GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 vs mk7 golf chassis - towbar

Bugsy_Malone 666

Passed Driver's Ed
I understand the platforms are different between the 2 and it seems that there are towbars for each, but I wondered if anyone knew what the difference in fitment is?

I bought a mk7 towbar (no electrics, but a westfalia detachable) about a year ago (when I had a mk7) for towing a car trailer to move some project cars, but didn't fit it, it's a brand new westfalia one which I then Considered fitting it to my mk4 4motion golf as after I got rid the mk7 it was still kicking about and my 4motion can tow more than a standard 2wd mk6/7!

I had the rear bumper off and when I offered it up, the holes in the 'chassis' were about 1/2" narrower each side against the fitment of the mk7 one, so that was a no go.

Now I have a mk6 again, I wondered will a mk7 one slot in to a mk7?

Im not so worried if the bolt holes aren't in the right place as I can just redrill and weld new captive nuts on, but obviously that will only work if it slots in to the chassis rails.

The other question I had was about the electronics for the tow bars, I haven't bought any and I know there is a box, but I have seen one for a mk6 and one for a mk6 cabrio(different part numbers), I was wondering what's really different between the 2 cars as I can get the cabrio kit about 20% cheaper on ebay!

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I know it's a little more, but have you considered a tow dolly? Used they can be quite the bargain, at least here in the States.

Bugsy_Malone 666

Passed Driver's Ed
I guess I should take in to account in the states you call it a trailer hitch. Factory westfalia hitch for towing.

zrickety

The Fixer
I see, sorry for the confusion. A tow bar here is typically on the front, to be pulled by an RV or motor home.
I'd imagine the harness for the cabrio had different connectors. The towbars I have seen are usually too small or light duty, never rated for pulling a project car. A small trailer, yes.

Bugsy_Malone 666

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I was thinking yes a cabriolet is never going to have the towing capacity of a normal mk6 (although I haven't checked) I though exactly how could the wiring kit be any different other than maybe an extra couple of feet of wiring as the body is longer.

Mainly though wiring isn't the issue, trying to find out if the westfalia hitch will slide in the chassis rails so I don't have to take my bumper with parking sensors off just to find out :)

zrickety

The Fixer
In my experience, the MK6 and MK7 are too different. If the part numbers for the hitch are not the same, it's not going to work without major fabrication. Best to sell what you have on ebay or the forum, and buy the right one.