GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

master water/meth discussion thread

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
It will be both. I'm looking to do a 5 nozzle system to run a full time race file, similar to what you've been doing. I've hit a fueling wall with my k04 and need to get an aux fueling system of some sort to get the most out of my current setup. So why not go for a more aggressive map while I'm at it?

I got up to probably somewhere in the 340's with a K04 and the problem with taking the K04 further is that the turbo is well out of its efficiency range at that power level and is generating too much heat to take it further, not really fueling. It is just a small turbo and that is about its limit. Aquamist is cool but much more money than you need to spend if you are going to stay K04 to get the job done. Going direct inject not necessary to run a full time race file with K04. I ran mine for 4 years with a race file and dual nozzle setup and only 50/50. I went with Aquamist 5 nozzle system running 100% methanol for the newer build with the EFR7163 turbo.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
I got up to probably somewhere in the 340's with a K04 and the problem with taking the K04 further is that the turbo is well out of its efficiency range at that power level and is generating too much heat to take it further, not really fueling. It is just a small turbo and that is about its limit. Aquamist is cool but much more money than you need to spend if you are going to stay K04 to get the job done. Going direct inject not necessary to run a full time race file with K04. I ran mine for 4 years with a race file and dual nozzle setup and only 50/50. I went with Aquamist 5 nozzle system running 100% methanol for the newer build with the EFR7163 turbo.

This^^ 👀

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Anyone want to volunteer what tune they are using for their W/M setup?

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone want to volunteer what tune they are using for their W/M setup?

what do you mean by volunteer? if you have a cobb ap I'd suggest a Stratified pro tune to actually take advantage of the w/m, otherwise if you plan on using it for cooling only, literally any tune will work.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I meant like tell me what tune you are running to take advantage of your wm set up. I run unitronic 93oct stage 2 file and I am about to go direct port wm 4 nozzles on the manifold. I've read here that unitronic has a 100oct/wm file for existing customers so I was leaning to that but I wanted to hear from some current users of other tunes.

I didn't want someone to send me a free tune.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
if you really want to take advantage of the DPI set up you are going to do then you will want a custom tune hands down, really up to you to choose the tuner. Yes u could use unitronics meth file but im sure its some generic OTS file that wouldnt really take advantage of it.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
also, unless u plan on going big turbo, DPI is overkill. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with meth if your staying stock turbo maybe besides cooling ):

smanierre

Autocross Champion
also, unless u plan on going big turbo, DPI is overkill. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with meth if your staying stock turbo maybe besides cooling ):
Only benefit I could see for dpi on stock turbo is valve cleaning, besides that i'd say a jet post IC for cooling is good enough

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
It is mostly for valve cleaning while I have the stock turbo. k04 can come later.

You think I'd be better off going k04 and then WM later?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
It is mostly for valve cleaning while I have the stock turbo. k04 can come later.

You think I'd be better off going k04 and then WM later?
I'd say it depends on who you're going with for tuning. If you want to make full use of your DPI, you'll need a custom tune. If you go K04 and get tuned for that, you'll have to pay to get tuned again when you add WMI.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
I would go k04 first, tune for that solely on pump gas only then install w/m kit and revise the tune for it. If your staying stock turbo 1 nozzle post IC is all you need for cooling, really no need for dpi tbh. FYI, im big turbo tuned for meth and dont even have dpi (tho that is deff the way to go), shit works fine.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
My issue with doing that is I fear the air will not evenly distribute down the runners so one cyl maybe cleaner than the rest.

Also won't spraying pre throttle body cause premature tb failure? I guess not since you haven't had issues

smanierre

Autocross Champion
My issue with doing that is I fear the air will not evenly distribute down the runners so one cyl maybe cleaner than the rest.

Also won't spraying pre throttle body cause premature tb failure? I guess not since you haven't had issues
There are tons of people who spray pre-TB, so much so that bsh makes a charge pipe with a WM bung welded on. Spraying pre tb won't offer any cleaning effects on the valves, it only provides cooling really.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Ok I'm leaning towards a 2 nozzle system now since multiple people have told me the dpi is overkill. So I think I'll go with 1 in a throttle body plate and one right after the IC. I'll drill into the stock pipe and tap it for the pre tb spray.

I'm looking at a snow 210 stg2 kit at the moment.

Gonna see if I can use a Uni 100oct map and go from there

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Ok I'm leaning towards a 2 nozzle system now since multiple people have told me the dpi is overkill. So I think I'll go with 1 in a throttle body plate and one right after the IC. I'll drill into the stock pipe and tap it for the pre tb spray.

I'm looking at a snow 210 stg2 kit at the moment.

Gonna see if I can use a Uni 100oct map and go from there
Honestly at that point I would say just one nozzle. There is only a few inches difference between charge pipe and tb, seems a bit redundant, and i'm fairly certain you can get a nozzle big enough to spray as much as you'll need in just the charge pipe