GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 gti with r20 calipers, no brake pressure after pad change.

v3n0mou5

Hey guys,

Last week my brake pads were replace on the front side. After replacement i have no brake pressure at all. pedal goes to the bottom.

I tried bleeding the brakes. that did not work.

They forgot to remove the brake fluid cap when pushing the piston back.

Im going to try to bleed it with vcds tonight.

thanks in advance.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
If you have zero pressure, can not even pump them quickly and get any pressure and have bled the brakes sounds like a serious issue.

Who changed the brake pads? If it was a shop you paid to do it I would take it back to them, also, how did you get home? lol

v3n0mou5

Maybe i explained it wrong,

I got no pressure like before. The car brakes but not like before. The pedal has to be on the bottom then it brakes. But not much. So i drove the car home carefully.

A shop did it. Ive been back but they said they have no idea how to solve it. Got part of my money back...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Confirm you have brake pads installed (look)
Confirm fluid level
Check around brake line areas in front to make sure there is no leaking
Doubt any of the above is a problem, just sounds like bleeding issue.
Just bleed in sequence with the help of someone to pump the pedal and don't let MC run dry as you pump out the fluid.
1 - Front left brake caliper
2 - Front right brake caliper
3 - Rear left brake caliper
4 - Rear right brake caliper

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Just bleed in sequence with the help of someone to pump the pedal and don't let MC run dry as you pump out the fluid.
1 - Front left brake caliper
2 - Front right brake caliper
3 - Rear left brake caliper
4 - Rear right brake caliper

This. Important is that this is NOT the normal procedure as usually you start from the farthest from the master cylinder. It sounds like the shop actually doesn't work on VWs well since they threw up their hands and gave you some money back. It is almost certain they did not check the specific order.

If you are not using a power bleeder make sure to depress the pedal slowly and steadily and have the person tighten the bleeder screw BEFORE you reach the bottom.

Hopefully it's just a bleeding issue. It's pretty crazy to have this issue from a simple front brake pad replacement.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
From the Bentley Manual for GTI

v3n0mou5

Thank you all for your responses,

Im having the feeling that they installed the wrong pads, since the inner circle near the hub of my brake disc is getting rusty. Im not driving the vehicle, new pads are arriving tomorrow. Im just gonna do it myself.

i usually work on my own golf mk2. but since this was a newer typ of vehicle, i figured id bring it to a shop. Im regretting that decision now..

I will post updates.

Also i have read on certain forums that it helps to bleed the abs pump with vcds. wich i have. Should i add that to my todo list?

v3n0mou5

I replaced the pads with the ones i ordered,

when i removed the caliper it was very obvious, its ridiculous they even mounted them. only 90% of the pad was touching the disc. the rest was sticking out....

issue has been resolved thank god. Never going back there again.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I'd raise a stink with the shop but glad you got it figured out and restored the safety of your car.

(y)

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
TIL: I’ve been bleeding my brakes in the wrong order. It’s never been an issue though, so I’m not sure what bullet I’ve been dodging.

Zanic L3

Passed Driver's Ed
TIL: I’ve been bleeding my brakes in the wrong order. It’s never been an issue though, so I’m not sure what bullet I’ve been dodging.
Dont think it actually matters all that much tbh.
When I did mine last time around I started with the left front as I've followed guidance on here although some ppl in a Facebook group told me to start with the rear right

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Dont think it actually matters all that much tbh.
When I did mine last time around I started with the left front as I've followed guidance on here although some ppl in a Facebook group told me to start with the rear right

RT rear (farthest from the master cylinder) is old conventional wisdom from the days of drum brakes and points ignition systems. As with everything else on cars in the modern era, brake systems have become highly advanced, integrated, and dependent on computers.

Does it matter? Personally, when it comes down to the brakes I will be relying on to stop me from 60MPH in an emergency, I'd just go ahead and follow the instructions of the folks that built the system, and not some rando's on Facebook. ;) Maybe it only becomes important in 1 of 100 situations, but when that 1 situation occurs and you plow into a minivan at full speed it probably becomes VERY important. :D