GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 R Cam follower, lobe, pump assessment

Mike2512

I changed the cam follower at 50,000 miles and would appreaciate feedback on the condition of the follower, lobe, pump.
Is has been running a stage 1 tune for around 25,000. Serviced regualrly with oil changes around 7,000 intervals.

Attachments

• IMG-9505.JPG
    IMG-9505.JPG
    937 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG-9506.JPG
    IMG-9506.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG-9508.JPG
    IMG-9508.JPG
    512.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG-9526.JPG
    IMG-9526.JPG
    569.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG-9527.JPG
    IMG-9527.JPG
    439.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG-9529.JPG
    IMG-9529.JPG
    757.7 KB · Views: 130

Mike2512

You definitely got some wear on the follower. I believe the recommended service interval for these once you're tuned is roughly every 5k miles. Looks like a bit of marring on the lobe as well, but I'm not a super expert.

@Thumper I think will have some good advice here for ya on this one.
Thanks for the reply.

I was expecting some wear on the follower. The coating has something left on the edges which appears consistent with "stage 2" wear. Do they usually wear on the inside pump contact point?
Somewhat concerned about the cam lobe. Would it help to have a pic of the flat side of the cam?
You definitely got some wear on the follower. I believe the recommended service interval for these once you're tuned is roughly every 5k miles. Looks like a bit of marring on the lobe as well, but I'm not a super expert.

@Thumper I think will have some good advice here for ya on this one.

Attachments

• Cam follower.jpg
    Cam follower.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 121

Thumper

Autocross Champion
This is what mine looked like after roughly 27k all of it as a Stg3 car.

I am SUPER glad I decided to change it, I had thought the guy I bought the car from said he had done it "recently", when I checked the records and notes he had I found out it had been 27k.

I will be changing it again after 10k this time to get a gauge for the wear, and I bought the replacement from FCPEuro so I will never have to buy one again and can change it whenever I want with their lifetime warranty.

Hard to see your lobe much but doesn't look deeply beat up. This is mine.

Wear on the inside should be minimal as the pump spring should not be moving inside the follower, if it is you have a weak spring and it's causing "slapping". The wear on the outside is due to the cam lobe sliding across the surface and pushing against the tension of the spring.

I would recommend you do what I am doing and change it again in 10k and look at it, see what the wear looks like then and then move the interval out; 15k next time, if it's still good you could go to 20k but would not go past that. It's not that hard to change and if you use FCP it will cost you nothing so pushing it too far just isn't worth it IMHO.

Mike2512

Thanks for the reply Thumper.

I'm looking to go stage 2 ECU/TCU within the next few months. Will pull the follower prior to see how it looks and go from there. Will take images of the lobe and update.

Considering an order through FCPEuro for a follower kit. In terms of fit/wear, do people generally have a good experience with INA or is OE preferred?

Nice build on the 6R BTW.

This is what mine looked like after roughly 27k all of it as a Stg3 car.

I am SUPER glad I decided to change it, I had thought the guy I bought the car from said he had done it "recently", when I checked the records and notes he had I found out it had been 27k.

I will be changing it again after 10k this time to get a gauge for the wear, and I bought the replacement from FCPEuro so I will never have to buy one again and can change it whenever I want with their lifetime warranty.

Hard to see your lobe much but doesn't look deeply beat up. This is mine.

Wear on the inside should be minimal as the pump spring should not be moving inside the follower, if it is you have a weak spring and it's causing "slapping". The wear on the outside is due to the cam lobe sliding across the surface and pushing against the tension of the spring.

I would recommend you do what I am doing and change it again in 10k and look at it, see what the wear looks like then and then move the interval out; 15k next time, if it's still good you could go to 20k but would not go past that. It's not that hard to change and if you use FCP it will cost you nothing so pushing it too far just isn't worth it IMHO.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the reply Thumper.

I'm looking to go stage 2 ECU/TCU within the next few months. Will pull the follower prior to see how it looks and go from there. Will take images of the lobe and update.

Considering an order through FCPEuro for a follower kit. In terms of fit/wear, do people generally have a good experience with INA or is OE preferred?

Nice build on the 6R BTW.

Both brands will work fine. I used to have INA and just recently swapped again for INA. Some people prefer the OE/Genuine part, comes down to personal preference and what you judge is safe doing.
For the record I am at 100k miles, tuned to Stage 1+ for the last 10,000, and have had no issues using aftermarket on this part.

Mike2512

Thanks for that.
I've ordered an INA kit.
Most speak well of INA and there are indications INA could be the OE supplier.

Mike2512

I changed the intake from a revo to volant recently and noticed oil in the turbo and end of the intake/hose. From what I can workout this is could be related to the pcv or a turbo seal. Does this look pcv or seal in this instance?

When changing the intake I noticed the revo inlet hose has a reduced internal diameter to match the K04, whereas volant use a standard hose setup.
Is there a benefit with the revo design over volant in terms of flow etc?

Attachments

• IMG-9511.JPG
    IMG-9511.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG-9510.JPG
    IMG-9510.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9535.jpg
    IMG_9535.jpg
    950 KB · Views: 106