GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to Buy 2013 GTI but scared

Maxwell1219

Hello, I am new to the forum. I recently sold my 2007 GTI. I have my eye on a 2013 GTI (6spd). It has roughly 94,000 miles. It has service records and clean car fax, completely stock. I really want to pull the trigger and buy it but I’m scared of the timing chain/tensioner issues. Is 93,000 too high to buy? I’m all about maintenance and not abusing my cars. Should this car last me a good 5 years or so? All responses greatly appreciated. Thank you.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I think most, if not all of the 2013's have the new tensioner, but don't hold me to that. There are plenty of people here who are really familiar with when the new tensioners started being fitted. If it has the new tensioner, and has been maintained well, I wouldn't be too worried as long as the price it right.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yeah 2013 should have the updated tensioner (mine did).

Do you have OBD11 or VagCom? It would be ideal if you could check the timing chain stretch but if it was maintained well then no worries.

How many miles are you putting on it in a year?

Really the car could have been K04 and returned to stock and you wouldn't know unless you started taking it apart.

Maxwell1219

Do you have OBD11 or VagCom? It would be ideal if you could check the timing chain stretch but if it was maintained well then no worries.

How many miles are you putting on it in a year?

Really the car could have been K04 and returned to stock and you wouldn't know unless you started taking it apart.
I do not have OBD11 nor VagCom. And I’m not quite sure how many miles I’ll be putting on It per year. I’m assuming I won’t be putting a lot. I’m planning on going to the coast guard soon. So I will probably do a road trip in it. Then settle down somewhere. But to answer your question I don’t think I’ll be driving it too much.

Maxwell1219

I think most, if not all of the 2013's have the new tensioner, but don't hold me to that. There are plenty of people here who are really familiar with when the new tensioners started being fitted. If it has the new tensioner, and has been maintained well, I wouldn't be too worried as long as the price it right.
Asking price is 10.5k, I was going to offer 9 and go from there.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
You won't get far haggling right now. Used car prices are at an all time high...

MadSc13ntist

Ready to race!
I got my 2013 with 100k on it. One owner and drives like new. Already swapped out plugs, coil packs, Cobb AP arriving tomorrow and Strat tune will be added. Gave it an oil change and changed all the filters. I plan on driving it like I stole it daily. Did the same to my last vehicle until it had 213,000 miles when i sold it and still drove like a dream. These cars have great engines in them. Just keep up with your maintenance schedule, timing chain stretch and maybe the water pump. I always check my MPG's after every fill up. If there is ever a big change i know something is going on and time to start checking under the hood.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
If memory serves, the tensioner changed to the new style in mid-2012 model year. You should certainly have the new one.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie

How will the OBD11 tell you if the timing chain is stretched?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
How will the OBD11 tell you if the timing chain is stretched?
Tells you how much angle (in degrees) the cam has to adjust to compensate for slack in the chain.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Tells you how much angle (in degrees) the cam has to adjust to compensate for slack in the chain.

Wow... I didn't know this! If it's not too much trouble, could you tell us how to do this and where to find this? I just bought the OBD11 and am not too familiar with it yet. Thanks in advance.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Go to the live values section and find block 93. Car has to be warmed up and at idle.

torga

Autocross Champion
Ok, but what's a bad vs good number?
You want to see ±5º; that's considered the "good" range. If you're at ±4.0-4.5º, start setting aside money for a timing job -- don't wait 'til ±5º.