GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Hey all, welcome to GolfMK6, the 6th gen GOLF site which includes the Golf, GTI and other Golf derivations.

Your moderators here are: GTI2007, bubuski, danielj, Bender, Grambles423, Merkle and SayaGTI

Administrators are JJ-R32 and Gulfer

Please feel free to contact the administrators of this forum for site feedback, registration problems or other inquiries by using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any page or forum (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/sendmessage.php )

The board administration and its moderators at golfmk6.com ask that our members follow a few basic rules in order to ensure a friendly atmosphere. Failure to do so may result in a violation. Violations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and may result in warnings or expulsion from the forums. This will be decided upon at the discretion of the board administration and its moderators. Contributing members are encouraged to report any violations and make recommendations regarding our site.

The Code of Conduct is as follows:

1. Trolling, flaming, and bashing are not acceptable at golfmk6.com. Trolling includes, but is not limited to posting controversial messages with the intention of baiting other users into an argumentative response. Flaming includes, but is not limited to insulting and hostile interaction between users. Bashing, likewise, is also not permitted. All communications are to remain on a respectful and mature level. Do not retaliate to an inappropriate post with another inappropriate post. Instead use the "Report post to moderator" button, or simply PM your moderators if such an instance should arise.

2. No tolerance is given for racist and derogatory remarks.

3. Respect your moderators. The moderators are volunteers and avid Volkswagen fans who graciously donate their time to golfmk6.com. This online community would not be possible without their assistance.

4. Accessing or attempting to access another members account is prohibited. Purposeful invasion of a forum members privacy is also prohibited.

5. Members are to have only one username. Creating an additional username after expulsion from the site will result in blocking the user's IP address.

6. Nudity of any type is not permitted within the forums. This includes the Off-Topic forums. Threads with adult content are to be posted in the "OFF-TOPIC" forum and must contain "NWS" in the thread title as a courtesy to other members. Forums outside of the Off-Topic forums are to maintain a G Rating.

7. All posts are to be related to the topic of the thread they are discussed within. Post that are off-topic of the original post are subject to being deleted.

8. Signatures must be of appropriate length. Signature photos and graphics must also be kept minimal in size.

9. Spamming is not allowed. Advertisements are not allowed without the explicit permission of the administration. Please contact the administrators for more details on becoming a golfmk6.com sponsor.

10. Illegal use of copyrighted or trademarked material is not permitted. This includes linking and/or discussions related to obtaining illegal distributions.

11. In addition to the aforementioned rules, questionable or undesirable content deemed inappropriate by the administration or the moderators will be subject to review on a case-by-case basis.

Vendor and Solicitation Threads

Administrators are JJ-R32 and Gulfer

Please contact the administrators for more details on becoming a golfmk6.com sponsor or vendor by using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any page or forum (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/sendmessage.php )

Golfmk6.com prohibits the advertising and solicitation of products and/or services from businesses and/or their agents without prior consent from one of the Administrators of this forum. Please PM an Administrator for clarification or permission BEFORE starting a thread or listing a business in your signature. Audits are randomly done and bans and citations will be given to violators of this rule. Each citation is reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the site administrators and moderators.

Violating vendors of the rules below may receive a forum ban.

1. Vendor advertisements Threads are to be posted in the Vendor Classifieds forum. Threads announcing promotions and discounts should be placed in the Vendor Classifieds forum. Cross-posting a thread announcing promotions and discounts across multiple forums is considered spamming and is prohibited.
    • New product announcement threads can go in the applicable forum, but sales of the product should go in the vendor forum.
    2. Vendors are allowed to organize Group Buys by initiating a thread in the Vendor Classifieds forum. Cross-posting a Group Buy thread across multiple forums is considered spamming and is prohibited.

3. Signatures Advertisements are allowed but we ask to keep it of appropriate length. We also ask to add information on your signature line stating the company you work for, etc., so golfmk6 members know you are a vendor.

4. Golfmk6.com members who choose to rate sellers in classified threads must post with a FIRST-HAND and FACTUAL account of a transaction and/or product. If for any unfortunate reason you must post a negative experience, please***GOLFMK6 MEMBERS PLEASE READ (Technical Forums)***

The technical threads have become much more argumentative lately. Although this forum is relatively new, members have approached me regarding the direction some threads seem to head. As usual, posts will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

When a thread involves a discussion regarding a particular product or company that you may not be in support of, you are expected to post responsibly/maturely if you choose to comment in such a thread. Failure to do so and you will be subject to infraction and/or ban.

