GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI APR Stage I Review/thoughts

boostllama

Disclaimer: This is my first time posting to the forum, so please let me know if I screw something up.

I know there are a ton of Stage I reviews out there, but I'll still put in my 2 cents.

So, a few months ago my modding bug began and I decided to go with the APR Stage I for my MK6. I prepped my car by getting the R8 coils and NKG spark plugs. I know they aren't necessary, but my car has 120k+ miles so I didn't want to risk it.

I chose APR due to location as the other tuners were over an hour away, and the reputation which APR upholds.

Initial Thoughts: Holy sh*t, the torque! I was screaming like Clarkson all the way home and amusing myself with the huge torque surge. The car felt alive, and I was amazed that my clutch was not slipping. I took some of my friends for a drive, and they were all very surprised at how much harder the car pulled now. You certainly get sucked back in your seat more with the tune. The biggest difference is at highway speeds - passing someone from 65-80mph takes a lot less time. Before, on a hot day, with the A/C on on the highway, the car almost felt slow. Now, it still pulls and the AC does not seem to limit the car as much. To sum it up, my GTI went from a zippy little hatchback to something which had some grunt.

Present-Day: The tune has been awesome, but after daily driving the car for a few months, I have 1 issue. Although the torque surge is great, it is hard to control. Accelerating at medium throttle is almost like accelerating at full throttle, because once the turbo kicks in it just goes. Although that is what the tune is supposed to do, I'm not crazy about it. The surge in torque is not always easy to control, and this is why I am going Stage II in a couple of days.

Reliability wise, I have had no issues but recently the clutch has started to slip in 3rd and 4th when it is cold.

In total, though, Stage I is certainly worth its money. The torque and power gains are immense, and will leave you with a desire to go Stage II.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
You'll find stage 2 is almost a let down until you realize you have much better throttle control and no surge. Stage 1 is a kids tune. Stage 2 is the adult tune.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
On my Gli, I went straight to stage 2 with a stock intake and stock downpipe even though you're not supposed to. The torque spike was insane at 3000-3500 rpms. Then I installed the 3" downpipe and the torque spike went away and became more linear.
I honestly think the downpipe has a lot to do with the Torque spike and drivability more than the tune does.

boostllama

You'll find stage 2 is almost a let down until you realize you have much better throttle control and no surge. Stage 1 is a kids tune. Stage 2 is the adult tune.
Yeah I just went stage 2 a month ago. Not a huge difference in power but the fun factor is much much higher

boostllama

On my Gli, I went straight to stage 2 with a stock intake and stock downpipe even though you're not supposed to. The torque spike was insane at 3000-3500 rpms. Then I installed the 3" downpipe and the torque spike went away and became more linear.
I honestly think the downpipe has a lot to do with the Torque spike and drivability more than the tune does.
Yeah I think without the torque spike the power is much more controllable IMO. I do a lot of highway driving and the high-rpm HP gain is definitely noticeable.