GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MASTER CLUTCH APPLICATION GUIDE - WHAT DO WE REALLY NEED?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I know and with summer comes the heat soak. Lol.
Hey kern, how many miles do you have on your 350?

not sure exactly, i'd say ~7k or so. no problems so far. even in this freezing weather it feels soft but grabs fine. and when the engine warms up it feels very good.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
After a much long debate and related product research. I'll soon be joining the CM FX350 w/ smf list in January.

When did you buy your kit?

I had my clutch out this weekend and took a look at it for the first time, and it doesn't look like yours. Mine has 4 springs instead of 6, and it doesn't have the same mounting strategy for the disk material and the center part that holds the spring (sorry i don't know the technical names). Granted this was an FX400 kit that was rebuilt to an fx350, but my fx400 had 6 springs too. Now I'm curious of what I'm actually running.

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Kern, i purchased my clutch kit during black friday weekend of 2013. It was through ringer racing for their black friday weekend special. How come you had the clutch out? I hope all is okay with your car and that this was planned instead of an unforseen issue. You probably have a special hybrid fx375, lol. Hope this helps!

kern417

Go Kart Champion
lol nah i'm building my motor, so the transmission/clutch had to come off so i could put the block on a stand. no problems with the clutch at all, it looks like it's wearing down nicely after 6 months. my fx400 didn't even last 4, so that's why i had to have it rebuilt.

i'm just curious of why anything more was changed than the material. i thought that was the only difference between the fx400 and fx350. at first i thought maybe cm made a revision over the summer and you ordered your clutch before then, but if you got it after then i have some questions for them.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
the springs are wound way tighter too. i wish i had seen it when it was new so i could identify the markings on it.

lol nah i'm building my motor, so the transmission/clutch had to come off so i could put the block on a stand. no problems with the clutch at all, it looks like it's wearing down nicely after 6 months. my fx400 didn't even last 4, so that's why i had to have it rebuilt.

i'm just curious of why anything more was changed than the material. i thought that was the only difference between the fx400 and fx350. at first i thought maybe cm made a revision over the summer and you ordered your clutch before then, but if you got it after then i have some questions for them.

The 4 spring hub is something they started using some time last year. So when they rebuilt your clutch they basically just built you a brand new FX350 disk instead of reusing the used FX400 CL disk you sent them.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
The 4 spring hub is something they started using some time last year. So when they rebuilt your clutch they basically just built you a brand new FX350 disk instead of reusing the used FX400 CL disk you sent them.

gotcha, that makes more sense. it's too bad they aren't using it on all of the kits they send out. it looks much beefier and i don't feel any difference in driveability.

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
That is a pretty good price for clutch installation. Installation on our cars usually run anywhere between $400 and $1000 dollars. Looks like you found someone that is giving you a great deal.

FWIW, HSTuning in Westlake, OH installed their RSR clutch ($999 parts) for $1450 total ($450 installation charge). While it was apart, they put in an intake; solid bushing shifter linkage kit; and short-throw shifter; at no additional labor charge.

A classic win-win. They got more revenue and profits on the parts; and I got three additional mods at no penalty over and above the cost of the parts alone on those mods.

They're good, fair, people.

I can't recommend them highly enough...

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
Still going back and forth between if being on a somewhat tight budget, if its worth getting the RSR, FX350 with upgraded flywheel, or just going with the SB stage 3 drop in. Is it worth it?

caffeineTX

Ready to race!
Still going back and forth between if being on a somewhat tight budget, if its worth getting the RSR, FX350 with upgraded flywheel, or just going with the SB stage 3 drop in. Is it worth it?

there is also a fx350 drop in that comes with a pressure plate, I would do that over the sb stg3 drop in because the pressure plate is a weak ling in our transmissions in addition to the clutch itself.

i am between doing an fx350 and the fx350 drop in.

Cheesecake

Ready to race!
Is there a picture of Southbend's revised stage 2 disc? To clarify, do they no longer use Exedy's disc?

logixal1

Banned
Fx350 and it's shipping in higher gears after around 9k miles