GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 is running rich and want to know if i should try to get new spark plugs or coils too or both

KermitWitDaMk6

Mk6 is running rich and want to know if i should try to get new spark plugs or coils too or both, its Stage 1 APR tuned and just got the car in the past month, i worry for the health of the car due to the tune i feel like it puts more stress on the engine so i want to make sure the decision i make is the best one, any suggestions? Thanks!

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
How did you confirm this? What code did you get?

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Could be the nature of your tune. Are you able to log AFR and anything else? Data would really help here.

FWIW, I went Cobb stage 1 high boost 93 octane and started running a fair amount richer. Replaced coils, plugs, PCV, DV, intake manifold, etc., before I tuned it. Logs are good, it’s just how the tune uses fuel to cool things down a bit in my case (y)

KermitWitDaMk6

Thanks Mk6Autobahn and Blakcard, i suspect my car is running rich because my exaust and tips, i can smell gas sometimes depending how fast, also ive only been running 93 ever since i got the car and figure the spark plugs/coils may be wearing (car has 127,000 miles) and not ignited the gas fast enough? idk

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Are you on original coils and plugs? If so you might wanna replace them just for added insurance.

I know these cars even run a bit rich from the factory, carbon buildup is a very prevalent issue but if you’re excessively smelling gasoline then I figure something bigger is at play.

KermitWitDaMk6

i assume they are stock unless the previous owner changed them i need to check them, but i really only smell gas when im more aggresive on accelerating, and theres no issues with the car that i can feel hear, or see and i worry for the plugs to be worn enough where other parts will start to wear, so thats why i was asking the question if i should just get plugs, or coils too maybe some decent preformance ones? or if it is just the way it runs due to the tune then i worry for no reason.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Pull the plugs and see what they look like.

With a tune I'd put in R8 coil packs and new plugs.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Keep in mind, you mentioned added stress to the engine...any time you increase performance, you’ll increase the rate of wear. This goes for engine tuning, trans tuning, suspension, etc. It can be fun and rewarding if you stay on top of maintenance.

IMO, best place to start is physically checking the plugs to see wear and datalogging what the car is doing, it can usually tell you more than we can (y)

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Consensus is in. With no codes it's hard to diagnose. Pull the plugs and take a picture post it up.

I've heard the same that these cars run rich and I too have smelled unburnt fuel after a hard run. Check for stored codes too. Never know. Doubt it's your 02 sensor cause you for sure would throw a code.

Start cheap. Plugs. Good plugs..Get the R8 coil packs. Keep A data log. Use good gas. Regular maintenance

Good luck and keep us posted!

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Thanks Mk6Autobahn and Blakcard, i suspect my car is running rich because my exaust and tips, i can smell gas sometimes depending how fast, also ive only been running 93 ever since i got the car and figure the spark plugs/coils may be wearing (car has 127,000 miles) and not ignited the gas fast enough? idk

Turbo car. Black tips. Trust me.
Clean em often with a green scrubbing pad and some steel wool. Put some polish on it and wipe the off when u finish your drive to keep the clean.
Did you do an oil change yet?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie