GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI 2.0 TSI. My engine has no oil temp sensor, so where is VCDS getting the value? VCDS, Cobb, VADpro oil temp discrepancy.

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Okay, so I am looking for some help with something here. Trying to wrap my head around it, so excuse me if this is a dumb question, I have searched and searched and not found the answer I am looking for.

I purchased a new device on the market called a VADpro. It's the 2nd gen of the CanChecked gauge if you are familiar with that setup from Germany. Most is working well, but I have been trying to figure out an oil temp issue I have been experiencing since the start. Now first, I have monitored, or thought I was monitoring oil temp for years through my Accessport, so I didn't think twice about it when plugging this in. Once all setup, the new VADpro was just reading off... on a cold start in the AM, sometimes it would look right, cold but near water temp and ambient, but other days, it would read deep in the -35 degrees Celsius range when its above 0 ambient. When driving, at temp, sometimes it reads well, in the 100-115 C range, somewhat where I would expect it to be, a bit hotter than coolant. But at other times, you look over and its somehow dropped to 64. Paying closer attention now, I sometimes notice it reading 110 when idling, and dropping to 64 when moving. Assuming it was the one thing that changed, I blamed the gauge at first, but upon further investigation with Obd11 and my works Rosstech VCDS cable, the VADpro is displaying the same number that VCDS does at any given moment. This is where I start really trying to figure out what is wrong, and look under my car to check out the oil temp sensor, where I find a blanking plate...

So where is the VADpro/VCDS getting this number from?! Is it calculated based of other numbers in the ECU?... Etc. And where is the Acessport getting this info from? Obviously not the same source/calculation, as it does not ever read the exact same number, n'or does it have this randomly dropping lower issue.

You may not be able to straight up answer this for me, but if you have any ideas, resources, or other advice that might be of assistance, please do not hesitate to add you input.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
I haven't been able to confirm for sure, but from what I hear from some of the guys running Polar FIS it's a formula based on engine load, ambient temperature, coolant temperature and such. It seems to be part of the VW software, not unique to each "reader" since no live data reader seems to offer it. I've seen some odd behavior, such as parking my car with the "oil temp" reading around 160 and returning 5 minutes later, starting it back up and having it jump to 210....

Part of me wonders if it's somehow extrapolating from a measurement which is effected by oil pressure/viscosity? Maybe the cam phaser or something like that where it would need to adjust its input based on oil viscosity/pressure, and could relate that to a given oil temperature assuming you're running 5w-40? this is heavy heavy speculation, I'd love to hear from someone who knows more since this has bugged me for a while

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
See if you can pull up the coolant temp in VCDS for the engine and the trans and log them at the same I wonder if it pulls from either erroneously with no oil temp sensor. The other two might be some propietary calculation? Whatever it is its not real if you're in the US

Last edited:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I don't recall specifics, but a while back after poking around with OBDeleven I saw the oil temp reading and did some digging... pretty sure it's a formula based on a variety of things and not a reading from a real sensor.

Sucks, I wish it had a real sensor. I wonder though, do any other VAG cars running this engine and ECU combination come with real oil temp sensors that could be spliced into the wiring harness and coded into the ECU?

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys, wish I knew how it made the number, obviously a calculation somehow. Just odd mine is all over the place, I wonder if anyone else has ever seen that? It'll go up and down constantly, dropping from full operating temp to half in seconds. Obviously an error in the calculation not what is actually happening to oil. Think I am gonna add a standalone oil temp sensor, they can be pinned into the back of the VADpro and added. Might to pressure while I am at it.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I don't recall specifics, but a while back after poking around with OBDeleven I saw the oil temp reading and did some digging... pretty sure it's a formula based on a variety of things and not a reading from a real sensor.

Sucks, I wish it had a real sensor. I wonder though, do any other VAG cars running this engine and ECU combination come with real oil temp sensors that could be spliced into the wiring harness and coded into the ECU?

They do. Only read one post where someone installed/wired it up, but they never got it functioning correctly. Or at least didn’t follow up.

BigBurt

Strange - I have oil temp in MFD dash and when checked via OBD Eleven they match up and don’t stray as you mentioned and seems spot on as accurate as you can get. Mines UK/Euro spec built so maybe that makes the difference? There is 100% an oil temp sensor in mine.

Also looking to get a Vadpro - is it worth it you think? Tired of flipping between readings on phone via OBD Eleven and Vadpro looks like will be exactly what I need multiple readings all on one easy to read display

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Strange - I have oil temp in MFD dash and when checked via OBD Eleven they match up and don’t stray as you mentioned and seems spot on as accurate as you can get. Mines UK/Euro spec built so maybe that makes the difference? There is 100% an oil temp sensor in mine.

Also looking to get a Vadpro - is it worth it you think? Tired of flipping between readings on phone via OBD Eleven and Vadpro looks like will be exactly what I need multiple readings all on one easy to read display
European models had the temp sensor, US did not unfortunately. It’s not difficult to add a temp gauge, but not many people do.