GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Louder Horn Upgrade? (Hella Supertone)

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
I have the Hella Supertone horns on my GTI and they sound great. Nice and loud. I took the front bumper cover off to install them, and modified the stock horn connector for use with the Hella horns. No issues, they fit where the stock horns are just fine.
Hm, I must have messed something up then...

Did you have to install a different relay?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Stiv's

There are two horns (different tones to create dissonance) that are most easily replaced when the bumper is removed. I'm planning on splicing in to the wiring instead of cutting off the connectors because I'm not sure if there is a lot of extra length on the harness.

I'm planning on putting in those exact horns (already have them) soon for that exact reason.[/quoteTry Posi-Taps

Orient Express

Ready to race!
I have the Hella supertone horns in my 2010 GTI and they are great. They were pretty much a bolt in replacement, but I did have to fashion new electrical connectors. The biggest hassle is that to do the job right, the front bumper cover needs to be removed.

I also have these horns on my Nissan LEAF.

FerdiRock

Cut off the stock connector and crimp spade connectors on.

So I went through the install of the Hella Horns on my JSW. I ended up snipping the OEM connectors and extending the individual wires to the terminals on the back of each horn. I also relocated them using different mounting points. Somehow, they still don't sound as loud as I had hoped. Couple questions:

Is the brown wire the ground, and the black/white wire the power?

Do the horns use the existing ground wires to ground, or do they need to be grounded in another fashion?

Photos attached of my install process, along with a wiring diagram I found. The diagram confused me even further.

TannisHellaLSmounted.JPG tannisHellaRS.jpg horn_install.png

Orient Express

Ready to race!
Answers,
the brown wire is ground.
some horns have the ground as part of the horn chassis. If you put power to the chassis you will blow the horn circuit fuse. Just do a continuity test to see if either spades are also ground and mark accordingly.

The red cased Hella horns are the country horns and yellow are city horns (I think). I grave the red ones on my GTI and they are definitely autobahn horns. I put my horns where the stock ones were and soldered the OEM horn connectors to the Hella ones.

FerdiRock

Answers,
the brown wire is ground.
some horns have the ground as part of the horn chassis. If you put power to the chassis you will blow the horn circuit fuse. Just do a continuity test to see if either spades are also ground and mark accordingly.

The red cased Hella horns are the country horns and yellow are city horns (I think). I grave the red ones on my GTI and they are definitely autobahn horns. I put my horns where the stock ones were and soldered the OEM horn connectors to the Hella ones.

That's what I originally thought. I'm an electronics tech by nature and figured "brown = ground". However, this car makes me feel like I can't even plug a lamp into a light socket. 😑

I thought something was wrong because I could barely hear the horns when I was driving, but at a dead stop (with help from a neighbor) I could hear them both clearly. I'm not sure if it's the horn's forward-facing position, if the car is THAT WELL insulated, or if it's the fact that I got the "city horns" and not the "country horns" like I wanted.

1 more question, I promise:

I grounded the horns to the OEM ground wires, but do they need to be grounded elsewhere or additional grounds? (photo of the horn wired up before mounting. I extended the wires, insulated, then connected them to their corresponding tabs on the back of the horn. Not sure if it needs to be grounded elsewhere)

... Sorry for the book of a response, but I seriously appreciate all your help with this.

InkedTannisHellaLScloseup_LI.jpg

Last edited:

Orient Express

Ready to race!
If the case of the horn has continuity with one of the lugs on the connector, just make sure you don't connect the hot line to that lug. If neither lug has continuity with the case, it does not matter which lug gets the ground or hot line.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
How did you guys connect them electrically?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ECS sells a Supertone conversion kit for the Mk7 that includes a wiring harness and instructions. Installation would be the same regardless of what car you're working on, so that will give you an idea of how it should go.