GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to lower the car. I'd really appreciate suggestions

NotSoShadyyy

As the title says. I'm looking to lower the car. I was recommended to just throw on some H&R springs but I'm at 100k miles and figured I might as well do coilovers. I was looking at some BC Racing coilovers and had mixed responses from my friends but they don't drive GTI's so I'm taking what they say with a grain of salt. So now I'm here and would really like to know what some good coil overs are for a budget of >1500 USD. Are the BC Racing ones good? Are they not? If not what is good? Any other supporting mods I should do with the coilovers? Thank you :)

GolNat

Autocross Champion
BC will probably be on the harsher side. Do you care about ride comfort more or performance? Are you looking to slam the car or a moderate drop?

I love my ST coilovers, nice balance of both.

NotSoShadyyy

BC will probably be on the harsher side. Do you care about ride comfort more or performance? Are you looking to slam the car or a moderate drop?

I love my ST coilovers, nice balance of both.
Don't wanna slam just a moderate drop. And I do daily drive the car so I think I'd prefer a teeny bit of comfort. I'll look into the ST coilovers that you're talking about

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
There are a number of shock/spring kits that will lower ride, improve handling for less than 1K. You don’t necessarily have to go with coilovers. For instance I went with the VWR kit. I have had it on the car for several months now and it provided a nice drop, decent comfort and very good handling. Cost of kit was around 800. I have also used Bilstein B8s and Eibach Sportlines for a very similar outcome and about same price, would also recommend them. Both setups were street friendly when it came to speed bumps and steep driveways etc. drop was just right for no hassle driving. Top car is VWR bottom is B8/Eibach. The MKV 340whp, saw track time and the setup handled very well.

Last edited:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
As the title says. I'm looking to lower the car. I was recommended to just throw on some H&R springs but I'm at 100k miles and figured I might as well do coilovers. I was looking at some BC Racing coilovers and had mixed responses from my friends but they don't drive GTI's so I'm taking what they say with a grain of salt. So now I'm here and would really like to know what some good coil overs are for a budget of >1500 USD. Are the BC Racing ones good? Are they not? If not what is good? Any other supporting mods I should do with the coilovers? Thank you :)
ST X COILOVERS FTW!!! no complaints at all. Get it with Tyrolsport inserts!

NotSoShadyyy

There are a number of shock/spring kits that will lower ride, improve handling for less than 1K. You don’t necessarily have to go with coilovers. For instance I went with the VWR kit. I have had it on the car for several months now and it provided a nice drop, decent comfort and very good handling. Cost of kit was around 800. I have also used Bilstein B8s and Eibach Sportlines for a very similar outcome and about same price, would also recommend them. Both setups were street friendly when it came to speed bumps and steep driveways etc. drop was just right for no hassle driving. Top car is VWR bottom is B8/Eibach. The MKV 340whp, saw track time and the setup handled very well.

The mkv has a really nice ride height, probably what I'm looking for. I'll look into this set up, thanks man!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
These right?
YESS!!!! this is what I got. From Park Auto. (SKU: 13281031)
https://www.parkautomotorsports.ca/products/st-suspension-x-coilover-system-mk6-golf-gti

day and night difference.
read all about it: https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/st-x-coilovers-installed-suggestions.409577/

I got it installed at an Audi/VW specialized shop. I picked it up the same day I dropped it off. The shop installed it and got wheel alignment done, but it wasn't really done (found out later when I did wheel alignment again after 7 days (of driving), make sure you drive the car after installing coilovers! it has to settle in and make sure you check and make adjustments after 7 days.

I left it at the highest level possible... I am not a fan of going max low... 1 inch drop all around, you can only fit a finger all around and not two or more fingers. It certainly gives a lowered look even at highest setting and the mk6 shell sits nice on wheels... it's nice to look at from afar. I know of other mk6 owners who have left it at max low setting and it looks nice, dope, sits really nice. I highly recommend it! if you don't have updated subframe inserts, go with TyrolSport and do both front and back, it compliments the new suspension system.

I attached a pic of how it looks at the highest setting. It got rid of wheel gap, I have scarped at some steep hill parking lots... like FML I forgot I lowered the car sometimes lol 0_0 (which prevents me from dropping the car even more... NO).

Attachments

• IloweredmyGTIYAY.jpg
    IloweredmyGTIYAY.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 45

GolNat

Autocross Champion
They used to cost like $800-$900. I got a used set to save some money but they are very nice. Basically KW’s without the iNox coating

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
They used to cost like $800-$900. I got a used set to save some money but they are very nice. Basically KW’s without the iNox coating
I heard... I bought this at $1,289CAD in August, right after I bought it, they bumped up the price to $1,4XXCAD.... I'm glad I bought it before the price increase but damn a $200 increase in a couple weeks is insane.

YES SIR! KW quality for sure. No regrets though. The Audi shop I go to recommended this suspension kit and I know they never steer me the wrong way so I went with it and a lot of people have good things to say about ST coilovers. It's a good brand. Pretty much KW's.

car parts are going to cost a lot more in the future... if you see something you like and you have the money for it, just buy it... they say you shouldn't buy an item that you can't afford five times, but this doesn't apply to car parts... because you need a car to get to point A to point B. I have a bicycle and e-scooter (both upgraded parts; chains, tires, brakes, etc) but I still like to have a car in running condition at any given time of the year.

Must. Stay. Ten. Steps. AHEAD!!!