GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KO4 Tunes- Question- Cobb Tuners in New England?

JOHNDERS2586

Ready to race!
So just bit the bullet, ordered a HPA KO4 kit an supporting mods. Now i really need to narrow down tunes. There is a lot of info out there. I have COBB AP currently. I am hoping to stay with COBB. There are not a lot of Pro tuners near me that i am aware of, a few listed in Cobbs website that are several hours away in CT.. 1 Pro tuner in NH "Kinetic Motorworks" which I know specializes more in Subaru game.. Not sure if anyone here in the North east would recommend a certain shop? I'm in NH.. Also wondering if an E tune like Sneeky Tune offers a "KO4" tune.. Anyone ever used them for the K04 tune? I know Pro tune would be best.. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Stratified Tune

You send them some logs and they will fine tune it and send you revisions

JOHNDERS2586

Ready to race!
Yes, I have a Stratified tune currently (stg 1). I asked them about this, an they told me they cannot do a flash tune for KO4, only a Protune in house (on the other side of the country), due to all the variables.. That's what they told me anyway..

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Maybe they changed it.

I run a Unitronic K04 file and it’s been great. I was going to go Strat when I added water meth tho because I could send files in and they would tweak them but if they don’t anymore then I’ll have to go another route.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I'm running ProTune from Stratified for my K04, worth the price. I ran APR K04 tune for 6 years and made the switch over.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I'm running ProTune from Stratified for my K04, worth the price. I ran APR K04 tune for 6 years and made the switch over.

What did you notice going this route? More boost, more low-end or more top-end??

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
What did you notice going this route? More boost, more low-end or more top-end??
I actually went back to stock MAP vs 3bar map for k04, the tuner is working around with 22psi. I had APR k04 tune before, but the tune was too peaky and I ran into a lot of heating issues on track days especially in CA heat when its 95F+. I dont want peak numbers, just want better powerband and heat control. But so far, stratified protune driveability and power deliver is much better than APR k04 tune. Even with less boost the car feels much faster.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I actually went back to stock MAP vs 3bar map for k04, the tuner is working around with 22psi. I had APR k04 tune before, but the tune was too peaky and I ran into a lot of heating issues on track days especially in CA heat when its 95F+. I dont want peak numbers, just want better powerband and heat control. But so far, stratified protune driveability and power deliver is much better than APR k04 tune. Even with less boost the car feels much faster.

Good to know. I had an IE tune just after I went K04 but had a bunch of problems with it in the beginning. I kept on having to flash back to Stg 2 while they fixed it. When they eventually fixed the problem, I ran it without any issues for several months and then randomly the tune started pulling WGDC under load and it got progressively worse to the point it was undrivable. Almost like a soft limp mode under moderate load but no codes were thrown. IE threw several revisions at it but nothing worked. I threw a bunch of parts at it but that didn't work either (MAF, both fuel pumps, N75, MAP). I eventually talked IE into a refund and then flashed APRs K04 3.1 file. That fixed the problem and having K04 power back was great but now I feel like more is to be had. The APR file is ok, but it doesn't pair well with the IE DSG tune. It shifts too early under anything but full WOT. I feel like IE had more low end, more usable torque but this is coming from my butt dyno analysis. I don't track my car and I live up north so heat isn't a major issue for me. What IC do you run? Considered WM?

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Good to know. I had an IE tune just after I went K04 but had a bunch of problems with it in the beginning. I kept on having to flash back to Stg 2 while they fixed it. When they eventually fixed the problem, I ran it without any issues for several months and then randomly the tune started pulling WGDC under load and it got progressively worse to the point it was undrivable. Almost like a soft limp mode under moderate load but no codes were thrown. IE threw several revisions at it but nothing worked. I threw a bunch of parts at it but that didn't work either (MAF, both fuel pumps, N75, MAP). I eventually talked IE into a refund and then flashed APRs K04 3.1 file. That fixed the problem and having K04 power back was great but now I feel like more is to be had. The APR file is ok, but it doesn't pair well with the IE DSG tune. It shifts too early under anything but full WOT. I feel like IE had more low end, more usable torque but this is coming from my butt dyno analysis. I don't track my car and I live up north so heat isn't a major issue for me. What IC do you run? Considered WM?
I run the IE FDS intercooler. Don’t plan on running wmi, the less complicated the better for me

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Planning to run a catted DP or just going to live with the CEL?

I'm considering jumping off cobb's platform when I start messing with the turbo... As much as I love my tunes from stratified, the green speed update means they can't make the adjustments for my catless Dp, SAI delete, and problematic ozone reduction sensor

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Freektune is in New Boston, he does dyno tunes for cobb I think

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
BrenTuning in Upton.