GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking intercooler pipe

soboro

I have a 2011 DSG GTI with just over 170k km. I recently noticed a leak coming from the driver side and believe it may be coming from the intercooler pipe (P/N linked to VW parts page: 1K0145834AM). Has anyone had this issue before? Would I need to replace that entire pipe or maybe just the O-ring? Also, is this by any chance a symptom of a faulty water pump? I'm aware that the water pump is a common issue for MK6 GTIs, and I don't think mine has ever been replaced.

Here's what it looks like from below with the underbody cover removed:
underside.jpg

I'm also not sure if there is a missing hoseclamp on that connection to the intercooler - I saw a video where someone did have a hoseclamp there but I'm not sure if it had been added as an extra precaution.

Is there anything else that would be good to check knowing that there is a leak here?

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Oil mist gets caught up in the intake stream and will eventually leak out of the connection you've pictured, and one on the other side right next to the crank pulley, before the inlet of the intercooler. It's totally normal for some oil to pool up in these locations, but only some. If it's more than say, a tablespoon's worth or so, there might be an issue up the stream. Replacing the o-ring should do the trick. If you wanna be a completionist, the retaining clip is only a few more bucks. But it shouldn't be necessary to replace that.

And no, this has nothing to do with the water pump.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
This is happening to my GTI now, noticed it a couple days ago, wiped the pipe clean, and nothing so far, from the last time I checked...

If it happens again, I will get it checked out. Keeping an eye on it. It should not be a lot of oil pooling up...
I got the PCV replaced a couple years ago, so it's not the PVC.

I will check again if it's coming from the top of the IC but not likely.

Attachments

• oildrippingoffIC.jpeg
    oildrippingoffIC.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 297

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I got the PCV replaced a couple years ago, so it's not the PVC.
This is not an indication that the problem ISN'T the PCV. These things fail, and fail often, and may have been defective from the start. If the part isn't OEM, expect it to be the cause. If the part is OEM, check it anyway, and maybe toss in the bulletproof fix kit.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Bulletproof fix would be a catch can I'm assuming?

I'll check the PCV... I'll do the engine running and pulling out the dipstick or engine oil cap to see if the engine runs rough test...
I know theres other ways to test it but this ^ would be the easiest...

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
not the engine oil cap, by removing the dipstick... if I remove the oil engine cap while the engine is running, oil will go all over the place

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Bulletproof fix would be a catch can I'm assuming?

I'll check the PCV... I'll do the engine running and pulling out the dipstick or engine oil cap to see if the engine runs rough test...
I know theres other ways to test it but this ^ would be the easiest...
This is what I installed, and I've had all my oil seepage issues remedied. https://www.ebay.com/itm/233114364631?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

As far as pulling the dip stick while running, this test works if the diaphragm has failed almost completely. It won't work if the diaphragm has micro-tears. Where did you get your PCV? Have you noticed oil seeping from the oil cap filler neck?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
So can I install that component with the OEM Hengst PCV?

please view the images of my current PCV installed at a VW/Audi specialized shop.

it’s a big image file. Let it load.

it’s been at least two years since I replaced the PCV.

there’s no more oil coming out the elbow pipe connecting to the IC.

see images for both PCV and current situation.

i want to know if that component you listed will work

Attachments

• 228568A1-904D-47B5-84B1-11C46603D48B.jpeg
    228568A1-904D-47B5-84B1-11C46603D48B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 192
  • D4868CF3-99EC-40C6-9C28-974EF510701D.jpeg
    D4868CF3-99EC-40C6-9C28-974EF510701D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 365
  • BA13D135-D8AB-475D-BAFF-B06FB63F2CB1.jpeg
    BA13D135-D8AB-475D-BAFF-B06FB63F2CB1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 187

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I ordered it... I have strong faith it will fit and solve this oil pooling problems.... ever since I bought this GTI in 2016-MARCH, I've been spending thousands of dollars on it EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!! lol.. but it's a BLAST to drive!!! so it's worth it and I WILL make the money back and more money! mindset of abundance!!!

I will report back after install... THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 2.18.37 PM💰.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 2.18.37 PM💰.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 120

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
FYI: 54.80$USD cost price.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
The kit works with any OEM PCV. If your part is legit OEM, it should work just fine. The hardest part of the install is getting the damn cap off the diaphragm housing. Other than that, it's a breeze. Car runs a lot smoother too.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
The kit works with any OEM PCV. If your part is legit OEM, it should work just fine. The hardest part of the install is getting the damn cap off the diaphragm housing. Other than that, it's a breeze. Car runs a lot smoother too.

it will fit. I have the OEM PCV installed on my MK6. I’ve posted pictures of it above.

I’m going to pay a shop to install this part on my MK6 PCV. Of course a VW/Audi specialized shop will do this install for me.

my MK6 did act up couple weeks ago where the RPM’s jumped during idle. It could be the PCV. Now the oil pooling by the IC elbow pipe is another sign it can be the PCV.

I strongly believe this install will fix things. Especially when you had similar issues and it resolved those issues for you.

I will install and monitor and get back to you guys. Thanks a lot!!!!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
So I can probably DIY it but I don’t wanna struggle with that cap you’re talking about.

also I don’t wanna mess up the install… it might be easy to install after removing the cap but I don’t wanna gamble with it.

I booked an appointment for next week (26th).

I will report back after install.
ONLY reason I’m doing this purchase and install is because I want to keep my GTI for another 40 years.

or else I would’ve sold it and bought something else.

only thing stopping me is alll the mods and repairs I’ve made on my MK6 GTI…

if I do sell it, whoever buys it will get a head start with a GTI that’s been restored, upgraded and heavily modified.

I honestly fixed all the weak points on my MK6 GTI.
And I still continue to do so.

Momma didn’t raise a quitter!!!!