GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 Gti muffler resonator delete

Ok. I am a jabroni and this might be a jabroni question but I’ve done so much research and I can’t find anything that helps me. And I can’t ask friends cause they aren’t that much into cars. I myself am still learning new things everyday. Now onto the reason for this. I have an aftermarket dp, with a high flow cat. An aftermarket cbe all that jazz. And hopefully soon much more(money is tight with school). But anywhos I just feel like my car isn’t satisfying me with the sound. I don’t wanna be “that guy” but I wanna be happy with the sound I’m hearing. I am just wondering do I get a muffler and resonator delete? Or just one of them? I’m sorry if it sounds not so smart but I kid you not I’ve looked at so many forums and watched so many videos and none of it feels like it’s helping. I’m hoping I’ll have enough money saved from this whole year to get a tune(little by little). I’m probably going to wait until then to make my decision but it would be nice to get some opinions and information on it beforehand. Please be nice I’m still kinda new to this and I have to figure it out by myself ain’t got no one to teach me. Thanks for your time if I get responses

torga

Autocross Champion
What brand DP and what brand CBE?

Generally a res delete is recommended for a stock CBE to free up some sound, but I don't generally see people deleting resonators from aftermarket CBE - only adding resonators to CBE that didn't have one (to combat drone). Deleting the muffler on an aftermarket CBE with an aftermarket DP is gonna be LOUD. And very likely not good loud. It'll be loud like a really spicy hot sauce that's only painfully spicy with zero flavor (think Da' Bomb if you've ever seen Hot Ones). But it could be worse... you could be catless straight piped.

torga

Autocross Champion
Fantastic reference lol

I'm gonna double down on what torga said. A lot of your noise will come down to what DP and CBE you've got.
I am a Hot Ones connoisseur - love that show. And I have gotten the opportunity to try Da Bomb... the guests are not exaggerating. That shit is battery acid.

For example, I've had a Beluga Racing catback for about a year. It sounded perfectly fine when I was Stage 1, but as soon as I installed an aftermarket DP and went Stage 2, it started to sound bad. A bit unconstrained, one-dimensional and raspy at the top end. I replaced it with an APR catback this past weekend and the difference in sound quality is astonishing. It's like comparing a professional tenor opera singer versus some guy just screaming. Cheap catbacks exhaust components generally use thinner gauge steel, which will vibrate/resonate more. Think about a guitar playing the highest note on the thinnest string and then the lowest note on the thickest string. The gauge of steel in an exhaust will behave similarly.

Last edited:

Phur

Autocross Champion
@torga
*note to self: Save for APR downpipe and exhaust... don't get impatient and cheap out.*

torga

Autocross Champion
*note to self: Save for APR downpipe and exhaust... don't get impatient and cheap out.*
It wasn't *terribly* expensive, I guess. I picked up the DP used for about $450 and I managed to stack some coupon codes last week for approx. 20% off the new catback. I wanted to try and find it used, but my area is scarce for Euro parts and shipping a catback as a regular person sucks.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Do you still have to pay to upgrade to the Stage 2 Tune with a used APR downpipe?

torga

Autocross Champion
Do you still have to pay to upgrade to the Stage 2 Tune with a used APR downpipe?
I dunno the answer if you have an APR tune. I'm on GIAC and I've got a guy in town that'll just flash me up or down for $50 a pop.
I bet if you already bought a Stage 1 from them they'd toss a Stage 2 your way if you asked; there's no serial number on the DP to register against a tune.

Phur

Autocross Champion
APR charges 150 dollars to upgrade from 1 - 2, unless you have their downpipe.

torga

Autocross Champion
APR charges 150 dollars to upgrade from 1 - 2, unless you have their downpipe.
Yeah, I was trying to say that maybe they'll still honor the free upgrade with a used DP. Worth a shot, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

What brand DP and what brand CBE?

Generally a res delete is recommended for a stock CBE to free up some sound, but I don't generally see people deleting resonators from aftermarket CBE - only adding resonators to CBE that didn't have one (to combat drone). Deleting the muffler on an aftermarket CBE with an aftermarket DP is gonna be LOUD. And very likely not good loud. It'll be loud like a really spicy hot sauce that's only painfully spicy with zero flavor (think Da' Bomb if you've ever seen Hot Ones). But it could be worse... you could be catless straight piped.
CTS DP, DFG CBE

torga

Autocross Champion
CTS DP, DFG CBE
So neither the CTS DP nor the DFG CBE have a resonator to be deleted. Unless you added one? If you didn't, your options are a catless downpipe or the muffler delete. I wouldn't recommend deleting the muffler as that's part of where the sound quality comes from (these aren't naturally good-sounding engines). If you get a catless downpipe you'll add volume but likely at the cost of adding drone. So you may want to have a resonator welded onto the midpipe to control that (the Vibrant 17950 comes highly recommended from many members).

torga

Autocross Champion
4 cylinders, in general, don't naturally sound good.
I dunno man, there were plenty 4 cyl engines that sounded great in the 80s and 90s. Honda's B16, B18 and F20C; Nissan's SR20; Toyota's 4AGE (16V and the even better-sounding 20V), 3SGE (turbo and N/A versions); Subaru's EJ20. Coincidentally, all my examples are Japanese. Don't even get me started on their 6 cyl engines - man do they sing.