GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LMS: Aftermarket Clutches & Crank Walk

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
I'm new to the Golf GTI/R scene, and this is the first I'm hearing of this issue, but apparently it has been around for a while - have you guys experienced this?

I've got a Mk6 R with 103k miles or so and I hate how the clutch (DKM) engages (really low to the ground) - will probably get a south bend to mitigate the issue, but anyone here really look into this?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
It's by no means a cut and dry situation as myself and many others question the "sky is falling" mentality with reported cases being counted on one hand and many mitigating factors for the failures.

There's a thread on vortex "Are-you-having-weird-issues-with-the-pedal-shifting-is-hard-in-any-way-I-know-what-it-is-and-it-is-not-good" with a bunch of info and discussion.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
A few guys beat their engines to death and are blaming the thrust bearings for not being able to cope with abusive driving.

It's the same two dudes making all the noise everywhere, neither has concrete proof that the thrust bearings are the root of the failure, and one of them is selling a kit that's purported to alleviate the issue, which means he has a vested financial interest in getting as many people panicking about it as possible.

These cars are pushing 10 years old, and the engine architecture has been around since 2005. With as many highly modified GTIs and Rs as there are out there, and as on top of things as these forums and Facebook groups are, we'd have known about it before late 2019 if it was an actual issue with the engine.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
to be fair - the bypass clutch to start kit they are selling is maybe $40 usd - i bought one myself. including cost and shipping (from uk), i'd guess he makes like 10 bucks on it.

re: beat their engines to death - i am planning to beat the hell out of this car, like i do with my evo and m3. while anything can happen, i wasn't exactly expecting a failure like this one. the evo is bulletproof and the m3 has been pretty damn reliable (just need to watch rod bearings). was kind of hoping this car would be the same.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
A few guys beat their engines to death and are blaming the thrust bearings for not being able to cope with abusive driving.

Certainly seems that way. Conclusions don't seem very scientific.

to be fair - the bypass clutch to start kit they are selling is maybe $40 usd - i bought one myself. including cost and shipping (from uk), i'd guess he makes like 10 bucks on it.1

This is where I landed, I just bought my Stg 3 R with 51k on it a couple months ago good maintenance records but plan to send an oil sample to Blackstone. Pushing the clutch to start is a pain anyway, I grabbed a kit not because I feel like it solves an issue but to make my life easier, and if it does help and there is an issue.....hey, bonus. LOL

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
re: beat their engines to death - i am planning to beat the hell out of this car, like i do with my evo and m3. while anything can happen, i wasn't exactly expecting a failure like this one. the evo is bulletproof and the m3 has been pretty damn reliable (just need to watch rod bearings). was kind of hoping this car would be the same.

These engines are plenty stout - I'm at 165k on stage 2+ with no issues at all. There's a difference between using your performance and abusing your equipment.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
These engines are plenty stout - I'm at 165k on stage 2+ with no issues at all. There's a difference between using your performance and abusing your equipment.

good to hear, and definitely agree with you there. been doing the track thing for a few years now, and definitely have learned what needs to be kept up with

transam

Hello everybody- I bought my golf R with 42,000 and did a apr stage 2+ about 50,000 miles or so, including a stage 2 Black Forest clutch. The shop just diagnosed crank walk and the only thing I could think of that would make it happen is the clutch. Is that reasonable? I’m gutted. The car still has a extended warranty on it that I bought, so I’m going to try my luck. Any advice?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
clutch has been on the car for 50k miles?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
well - you're lucky it's been caught. you have more info? How it was diagnosed? you drain oil for analysis?

If it's been caught and hasn't ruined the motor yet, stop driving, pull the pan, and swap the bearings. Bearings are pretty cheap.

transam

I’ll try to attach the video from the vw service guys... this is how they diagnosed it, and then a code came back confirming it. They are saying a full engine swap or a long/short block rebuild which seems excessive to me. They are friends so I don’t think they are trying to clean me out... he’s going to call the warranty guys today, but my hopes are not high about the potential. I guess I can’t post video... he shows under the car how he is able to move the harmonic balancer back and forth slightly

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Just circling back on this. Never did get around to installing the defeat harness, still sitting in the garage.

Hello everybody- I bought my golf R with 42,000 and did a apr stage 2+ about 50,000 miles or so, including a stage 2 Black Forest clutch. The shop just diagnosed crank walk and the only thing I could think of that would make it happen is the clutch. Is that reasonable? I’m gutted. The car still has a extended warranty on it that I bought, so I’m going to try my luck. Any advice?

Seems extreme, even if this phenomenon is real to have a new clutch destroy the bearing in 8000 miles.

Not sure exactly when the clutch in mine was installed as previous owner did not get that from original owner, however when he bought it at 32,000 miles the Stg 3 Endo was already installed. I just got my second oil analysis back after my oil change at 63,000 miles. I did an analysis right when I bought it at 51,000 as well to get a baseline and see the state of the engine with the stage 3 turbo and everything came back clean with no wear issues. So at least 31k miles on the clutch and likely more than that.

Emerging trends look very nice, indeed. Metals didn't vary by more than 2 ppm, and the overall
consistency is just what you'd like to find since this oil change interval was similar to the first you sampled.
No wear-related issues stand out. The viscosity is low for 0W/40, but consistent with the first sample so this engine likely just sheared the oil down a bit (harmless). No fuel showed up (the flashpoint is high enough to rule it out) and the oil filter worked well (see low insolubles).

Excellent report for your Golf R

If simply installing a clutch with high holding power destroyed bearings my car should be showing some serious signs of issues but it isn't.

If you're still around be interested to know what the warranty company said, assume they would deny based on the tune.

transam

Just circling back on this. Never did get around to installing the defeat harness, still sitting in the garage.

Seems extreme, even if this phenomenon is real to have a new clutch destroy the bearing in 8000 miles.

Not sure exactly when the clutch in mine was installed as previous owner did not get that from original owner, however when he bought it at 32,000 miles the Stg 3 Endo was already installed. I just got my second oil analysis back after my oil change at 63,000 miles. I did an analysis right when I bought it at 51,000 as well to get a baseline and see the state of the engine with the stage 3 turbo and everything came back clean with no wear issues. So at least 31k miles on the clutch and likely more than that.

If simply installing a clutch with high holding power destroyed bearings my car should be showing some serious signs of issues but it isn't.

If you're still around be interested to know what the warranty company said, assume they would deny based on the tune.

Thanks for the info, that’s super interesting. I have a feeling my motor was made on the wrong day or something. And I also totally lucked out which I didn’t expect. The warranty company that was actually through Ford honored a full replacement. VW put in a long block and it has 1,600 on it now. The warranty company wanted to inspect it and required the motor be removed from the car, which would’ve been my bill if they had denied it. But it was either take that risk or auction it off. I can’t believe it actually was honored. The work was done properly and I guess that’s what they look for. The aftermarket part can’t be blamed unless is was installed poorly, and that’s due to some court precedent I’m pretty sure. Anyway, thanks for the note and info. Super interesting to hear