GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI new owner

Kickerdank

Hello I recently purchased a 2011 GTI with what I believe to be a stage 2 APR intake. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me identify what exactly is installed already from these pics so I can determine what I should do next. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 20191121_233446.jpg
    20191121_233446.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 93
  • 20191121_233455.jpg
    20191121_233455.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
  • 20191121_233518.jpg
    20191121_233518.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
APR intake yes, but not necessarily considered "stage 2." They sell it in two separate pieces. If it had stage 2 you would also have the down pipe.

torga

Autocross Champion
It's a "Stage 2" intake because it has the carbon fiber tube from the MAF to the turbo inlet. If it were just "Stage 1", it would only have the front air box and still utilize the OEM tube.
It's kind of confusing that APR uses that nomenclature - it has nothing to do with Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Hello I recently purchased a 2001 GTI with what I believe to be a stage 2 APR intake. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me identify what exactly is installed already from these pics so I can determine what I should do next. Thanks in advance!!

A 2001 GTI?

Let's see what you got. What is it you want to do? I think it came with 1.8T engine?

torga

Autocross Champion
A 2001 GTI?

Let's see what you got. What is it you want to do? I think it came with 1.8T engine?
I think OP made a typo, because the engine in the photo is most def a 2.0 TSI.

Kickerdank

Yeah it's a 2011 2.0l TSI with the stage 2 apr cold air intake. I'm thinking APR exhaust or stage 1 APR tune next but I'm not sure if a tune was previously applied. Is there anything I can connect to check the current vehicle setup?

torga

Autocross Champion
Yeah it's a 2011 2.0l TSI with the stage 2 apr cold air intake. I'm thinking APR exhaust or stage 1 APR tune next but I'm not sure if a tune was previously applied. Is there anything I can connect to check the current vehicle setup?
You can call the major tuning companies (APR, Unitronic, GIAC, etc.) and ask them to run your VIN. They'll be able to tell you if a tune has been associated with it.

Kickerdank

You can call the major tuning companies (APR, Unitronic, GIAC, etc.) and ask them to run your VIN. They'll be able to tell you if a tune has been associated with it.
Great idea, I didnt know they had that info on file!! Seeing as it has the "stage 2" APR cold air intake I'll start by calling them. Thanks again!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
First mod should be a look at the timing chain tensioner. If needed install a new one. Enjoy your new GTI, they're fun cars.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
At what mileage should it be replaced it's currently at 60k

The old style tensioner can go at any moment. The sooner the better really. Lot's of info on it.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I don't know a hard & fast mileage number, but I would say the sooner the better. If that tensioner fails it can & will cause catastrophic damage to the engine.