GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

looking for some more sound. Catback or DP possibilities

Doommachine_

Not getting the feels for my GTI on the twisties and I would like to have some more exhaust note. Currently on a Stage 1.5 custom tune and not geeling a huge urge for more power. Also in California but not totally turned off by a catted downpipe but I am just not sure only a downpipe will give me the sound I would like. Considering like a Rev.9 catback or something under 500.00 that will give me some nice sound but not obnoxious. I am 39 years old and am not interested in anything too loud.

torga

Autocross Champion
Just don't cheap out too much with a catback, you'll get the sound you pay for.
If you want to go the ultra cheap route before dropping money on a CBE, you could try deleting your stock resonator. It deepens the exhaust note and makes it slightly louder.

As far as sound, unless you go catless, almost any catted exhaust configuration on this car sounds very respectable and refined when driving casually. It's when you start giving it some good throttle that the floodgates open and the valkyries sing.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Res delete on stage 1 is a nice moderate upgrade in sound and cost $60. Once I added a dp (hi flow cat) and went stage 2 it got much louder. I can try to get a video of it for you if you want.

A good cat back will give you a nice refined sound but I am enjoying my res delete at the moment.

Doommachine_

Still trying to figure out the best way to do this. Watching many differant sound vids and not sure I have come to a conclusion. Seen many that sound rather raspy and not all that good. I am fine looking at muffler deletes or changing mufflers and resonator if need be. Must sound good though which is main concern. Too old to be driving around with a raspy half assed exhaust sound, and my wife won't drive it if it drones or is too loud

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Still trying to figure out the best way to do this. Watching many differant sound vids and not sure I have come to a conclusion. Seen many that sound rather raspy and not all that good. I am fine looking at muffler deletes or changing mufflers and resonator if need be. Must sound good though which is main concern. Too old to be driving around with a raspy half assed exhaust sound, and my wife won't drive it if it drones or is too loud

My wife didn't like my res delete with the stock dp. The frequency bothered her ears. She has not been in the car since I put the dp on but she will hate it even more :LOL:. With the stock dp it is a very mild sound in my opinion. If you are not upgrading the dp I would say it would be what you are looking for. Once a dp is installed it does have a rasp which I like and gets much louder.

Edit: Have you looked into the varex cat backs? Someone recently bought one for around $500. It has a valve that opens and closes to change the sound on the fly.

Last edited:

tofuD01

Ready to race!
Swap the stock resonator with a vibrant bottle resonator, slight drone and really nice sound, i swapped it for 2.75" milltek non resonated exhaust and i sort of regret it.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

tofuD01

Ready to race!
which size bottle resonator? 12"? 18"?

GolNat linked it just above, if you go for res delete, may as well fit this in place and it will sound good!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Last edited: