..

100 Octane..

UNI Logs..

APR 93 Octane Dyno

GIAC 93 Octane Dyno

GIAC 93 octane vs GIAC 100 octane Dyno

Months before switching to GIAC, Shawn was APR tuned and performed a baseline Dyno

My K04 APR 93 6spd vs GIAC K04 93 DSG

APR K04 V2 6spd vs APR K04 V2.2 Beta DSG

APR K04 93 FBO DSG

APR K04 DSG V2.2 Beta

APR K04 93 vs Eurodyne W/M K04 DSG MBC (note DSG/Tire slip so unable to get reading below 3.5 rpms Other runs with higher boost level yielded more power but this was cleaner graph)

;)

Last edited:

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
What intercoolers do the cars run? Do any of you guys have upgraded valve springs since the cars are GLI's?

I'm not trying to break balls just wondering if you are running tunes to account for the weak springs.....

Last edited:

Veracity

Ready to race!
Are all of the owners knowledgeable enough to be sure their cars are running properly? Correct fuel, no boost leaks or other problems?

I'd also suggest asking all participants to show up with their fuel light on or as close to empty as possible and then have everyone fill up with 93 at the same time. (draining tanks would be even better)

Try to at least log the basics on each car: boost, timing, a/f, IAT

Tell the owners not to beat on the cars before arrival. If the first car goes on hot it will not dyno as well as the last which has time to cool down.

Ask the dyno operator to run each car until the numbers are pretty consistent. If they only do 3 pulls after an ecu has been reset or say switched out of race mode the results could be skewed. Ask the participants to not switch programs or reset the ECU within a few days of the test.

I hope this goes well but unfortunately almost all dyno shootouts end badly. There's always a "broken car", "a bad dyno operator" or "someone cheating". Do your best to eliminate these variables. Good luck :)

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Are all of the owners knowledgeable enough to be sure their cars are running properly? Correct fuel, no boost leaks or other problems?

I'd also suggest asking all participants to show up with their fuel light on or as close to empty as possible and then have everyone fill up with 93 at the same time. (draining tanks would be even better)

Tell the owners not to beat on the cars before arrival. If the first car goes on hot it will not dyno as well as the last which has time to cool down.

Ask the dyno operator to run each car until the numbers are pretty consistent. If they only do 3 pulls after an ecu has been reset or say switched out of race mode the results could be skewed. Ask the participants to not switch programs or reset the ECU within a few days of the test.

I hope this goes well but unfortunately almost all dyno shootouts end badly. There's always a "broken car", "a bad dyno operator" or "someone cheating". Do your best to eliminate these variables. Good luck :)

That would be awesome if we could see the logs of the runs as well as the dyno graphs

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
I put a feeler into the local Eurodyne shop and the Owner mentioned one might come..

Did you have one? Lutz isn't too far..

:thumbsup:
Nope, still stock, I dont know of any tsi k04s in the area. Most are at stage 2 or less

NCedillos

Es Un Jefe
Too bad APR didn't get their new tune out in time lawl.

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
What intercoolers do the cars run? Do any of you guys have upgraded valve springs since the cars are GLI's?

I'm not trying to break balls just wondering if you are running tunes to account for the weak springs.....

More specific Modification details will be disclosed when I have everyone's information.

Not every GLI suffers from weak exhaust springs but two of the three vehicles have upgraded springs. The dyno numbers would only be effected after 5800 Rpm's and if an issue arises it will be disclosed.

I am one of the owners and I can assure you each vehicle will be running right before getting on the dyno. I'm bringing an extra set of coils and plugs Just in case.

None of us have intentions to cheat or skew the results. If things are not too hectic I might run some logs but won't make any guarantees.

Obviously I can't predict a broken vehicle or dyno but were not exactly testing super high HP race vehicles. I can't stress it enough that this test is designed for only good intentions. I am trying to stay optimistic but everyone must understand that this test is not 100% accurate but its the best we can do and is the only test of its kind I'm aware of.

;)

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
I can't stress it enough that this test is designed for only good intentions. I am trying to stay optimistic but everyone must understand that this test is not 100% accurate but its the best we can do and is the only test of its kind I'm aware of.

;)

Dude this is awesome what you are doing. I love seeing real data on customer cars.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
None of us have intentions to cheat or skew the results. If things are not too hectic I might run some logs but won't make any guarantees.

Obviously I can't predict a broken vehicle or dyno but were not exactly testing super high HP race vehicles. I can't stress it enough that this test is designed for only good intentions. I am trying to stay optimistic but everyone must understand that this test is not 100% accurate but its the best we can do and is the only test of its kind I'm aware of.

;)

I think this is great and just surprised it took this long to get something like this done. You know there are going to be haters that will find something to bitch about.