GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire Mystery

gbshch

Hi there everyone!

I own 2011 GTI MK6 with 180k km on the clock which had some misfires for a while and I finally started to try to solve it.

Symptoms
Engine misfiring, especially when it's cold (even more in cold weather). I am not getting any check engine lights/codes, but I can see the misfires via VCDS in all cylinders, but especially in cylinders 2 & 3. It is not happening all the time, but most of the time I can provoke it by slightly pressing the accelerator and keeping RPMs around 2k, then the car starts shaking and I see misfires happening via VCDS. In usual driving I can feel the misfires in slow speed situations, when the accelerator is slightly pressed down (traffic, shopping mall parking).

Things I've tried
  • Changed spark plugs to Bosch - no change, half year later to NKG - no change
  • Changed the coil pack - no change
  • Carbon cleaning - cleaned, guys said that valves were in good condition before cleaning - no change
  • Found used injectors on cylinder 2&3 (probably previous owner was searching for answers as well), changed all four to new ones - no change
What would be the further course of action? Intake manifold (looks mint)? PCV valve?
Do you guys have any tips on how could I test these out without replacing everything and hoping for the best?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Is there any way to check it without replacing? I have to mention, that recently my main rear engine seal failed, could it be related to bad PCV?

easiest way to check is to run the car hard for a couple minutes then park it and idle. while idling, open the oil cap and watch how the car runs. If it starts to run better, you have a bad PCV. if it runs worse or doest change, it is not the PCV.

the fact your RMS failed recently means it is almost certainly your PCV. when the PCV fails, the pressure in the crank case has no where to go so it blows out your seals.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
I had the same symptoms and it was a boost leak, a coupler near my intake was torn on the bottom somehow

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
I've had similar issues and first time around it was the intake manifold running flap leaking air. Second time round was the PCV valve.