GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED fog light questions

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
one of my fog lights went out so i replaced both with LED 6000k bulbs (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07VS7VFSV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I'm having a weird issue, I'm not sure if its just related to my car or if this is how it is with LED bulbs.

1st issue: when I start the car the LEDs come on fine and are on as my fog lights are setup to be my DRLs and my low beams are completely off during the day, at night when my low beams come on I wanted to see how the fog lights and low beams would look together so I turn on the fogs and they flicker but wont turn on with the low beams, if I turn all my lights off and go back to just DRL the fog lights light up perfectly fine, what am I missing here?

**note** also specifically for my car I am running an aftermarket auto light switch with a sensor to turn my lights on and off, looks exactly like an oem euro auto switch but its a cheap aftermarket one, but it works perfectly fine and isn't giving me any issues with my lights and was working fine with my halogen fog lights.

2nd issue: most times it wont give me a bulb out error, but sometimes it will, are these just defective bulbs?

any help is appreciated.

**Update**

after moving around my euro switch to different positions, I now know how to run my fog lights and my headlights on at the same time, (weird that its different from how I originally would turn them on)

bulb out error only occurs if I have my e-brake up during start up, preventing my fogs (DRLs) from fully turning on, if I start my car with the e-brake down and my fog lights are on before the car goes through its light check, i wont get an error.

any advice on how to not get a bulb out error with my e-brake up? I also have LED (euro/golf r) tail lights that are coded to 1F on my 2010 GTI autobahn i was reading somewhere that the led tail lights and fog lights are linked together somehow for light check diagnostics

Last edited:

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
the bulbs have a canbus built in, do you think if I buy an additional "decoder / anti-flicker resistor" this may solve my problems?

Phur

Autocross Champion
If you have the fog lights coded to be DRLs then when you turn your headlights on, your fog lights (DRLs) are trying to dim. The way that leds actually dim is they flicker (usually faster than the eye can detect). That is why the led tails are hard to photograph.

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
If you have the fog lights coded to be DRLs then when you turn your headlights on, your fog lights (DRLs) are trying to dim. The way that leds actually dim is they flicker (usually faster than the eye can detect). That is why the led tails are hard to photograph.
I figured out how to run the foglights and headlights at the same time with the euro switch. my only issue right now is the bulb out error that happens at start up, here's the issue

Scenario 1
if I start the car and put the e brake down right away / if I put the e brake down and start the car, I get no bulb out error because the foglights will be fully illuminated and giving the right signal/voltage through the canbus decoder built into the light

Scenario2
now if I start the car and leave the e brake up and let the car go through its bulb check without the foglights being on, it will send voltage to the foglight to check if they work and when it does that it flickers and sends a bulb out warning because of the low voltage it reported back to the system due to it being an LED

from my research the last week I have 2 options either code my DRLs (foglights) to be on all the time if the key is in the accessory or engine on position regardless if my e-brake is up or not or buy an additional decoder and see if that helps.

I have ordered the additional decoder after reaching out to RCP on amazon and got their recommended decoder.
Its supposed to show up Sunday, so once I have it installed I will report back my findings for anyone in the future that wants to run LED fogs as DRLs without an error