GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire issue

coreygunzz

So here’s the deal..

Have a 2013 gti with 145k. Have had nothing but problems with this thing since I bought it 5 years ago. The newest problem is it has a reoccurring misfire in cylinder 4. Got so fed up I just parked it and bought a beater to drive instead. Car sat for around 3 months and just recently decided to have it fixed.

Took the car to the dealer with zero intention of having them do the repair, just the diagnosis. They came back the next day with a whole list of useless repairs, but said to get the car running again the injectors needed replacing. Mind you this will now be the third set. So I picked the car up and took it somewhere local to be done at half the cost. Picked the car up and it drove great. Three days later the misfire is back. Same cylinder. Tried switching coils and plugs. Car is burning oil bad. Keeps fowling the plug causing the misfire.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. Pretty pissed I just spent $900 for no reason. Could it be a bad injector? I feel like the chances of the same one is slim. Bad valve stem seal causing oil to leak in the cylinder? Rings could also be the problem. Original repair invoice also stated the cam cradle seal needed to be done. Could this cause oil to leak into the cylinder?

i do love this car but damn. It costs me more in repairs than what the thing is worth lol

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
Misfires during wot? Idle? I’d run a compression test first (tool is $50 from sears) to rule out bad piston rings. Is the plug wet with oil or gas?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I had a stuck injector that only gave a single misfire code but it was super obvious because the plug was wet with gasoline and the exhaust smelled like straight gas and was smoking.

coreygunzz

Misfires during wot? Idle? I’d run a compression test first (tool is $50 from sears) to rule out bad piston rings. Is the plug wet with oil or gas?

had a compression and leak down test done. Both were perfect. It’s a constant misfire. Change the plug out and it goes away until it fouls out again. Burning a lot of oil. 5 quarts every 1-2k miles

coreygunzz

I had a stuck injector that only gave a single misfire code but it was super obvious because the plug was wet with gasoline and the exhaust smelled like straight gas and was smoking.

injectors were replaced. Misfire went away for three days then came back in the same cylinder. Have had them get stuck open before and am not having the same smell and white smoke symptoms.