GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 Turbo Outlet Pipe Options?

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Just curious if there are any K04 specific turbo outlet pipe options other than the Neuspeed and CTS options. If not, which one are people running and what are your experiences? I've read there were some fitment issues on early Neuspeed models but I'm not sure if this has been resolved or not. Neuspeed one is on sale and CTS is not. I have a CTS K04 sitting on the shelf but I'm not going to put it in until I get new engine mounts, outlet pipe and of course soiftware and TCU tune.

The strange thing I don't understand is that CTS says their kit will only work with their outlet pipe for the K04 or the stock pancake pipe. Why wouldn't a standard TSI outlet pipe work if the stock one does? Can someone please educate me on this? Doing this would open up the available options to Spullen, ARM, Forge and so on.... The CTS kit has a funky silicone outlet pipe with a DV relocation nipple that came with a block off plug that I'm not really a fan of. I would be happy to ditch this if it opens up the options to other outlet pipes. Any info is appreciated!

jhstl

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the CTS kit on my GTI right now.

I'm using the AWE tuning TOP along with the S3 intercooler kit that they sell. I didn't like the silicone outlet coupler that CTS included with their kit either, so I contacted APR and they sold me their version. To me, there was no reason the AWE TOP wouldn't have worked with the CTS coupler, I just didn't like the DV relocation plug either. I would think any of the turbo outlet pipes designed to work with the stock turbo would work with CTS's K04 kit.

When you get around to installing the CTS K04, you may run into clearance issues with the intake coupler on the top side of the turbo. Several of us running the CTS kit have had to re-clock the turbo slightly in order for it to clear the valvecover and hard-lines. Just something to keep in mind.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
^ Great info. I bought my kit NIB from a private seller rather than from CTS so i removed the compressor housing to inspect the turbo and to clean up the compressor housing mounting to the outlet flange. No worries about reclocking...

flight1us

Ready to race!
I'm also curious about this

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Tempted to buy the ARM version intended for stock K03 and give it a shot. On sale for ~$85 shipped....

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I feel the same way. If stock fits, why have a specific one?

In any case, my only input is my buddy bought an ARM intercooler for a BMW and it fit terribly. Couldn't install it ultimately. Not saying they all fit bad and on diff cars, but just a heads up.

EuroHB

Ready to race!
Ran into this issue.. Shop is installing HPA K04 and I have the nuespeed (non K04 pipe) and the piping was 2.25inch and the HPA was 2.00, we ordered a 90 deg 2.25 to 2.00 and it matted perfectly.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
I bought the Neuspeed TOP (k04) and charge pipe. Took a gamble on the fitment issues, but most of the recent reviews have been positive. Don't have a k04 yet, so I can't give you my thoughts. Will know in the spring.

flight1us

Ready to race!
Hmmm you just gave me an idea, i too have the HPA k04 how do you like it?

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Picked up the Neuspeed TOP for the K04. Looks the same as the standard pipe but just a bit shorter.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
So just as a update of sorts. I've been running a BW CTS K04 for over a year (never had fitment or re-clock issues), the APR silicone elbow and the Neuspeed K04 outlet pipe. Fitment was meh but worked..... until recently. Its short both vertically (bottom of elbow just barely over top of outlet pipe) and horizontally (connecting two bottom mounting bolts to block stretches out the top silicone elbow. I had the connection at the turbo come loose and and I attempted to reconnect it I realized the Neuspeed pipe is way to short and is made for a different application (not sure what). You have to stretch out the elbow to make it work and if there is any trace oil on the mating surfaces and you don't get it tight enough, it will come loose or leak. I'm likely going to have to put the pancake pipe back in temporarily until I figure something out. Either CTS K04 specific pipe or another brand outlet pipe intended for the K03. Might even try the CTS elbow if its larger than the APR one...