GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Metal shavings in oil need some help...

Ramon_Oquendo

So I am new too the forum hello too y'all who see this but I recently just bought a two door mk6 gti 2.0t and I have owned this car for about 3 months and had a lot of headaches. I'm going after the dealer ship right now about the car and trying too get compensation because this car is a pain in my ass. So one problem i had was the water pump and I changed it out for all aluminum one with new seals and the whole deal. The car ran like shit so I replaced fuel filter for 6.6 bar fuel filter or some shit like that (shit was the most frustrating think too get out and not break the fuel lines) and also got the red r8 coils and Bosch plugs and gapped them too spec and oil change. Doing this made the car drive better with decent pick up again but still idled like shit and rough but I believe I have vacuum leak from the throttle body. But I found little specs of metal flakes could that be from the aluminum water pump it is oil cooled so can it be a possibility? Im gonna go too my buds and were gonna drain oil and check it out but I have not been running it at all and im sad cuz the car only has 104k miles and I like the car but if my motor is trash I cant afford too fix I should have gotten late gen mk7 but that body of the mk6 is just jaw dropping too me. Sorry for the long post but if someone can help or tell me I am retarded or something that would be cool thanks.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Sounds like you didn't buy a well taken care of car and like you are just throwing parts at it hoping it gets fixed without actually diagnosing the issue.

Have you scanned it for codes?
How did the plugs look when you pulled them? Why Bosch, use NGK plugs.
What brand water pump did you use? Was the old one leaking?
Have the intake valves ever been cleaned? Did you take a look at them?

Ramon_Oquendo

Sounds like you didn't buy a well taken care of car and like you are just throwing parts at it hoping it gets fixed without actually diagnosing the issue.

Have you scanned it for codes?
How did the plugs look when you pulled them? Why Bosch, use NGK plugs.
What brand water pump did you use? Was the old one leaking?
Have the intake valves ever been cleaned? Did you take a look at them?
I have been every engine code I had I fixed and the plastic pump cracked and dumped coolant everywhere so it had too be replaced and it was having poor performance under load around like 3k rpm and the fuel filter was all junked up. Rest i did was just basic tune up shit but the water pump was from ecs tuning. Havent checked intake valve or done a engine flush yet I can do that I mean i have been fixing things that needed too be replaced I'm not an idiot not like i got money too waste. The car runs decent and holds temp very well not overheating. Just when i looked at my oil and saw a few little metal flakes I was like damn. I'm already persuing the dealership legally becuase they did other shady shit.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Good luck man in all earnest. Sucks about what you seem to be enduring. Hope it pans out in your favour. Wish I had a better answer for you however it seems it's better to take it to a reputable shop and pull the valve cover off minimum or top of the timing chain cover and begin basic inspection. Maybe it was just the screen that got blown through from the timing chain side.

Either way it may be time for trained VW eyes to poke at it.

Ramon_Oquendo

Good luck man in all earnest. Sucks about what you seem to be enduring. Hope it pans out in your favour. Wish I had a better answer for you however it seems it's better to take it to a reputable shop and pull the valve cover off minimum or top of the timing chain cover and begin basic inspection. Maybe it was just the screen that got blown through from the timing chain side.

Either way it may be time for trained VW eyes to poke at it.
Thanks I was going too that's the next step. I have no codes just want too be extra sure im not slaming my mk6 into the ground because the previous rice head owner sure did.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Metal flakes in the oil could be from a stretched timing chain hitting against the timing cover.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Had the timing chain and tensioner been updated? As stated above could be chain slop and if it jumps your engine is likely going to be trashed. HOWEVER.. mine jumped time, not sure how many teeth but it still drove like shit. Limped it home.
I have also lost an oil screen which I think was the cause of spinning the balance shaft bearing. That had symptoms of no oil pressure and a large amount of aluminum chunks in the oil. I ended up replacing my engine cost me about 2k from a local guy that rebuilds them.
My advice to you is hold the dealer liable, I'm not saying the motor is toast but anytime there is metal in the oil there is a serious issue.
No, the water pump cannot get alum in the oil. There is a water oil cooler but isnt going to swap fluids.
Where are you located?
Also, if you have a way like vcds you can check timing chain stretch and see if its worn out. You can also check the part number on the tensioner and see if it the updated tensioner

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Do an oil change. Cut the oil filter open & check for metal. Use a magnet to check if the metal you are seeing is aluminium or steel. Send an oil sample off to find out what the health of your engine is.

