GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for summer tires

ThrowsException

I need to buy new tires for my GTI since this morning I noticed my left front is bubbled and just out of warranty. This is the fourth Perilli in three years on this car to fail. I'm looking into at this point buying a set of summer tires. I've never bought a set before. I've only ever purchased all season. What are some suggestions for a good set of summer tires for a 2012 GTI? Has anyone experimented with minus sizing the wheels?

KyleA

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm on my third set of Sumitomo HTR Z lll's. Love them. Great tire and available from TireRack for less than an arm or leg.

The Wiry Irishman

Ready to race!
Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Continental DWs if you want something solid for a bit less money.

Potenza RE-11 if you want something insane and expensive and don't mind a ~10k mile tread life.

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
Michelin Pilot Super Sports. End of story!

However, if you are on more of a budget, Continental DW are also outstanding.

Third, I would recommend Hankook V12's.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports. End of story!

Yep
Michelin pss ...
this :thumbsup:

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Everyone. I think I'm gonna go with a set of Michelin PSS and just be part of the in crowd. Thanks again.

Awesome choice, you won't regret it. Night and day difference from the stock tires our cars come with :w00t:

Btw, CostCo has the BEST deal by far (not sure if they're still running it though). Cost was about $170 per tire, and with installation (which includes balancing mounting etc), total after taxes and fees was like $760, which is an extremely amazing deal for the PSS.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Since you suffer from potholes, I'd go for 235/40 R18 size. Slightly beefier and
higher sidewalls, slightly higher load rating, meaning they should be tougher. If
you accept to swap your wheels also, I'd even recommend going for 17" wheels.
235/45 R17 would ride better as well. OE Denver wheels look smart on the Mk.
VI GTI (have been standard on Euro-spec GTI and basically same as Mk.V GTI):

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I'm due for summer tires as well (Running Direzza ZII almost bold right now). I still consider Michelins - just feel they are a bit fragile but leaning to them, since it's the reference. However, the Direzza's grip & sharp handling is so intoxicated that it might not matter too much: price, road noise & treadlife at the end. :23: