GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lower Speed Vibration

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I have this vibration i can feel mainly in my pedals. Its kinda feels like im riding over the little reflector lights but not as severe of a bump.

It seems to only happen in speed from 10mph-35mph. After 35-40mph i dont feel it anymore. When im at idle or a stop there is no vibration only when moving in that 10-35mpg range.

Car is a 2011 dsg stock wheels with stock size tires (Conti extreme contact DW) Ive had the tires for at least 6 months with no issues. I only put on about 50 miles per week. I didnt have any vibrations yesterday on my ride home that i can remember. I parked in my garage and then when i pulled out and left the vibrations started.

When i just went to get lunch the vibrations were there as well.

Not that i think its related but i got a catback exhaust put on about a month and a half ago. Its not a regular rattle its a actual vibration in the pedals.

I would say i can feel it in the feet/pedals first.. then butt.. then hands.
Both gas and brake.

Any ideas?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
It happens in both drive and manual mode. Not reverse but then again i haven't been above 5mph in reverse

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Check your alignment.

I guess ill have to go to a shop. The cars always just barely pulled to the right. But nothing huge from what i can see.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
Check your tires, it could be something simple like a rock stuck in the tire that throws it out of balance. You might need a re balance of your wheels, tires can rotate slightly in the wheels under heavy breaking. Or as JoeCap said, it could be your alignment.

If this doesn't solve it, drive faster!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Here is my game plan. Im gonna jack the car up and just inspect visually what i can tonight. Im gonna call in to discount tire(who i bought the tires from) tomorrow and have them do a rotation/balance/inspection of them maybe the balance weight came off i dunno?

And then if that doesnt work ill go pay for a alignment and then hopefully on of those things will have been the issue.

Ill keep it updated. Would love to also hear other peoples opinions before/during the process as well

blower

Ready to race!
Since it only does it at low speeds, it's not going to be a balance issue, nor an alignment issue.

It's possible you have something stuck in the tyre - but I would expect it to get worse as speed increases, not suddenly stop.
Check to see if it's still doing it under light braking - if it stops as your breaking then I would suspect a warped brake rotor.

Otherwise I would say its a suspension issue - ball joint, bad bushing in control arms, ARB bushings, arb drop links etc.

Also just check the simple - make sure your wheel bolt's aren't loose ;)

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Since it only does it at low speeds, it's not going to be a balance issue, nor an alignment issue.

It's possible you have something stuck in the tyre - but I would expect it to get worse as speed increases, not suddenly stop.
Check to see if it's still doing it under light braking - if it stops as your breaking then I would suspect a warped brake rotor.

Otherwise I would say its a suspension issue - ball joint, bad bushing in control arms, ARB bushings, arb drop links etc.

Also just check the simple - make sure your wheel bolt's aren't loose ;)

Haha yeah im about to leave work. Gonna jack the car up do some visuals/pulling/tugging to see if anything is loose etc. Then check the tires for any debris etc. Ill also make sure to give a little to the lugs. Im not tottaly sure it went away as the speed did. It didnt seem to to be vibrating then but i was only past 40mph for about 2 blocks. so not really sure.

Ill do some test driving around the block etc and see what i can find out.

If not im still gonna go get the wheels balanced/inspected tomorrow (as it should be free with discount, since i bought and had the tires installed there).

And we shall go from there.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
Since it only does it at low speeds, it's not going to be a balance issue

Not true, I use to go to the track all the time, and my wheels would get so hot the balancing weights would fall off (glue would melt). There was vibration from poor balancing at low speeds, but gone when we would be at higher speeds.

blower

Ready to race!
Not true, I use to go to the track all the time, and my wheels would get so hot the balancing weights would fall off (glue would melt). There was vibration from poor balancing at low speeds, but gone when we would be at higher speeds.

Depends on the size & weight of the wheels - usually on a golf mk5/mk6 with 16/17/18" wheels vibration due to balancing issues doesn't start until around 50mph, and a wheel would have to be very badly balanced (i.e badly buckled) to have a vibration at 10mph!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Well to update i think i may have found the issue.
after jacking up the car the first wheel i checked has a round screw dead center of the wheel(tire). The head of the screw is like a 1/4" out of the tire its a fat screw...

Gonna take it to discount tire tomorrow have them patch it and inspect the rest of the wheels.

But i think that would explain the sudden onset of vibration i could feel.

Ill update once i get done at discount.

blower

Ready to race!
after jacking up the car the first wheel i checked has a round screw dead center of the wheel(tire). The head of the screw is like a 1/4" out of the tire its a fat screw...

Looking like a good culprit! - i once had a bolt stuck in mine, right in the centre like yours. vibrated like crazy, from low speed up to 60mph (daren't take it higher!)

SyDiko

Ready to race!

Gonna take it to discount tire tomorrow have them patch it and inspect the rest of the wheels.

But i think that would explain the sudden onset of vibration i could feel.

Front driver side wheel too? If so, definitely your culprit. :)

Good luck today, let us know how it goes at the shop!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Front driver side wheel too? If so, definitely your culprit. :)

Good luck today, let us know how it goes at the shop!

Hey the screw was in the Front Passenger side. I went to discount tire yesterday took about a hour as they were busy but the fixed it and checked all the other tires for anything. No more vibrations in the pedals now.

:]

Some times the most obvious answer is the best answer.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Hey the screw was in the Front Passenger side. I went to discount tire yesterday took about a hour as they were busy but the fixed it and checked all the other tires for anything. No more vibrations in the pedals now.

:]

Some times the most obvious answer is the best answer.

Sweet, man. :)