GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Miss my Mk6 after owning Mk7

peter22

This might be an unpopular opinion considering how much praise the new mqb platform gets on forums but after owning mk7 for 6 months I realized that mk6 was way more fun. The steering felt better along with throttle response. Oh and the gearing.... probably the biggest disappointment in the car. Way too long and doesn't make it as zippy as my mk6 was. The gearing changes on the mk6 felt more satisfying as you actually felt a difference in torque. On Mk7 you barely feel a difference when you switch from 5 to 4 or vice versa. All of these things made mk6 way more fun to drive than mk7 and I even remembered how much I used to smile when driving that car and this one just annoys me for some reason.

Anyway, I was just surprised to see barely any discussions in which people preferred their mk6 to their mk7.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
ah the mk6... it is certainly aging very well.
#savethemk6s

jinxster

Passed Driver's Ed
IMO they are a hidden gem--the mk5 refined to the max--but they get seen in a negative light due to that fact (evolutionary not revolutionary)--people go gaga over the mk5..but forget that the mk6 is a much better mk5---give it time--eventually the mk6 will be seen as peak gti(not R tho-I think OG R32 vs MK7R has a claim towards that title)

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I've had mine over 3 years and still enjoy driving it. No major issues with it either, just a dead battery and rear shocks making noise. I have not driven a mk7 for reference.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Love my Waterpump Lemon MK6 🤣🤣. Joking aside its a blast to drive, still puts a smile on my face . Personality I think the mk6 has better interior, I prefer the analog gauges over the all digital display in the newer mk7 models.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
IMO they are a hidden gem--the mk5 refined to the max--but they get seen in a negative light due to that fact (evolutionary not revolutionary)--people go gaga over the mk5..but forget that the mk6 is a much better mk5---give it time--eventually the mk6 will be seen as peak gti(not R tho-I think OG R32 vs MK7R has a claim towards that title)
the mk6 is unique. It's different from the mk5 and mk7 and newer gens, it stands out. Often people look back at the mk6, mk4, mk2/1 so these gens will appreciate in value sooner than later (depending on condition of the vehicle).

The R32 is king! the MK7R... depends...

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I've had mine over 3 years and still enjoy driving it. No major issues with it either, just a dead battery and rear shocks making noise. I have not driven a mk7 for reference.
that is good to hear. Stay on top of maintenance. As all the VW/Audi shops I been to tell me this all the time. I have not driven a mk7 but I have sat in one while a buddy of mine was driving. It's alright. #mk6FORtheWIN

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Love my Waterpump Lemon MK6 🤣🤣. Joking aside its a blast to drive, still puts a smile on my face . Personality I think the mk6 has better interior, I prefer the analog gauges over the all digital display in the newer mk7 models.
Here we go with the waterpump jokes LOL, did you end up replacing it with the aluminum water pump? I'm on the second water pump.. holding strong... thank God! I installed the plastic one... instead of the aluminum that is stronger apparently and won't crack/leak... install date from my notes says: 05/2020

Mk6 interior is alright... for some reason I like the mk7 interior... analog gauges over digital ALL day!!! when I was shopping around for a turbo gauge, I didn't want the digital gauge... analog is way better.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Here we go with the waterpump jokes LOL, did you end up replacing it with the aluminum water pump? I'm on the second water pump.. holding strong... thank God! I installed the plastic one... instead of the aluminum that is stronger apparently and won't crack/leak... install date from my notes says: 05/2020

Mk6 interior is alright... for some reason I like the mk7 interior... analog gauges over digital ALL day!!! when I was shopping around for a turbo gauge, I didn't want the digital gauge... analog is way better.
I replaced my OEM water pump that went out at around 110k with the aluminum one which lasted about 6 months before leaking, went back to the OEM after than and now currently at 160k.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I replaced my OEM water pump that went out at around 110k with the aluminum one which lasted about 6 months before leaking, went back to the OEM after than and now currently at 160k.
well someone lied to me about the aluminum water pump being bulletproof and won't leak like the OEM waterpump...

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
i'm curious what failed. for the plastic pumps it's usually due to cracking/warping (whether it's sloppy installs, overtorquing, repeated temperature expansion/contraction, etc.) of the plastic which wouldn't apply to a metal version.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion

I'm on number 4 , 5 will be will be sometime this year lol. My thermostat is failing , but since you need to take off the waterpump to get to it. I'll do both . Dealership replaced all 4 previously ( covered by warranty) last replaced in 2016 . I probably put 25k miles on it since.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
Still driving my MK6. 10/2011 build date, 135K miles. Waterpump never failed but was replaced under warranty when I went in for a carbon cleaning. I like it better than my wife's MK7 for sure. Interior and exterior look better, it's smaller (a good thing), and feels faster/more fun.

My dilemma now is whether to trade up for an MK8 now, or run the 2012 into the ground (could be another 10 years or die tomorrow). I think the MK6 looks way better than the MK8. I want real buttons. I suppose I should test drive a '24 and see if I could maybe get used to it. The thing is, the MK8 might possibly be the last chance to buy a manual, or even an ICE. If I start fresh from 0 miles, it could possibly last longer than my 2012 would. The goal is to keep my third pedal and gas tank as long as possible, but I love the MK6 so much. Chances are I'd miss it a lot.