GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED Taillights

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
Hey guys so almost 2 years ago i swapped my regular taillights from my MK6 GTI to the "euro Golf R" LED taillights. they work fine and look amazing but i have the bulb out error as expected, i lived with it for about a year before i got an OBDEleven, googled how to change the coding to clear the codes and was still confused so i left it, but its really beginning to annoy me

this is the thread https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/zvps-2012-vw-gti.225913/page-5#post-4614455

anyone know what i have to change Byte 18 to? its a 2010 GTI autobahn (Nav, Dynaudio, Leather) Xenon headlights WITHOUT LED DRL

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Maybe check Ross-tech.com? I did that when I recoded mine, there's a lot of info there and you can ask questions, they will answer you. Mine is a 2014 GTI with LED DRL, so yours will be different.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Have you tried any of the three options in the link you posted? I thought with obdeleven it had quick coding and the unit came with a certain number of credits at purchase.

torga

Autocross Champion
Looks like 1F, 20, or 55 for you (or 15 if yours have rear fogs). Since it's so easy to change the bytes with ODBeleven, just go down the line. I have no rear fogs and halogen headlights, so my byte 18 change was 1F.

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
Have you tried any of the three options in the link you posted? I thought with obdeleven it had quick coding and the unit came with a certain number of credits at purchase.

I havent tried the 3 numbers yet in fear of messing something up, can i easily change back to the original number? Also the only time you need the credits for OBDEleven is when you are doing a quick "app" change, long coding, troubleshooting, scanning is all free. What i mean by "apps" is there is a section called "apps" where people have done the long coding for you and all you have to do is select your mod and pay by credit and it will make the changes automatically for you. i did that for the gauge sweep, windows up and down, comfort turn signal to 5, and a couple other things since mine came with 500 credits. but those can all be done without credits if you long code.

also you can obtain free credits by watching ads

Looks like 1F, 20, or 55 for you (or 15 if yours have rear fogs). Since it's so easy to change the bytes with ODBeleven, just go down the line. I have no rear fogs and halogen headlights, so my byte 18 change was 1F.

I see, so can i just change the number, see if it doesnt work then keep trying with the other numbers until it works? or should i have do some type of backup first, if one of the numbers dont work, should i revert back to the original setting first then try again with the second number or just jump straight to the second number? in the videos iv watched on youtube, it seems like "20" is the number for me

i know i sound crazy with the questions, just want to make sure i dont mess with the electronics then create an overall bigger issue then i started with.

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
Maybe check Ross-tech.com? I did that when I recoded mine, there's a lot of info there and you can ask questions, they will answer you. Mine is a 2014 GTI with LED DRL, so yours will be different.

I will ask on this too, thanks for the link!

zrickety

The Fixer
1F worked for me.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Indeed; copy down the originals, that's a must.

Offtopic but back in 2005 ish we had to manually enter coding strings at the dealership. So you would have to go to a computer, enter in whatever info was required and then it would spit you a print out with a fairly large coding string. You would return to the car and diagnostic comp and enter the entire thing manually. If you made a mistake on a single digit it wouldn't work... So this dude next to me is trying to code this car for about a half hour. He's getting REALLLLY pissed bc it won't work... I didn't want to intrude(like I knew everything) but he was about to go postal in there so.... I go take a look and he hadn't scrolled down all the way. He only needed to enter two more digits at the very bottom of the screen. And he had keyed it in wrong probably 10x lol

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
^^^^^^^^^^^
Yea, those long codes, good grief; and if you're just one digit off.......ugh.

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
Alright so with this Covid-19 craziness happening i decided to do some things to my GTI that have been on the back burner since i have all the time in the world now, one of which is getting rid of the damn bulb out error because of my LED taillights.

i wanted to update everyone on this and how to do it from OBDEleven cause i finally got around to doing it!!

I was scared i would mess something up so i took a screen shot of the coding that was there already ( btw i put byte 18 in wrong twice and nothing got damaged)

1) Connect OBDEleven into OBD port
2) Turn the car on
3) Open the OBDEleven app and hit connect
4) Once connected go to Central Electronics
5) Use the arrows to move between the Bytes until you get to Byte 18
6) Once there click where it says HEX00 near the top right
7) Change the number to either 20, 21,55 or 1F depending on your car and options (in my case 2010 GTI Autobahn with NON LED Xenon's it was 1F)
8) Click and hold the green arrow at the bottom until it says "coding successfully saved/changed"
9) From there turn the car off open and close the drivers door then turn the car back on and test

if it didnt work try the other numbers listed until it does. (that's what i did and how i got to 1F)

Also these are pretty much the exact same instructions for VCDS/Vagcom if you dont have an OBDEleven

now finally after 2 years i don't have that annoying bulb out error and the lights work great. Thanks for everyone's time in helping me figure out how to do this