GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSD Install in Virginia?

mattpowers

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had a LSD installed in / around VA. Just got a quote for $4k for a Wavetrac LSD install on a DSG transmission. I know DSG is expensive, but still, seems high. 2k in labor, 2k in parts. Anyone else have a good recomendation, or thoughts on this? My thought was 3k would be worth it, 4k, not really. Car is about 300hp currently, and I'd like to circuit track it, but seems a little much to sink on the one feature.

Thanks!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
@Ronnie_B might have some insight. He is in VA and tracks his car.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had a LSD installed in / around VA. Just got a quote for $4k for a Wavetrac LSD install on a DSG transmission. I know DSG is expensive, but still, seems high. 2k in labor, 2k in parts. Anyone else have a good recomendation, or thoughts on this? My thought was 3k would be worth it, 4k, not really. Car is about 300hp currently, and I'd like to circuit track it, but seems a little much to sink on the one feature.

Thanks!
DSG install is more work for sure. You have to grind off the rivets on the ring gear and replace with bolts. Price is a little high but the more important part to me would be...... have they ever done this before? and what parts add up to 2K? You really only want this done by someone who has done it before. I don't mind paying a premium for very experienced shops. You will love the difference, it will amaze you especially if you run sticky tires at the track.

Pic of mine being installed on my previous car.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion

Thanks!
I’d recommend EuroPros in Yorktown, if you’re anywhere close to the Hampton Roads area. You can save money on install by removing and reinstalling the trans yourself if you’re comfortable doing it. That’s what I did and i paid $400 for install. I went with a Peloquin LSD, which was about $950 total for parts. I believe the DSG Peloquin is $1350, with ARP bolts and bearings.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I’d recommend EuroPros in Yorktown, if you’re anywhere close to the Hampton Roads area. You can save money on install by removing and reinstalling the trans yourself if you’re comfortable doing it. That’s what I did and i paid $400 for install. I went with a Peloquin LSD, which was about $950 total for parts. I believe the DSG Peloquin is $1350, with ARP bolts and bearings.

Another choice is MFactory. I used one for a few years of track use and it was 995.00 for DSG and includes hardened bolt set. Really liked mine car was 340whp about 3/4 of the time then 480whp. Worked great.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Another choice is MFactory. I used one for a few years of track use and it was 995.00 for DSG and includes hardened bolt set. Really liked mine car was 340whp about 3/4 of the time then 480whp. Worked great.

I'll second that. I got a smoking deal on BNIB MFactory diff for my DSG on the forums here. Its a great upgrade if you are into the twisties but when you break traction in a corner with an LSD on both front wheels the understeer will kill you or make you change your pants. 🙃 In all seriousness it completely changes the car and makes cornering a blast.

I too got some crazy install quotes that weren't that far off from the OP's. I ended up doing it myself after doing hours of research and planning. There is a lot of information out there if you look and this was the first time I've ever torn apart a transmission. I had the whole car down for about two months during quarantine in 2020 but I was waiting for parts here and there and I also did a K04 turbo upgrade and replaced the head. Now I have over 20k on the setup and love it. Highly recommend.