GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 1.4L Engine Swap with 2.0L Golf R Engine/Trans/AWD

AlextheMk6

Hey Guys,

I come with an interesting question. I currently have a MK5 golf GTI as my daily driver and am looking for an interesting side project, so I was looking around at Mk6 1.4L golf comfortlines. I found some for really cheap and then found some Mk6 Golf R’s that were written off but had intact interior and parts.

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to swap everything from the Mk6 Golf R (excluding bodywork) and swap it into the Mk6 Comfortline? As far as I know the engine bay is the same size and would in theory accomodate the Golf R’s engine.

I know that it would be extremely difficult, but I just want to know whether it would even be possible at all.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Thumper

Autocross Champion
It’s been done before: https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-golf-r-sportwagen-4motion.303726/

Seems to me like a crazy amount of work, but maybe worth it if the end result is something otherwise impossible to get (Golf R wagon.)

But it makes zero sense to DIY an R just for fun. Just go and buy an R if that’s what you want.

Agreed. Doing a custom build to replicate a car you can just go buy is not a smart use of funds or time. Even if you can't find a running R to buy, you would be better off buying one of the wrecked ones and rebuilding it than making your own nearly from scratch.