In regards to the ban: The initial ban might be for two weeks, followed by a chance to come back to the forums with a better attitude. If you choose not to change the intent of your post, then you will be permanently banned.
    Simple as that.

Take care and enjoy the forum.
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Misfires, no codes

foxbyt3

Hey all! A few weeks ago my 2012 GTI started misfiring. The misfires happen at full throttle. When they do happen if I release the throttle to around 90% the misfires stop and the car continues to accelerate normally.

I ordered up new coils and plugs but the issue persisted. Next I took her to my local shop for a closer look and they found carbon buildup which they then cleaned out. While doing that they also replaced the fuel injectors for good measure. I found some buildup in the air intake were the crank case hose connects and cleaned that out.

Unfortunately the misfiring is still happening. I've ran her hard a few times and doing an "Italian tuneup" but the issue continues.

I'm thinking of replacing the PCV and/or Crankshaft Position Sensor next.

Wondering if anyone has recommendations for further troubleshooting steps?

foxbyt3

How do you know they are misfires?
The shop who cleaned the carbon buildup hooked it up to a computer and drove it around and they were able to see a misfire occur in cylinder 1.

I have an OBDeleven reader I haven't connected up during driving yet. I trust the mechanics at the shop, ive been taking my car there for years now, but I guess I should confirm their findings myself.

My butt sensor tells me its very brief loss of power, so I assumed misfires.

BudgetPhoenix

Go Kart Champion
Ah okay. If you have OBD eleven you should be able to monitor the live measuring blocks as well for misfires yourself. In the engine module go to block 14 it shows total misfire count and and if I recall block 15 shows cyl 1-3 individual misfire count and 16 shows cyl 4

foxbyt3

Ah okay. If you have OBD eleven you should be able to monitor the live measuring blocks as well for misfires yourself. In the engine module go to block 14 it shows total misfire count and and if I recall block 15 shows cyl 1-3 individual misfire count and 16 shows cyl 4
I appreciate the info! I'm still learning to use the OBDeleven. I should be able to get it hooked up this weekend and tested. Ill report back my findings.

foxbyt3

Some new info; car just started making a rattle sound yesterday. Sounds just like the timing chain rattle, and the sound is coming from that area... Unsure if these issues are related, but either way i'll be getting the car into the shop ASAP. Might have them check boost while they're at it.

Timer

I have the same issues with carbon build up, misfires etc. Have had a lot of work done to the car lots of new bits but it’s still running rich and misfiring, I’m getting a code P0172, have you any info on any codes you got from this?

foxbyt3

I have the same issues with carbon build up, misfires etc. Have had a lot of work done to the car lots of new bits but it’s still running rich and misfiring, I’m getting a code P0172, have you any info on any codes you got from this?
For code P0172 have you checked the recommendations here - https://www.obd-codes.com/p0172

If you have a VCDS or OBDelleven id recommend running some diagnostic logging. I ran APRs recommendation - https://www.goapr.com/support/datalogging.php I ran this to try and identify boost leaks but only found misfires. Heres a good video on using the OBDeleven -

I didn't get any codes in my troubleshooting, wish I did. After all the troubleshooting I did it ended up the cheapo coil packs from Amazon I initially purchased to fix the misfiring issue continued to cause the issue.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
$100 PayPaled to anyone that can figure this out, intermittent misfires under wot after ~30 minutes of driving or 4-5 consecutive wot pulls, whichever comes first. I get misfires under wot only with no codes. Parts thrown at it....lpfp, hpfp, fuel pump control module, fuel filter, injectors, R8 coils, plugs, diverter valve, cam and crank sensor, maf, map sensor, boost leak tested (I reach peak boost)....I’m starting to lean towards timing chain stretch. Car drives great with the exception of most wot pulls, occasionally no misfires???? Wtf! The only thing I haven’t changed in the fuel system is the high pressure fuel sensor....anyone want to take a stab at this?

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Check your block 093 under engine control module for the reading this has been shown to indicate timing chain stretch.

After all that work you threw at the car and still have misfires have you had carbon cleaning ever?or buy a cheap cam scope and check out the valves?

Maybe a catch can might help at this point in the game

Last edited:

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
Apr k04 file, performed apr’s logs and had Ryan Hyde review them...pointed towards the lpfp. My mpg went up after changing it but it continues to misfire.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Apr k04 file, performed apr’s logs and had Ryan Hyde review them...pointed towards the lpfp. My mpg went up after changing it but it continues to misfire.
Only thing I could suggest at this point given your issues and replacing almost everything associated with possibly ignition issues is to switch your tune not what you want to hear I’m sure but could rule it out just because apr says it’s good and they looked at it doesn’t mean much