GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 in near future

Buzby

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, so as im sure im not the only one to be planning to be spending my tax return on some goodies for my car, im. going ko4 finallyo_O. I tried searching the forum for keyword k04 but it returned no results which i thought was weird. So im wondering which ko4 to go with considering ive seen that the power they can handle brand to brand differs. Im currently looking at IE, which im already tuned with, theirs ranges 330-390hp. HPA states up to 355, UNI says 340 and so on. Im not sure if they are basing these numbers off of the software used to tune their own ko4 or what because it seems for the most part all of these are pretty much the same. Im looking for best reliability and numbers first then fitment, because i think im gonna have a shop install this for me. IE is currently out of stock but ive got some time before the time comes to buy. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
The tune determines what kinda numbers you see but the K04 can only deliver so much HP. Some companies may tweak things a bit (like a Unitronic kit uses a DV relocation).

I'd personally stick with a Borg Warner kit. They will run you more money (typically $500 more). HPA kit is what like $1500? So it uses a none OEM turbocharger. Typical cost of a BW kit is $2000. Some companies give you discounts if you have their software. You can basically run any kit with any software tho as they are all basically the same thing. I run a Uni tune with what I think was a Spulen Borg Warner kit (I bought it used).

Numbers are only a small portion of the overall tune tho.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
The tune determines what kinda numbers you see but the K04 can only deliver so much HP. Some companies may tweak things a bit (like a Unitronic kit uses a DV relocation).

I'd personally stick with a Borg Warner kit. They will run you more money (typically $500 more). HPA kit is what like $1500? So it uses a none OEM turbocharger. Typical cost of a BW kit is $2000. Some companies give you discounts if you have their software. You can basically run any kit with any software tho as they are all basically the same thing. I run a Uni tune with what I think was a Spulen Borg Warner kit (I bought it used).

Numbers are only a small portion of the overall tune tho.
exactly why i went with the uni kit... it is a genuine BW turbo that has been modified (welded compressor outlet)

only thing i missed when doing my k04 was not stacking or using thick enough washer on the coolant input, other than that, it really wasnt too hard, on par with a clutch job.