At the mileage you have part of your issue could be carboned up valves. You didn't say what year your GTI is, could be a worn chain or tensioner.

Ramon_Oquendo

Had the timing chain and tensioner been updated? As stated above could be chain slop and if it jumps your engine is likely going to be trashed. HOWEVER.. mine jumped time, not sure how many teeth but it still drove like shit. Limped it home.
I have also lost an oil screen which I think was the cause of spinning the balance shaft bearing. That had symptoms of no oil pressure and a large amount of aluminum chunks in the oil. I ended up replacing my engine cost me about 2k from a local guy that rebuilds them.
My advice to you is hold the dealer liable, I'm not saying the motor is toast but anytime there is metal in the oil there is a serious issue.
No, the water pump cannot get alum in the oil. There is a water oil cooler but isnt going to swap fluids.
Where are you located?
Also, if you have a way like vcds you can check timing chain stretch and see if its worn out. You can also check the part number on the tensioner and see if it the updated tensioner
Im not sure if its been updated dont think so since I was rocking the gen 1 water pump but im located in West virginia i am gonna get and estimate on damage have vw Tech's look it definitely could be that there wasn't alot of shavings like maybe 4 visable little specs that I lost in my fingers but I dont have vcds was planning on getting the program but this happened and I stopped running it so i wouldnt mess the car up more.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
If it was that minimal shavings it could well be from a timing chain hitting the timing cover, thats what happened to my car. I took it to the "best" audi/VW shop in my area and they told me my engine was gone and i needed a new one. They were wrong and it was just debris from the chain riding the timing cover. If they can get a scope through the timing cover have them inspect in the inner portions of the timing cover for scoring.

Ramon_Oquendo

Do an oil change. Cut the oil filter open & check for metal. Use a magnet to check if the metal you are seeing is aluminium or steel. Send an oil sample off to find out what the health of your engine is.

At the mileage you have part of your issue could be carboned up valves. You didn't say what year your GTI is, could be a worn chain or tensioner.
My bad its a 2012 gti and yea with everybody saying the cause im leading towards that as well i dont think the timing chain or tensioner has been replaced and no service records for it

Ramon_Oquendo

If it was that minimal shavings it could well be from a timing chain hitting the timing cover, thats what happened to my car. I took it to the "best" audi/VW shop in my area and they told me my engine was gone and i needed a new one. They were wrong and it was just debris from the chain riding the timing cover. If they can get a scope through the timing cover have them inspect in the inner portions of the timing cover for scoring.
Would the car still be safe too drive too work no pulls or dumb stuff of that nature because my project car down too so I have been bumming rides too work I havent ran it at all maybe too move it a couple times but just wondering be he'll a lot easier for me too drive too work but I dont want bent valves or anything like that at all

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Would the car still be safe too drive too work no pulls or dumb stuff of that nature because my project car down too so I have been bumming rides too work
If it’s a timing anything related issue. Park it. If timing jumps, and valves play patty cake, then you’ll be replacing the engine.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
If it’s a timing anything related issue. Park it. If timing jumps, and valves play patty cake, then you’ll be replacing the engine.
what he said. .pay attention or you'll be shunting more $ down the drain unnecessarily. It sux cause you can't drive the car you paid for however it could end up costing you more if you don't heed the advice and park it til you can have it looked at properly.