GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 engine died, about to rebuild engine myself. (0 engine building experiance)

nerfsmurf

12/2/2020

Someone that I know that rebuilds these engines offered to pull, strip the old engine of components (a/c, alternator, starter, etc) and swap to new engine, install engine, completely reassemble front end, and top off fluids if I give him my old engine. Guys I think I'm done here! I think this is the best bet. I only wished he would have offered me this before I did a majority of the teardown.

11/30/2020

I am attempting to re-build to save costs. I've been doing a lot of thinking of what would be more "responsible" for my situation and I decided to buy a used engine and just do the swap myself. As much as I would love to tackle the rebuild myself, I don't have the cash to chance making a mistake and either instantly bend valves, or miss something that causes the engine to prematurely die.

Original Post

The oil levels in my engine got a bit too low over the last few weeks (my fault I know) and while driving I lost power and got the EPC light and flashing CEL. I pulled over, added oil (late as hell I know), pulled plugs, inspected the insides of the cylinders the best I can with a phone flashlight thru the spark plug holes and noticed the 2 inner cylinders had oil and or a lot of carbon deposits in them, whereas the other 2 looked brand new (from my limited view anyway). I was able to limp home, 20 miles, on what felt like 3 cylinders, but by the time I got home the car had zero power and died twice and the dsg didn't want to shift. Car doesn't make any weird noises except sounding like a cylinder is dead.

Anywho, I will break the head off to see what's going on this weekend. Compression test shows 170psi on cylinders 1,2,4 and 0psi on 3. I'm fairly handy with a wrench and for the last 5 years I've done plenty of work on cars outside the engine itself. If its top end, I think I can tackle the repair myself. I don't have a lot of cash and 4k for used engine may be a bit out of range for me.

I know the saying "pay to play" but after part shopping a bit, I think I can rebuild my engine for about 2k and allot of my personal time. I still don't know how much machining costs may run me, but I know 3 ea888 rebuilders that I can ask.

Car has been tuned from 30k and now has 115k miles. Is38 has been installed since 60k. Car also has been driven very spirited! 2017 Gti S. I've been changing oil every 3-5k but during the last 30k, I've notice that I've been losing oil a bit quicker.

Think it's worth giving it a shot? I've been thinking of recoding the entire process. I'll post pics inside the cylinders and of the valves when I get to it.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I’m sooooo subscribed to this thread. I JUST mentioned in another thread about wanting to learn how to do this.

Where are you located?

nerfsmurf

Dallas. Yea I'll borrow a GoPro and record everything. Hopefully it's just something with the head, maybe valve or something. In which case I may wrap it up with repairing the head. Although after looking at how affordable pistons, rods, studs, and valve springs are, I may go ahead and give it a shot anyway.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
With zero compression on cylinder 3 I would be surprised if the piston ring isn't bad.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm here to follow. As a teen, I helped rebuild quite a few Alfa Romeo twin cam engines and it's crazy to me how rebuilding engines has gone so out of fashion. I've had 2 cars that needed engines, one a new 08 STI that got 2 replaced under warranty, then rebuilt with forged pistons. And an 06 Miata that had rod knock. I was planning to rebuild, but you could get low mileage long blocks for 750 to 1500, so it was cheaper to just swap it for the later engine with forged rods.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
With zero compression on cylinder 3 I would be surprised if the piston ring isn't bad.

On an issue with the valves on that cylinder.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Think it's worth giving it a shot? I've been thinking of recoding the entire process. I'll post pics inside the cylinders and of the valves when I get to it.
Definitely worth it. In for learning myself. good luck and more power to you! pun intended.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Guaranteed your piston rings are shot in cylinder 3. You're gonna have to pull the engine out to do the work and to inspect for any damage within the block. No offense but since you never done this before, I would leave it to the pros. I'm all about doing the work yourself but rebuilding the block is not an easy task, especially if there is any machine work involved.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
If you still intend to tackle it yourself, take videos and pictures before you disassemble critical stuff. Can't tell you how many times I've taken a picture and thought to myself I won't need it but then end up going back and zooming in on some stupid piece.

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
Best way to learn is by doing. That being said, this isn't a Briggs and Stratton flat head lawnmower.

The engine sounds toast, so there is little harm in removing it and taking it apart. Stay organized, mark everything in the place and orientation it comes off, get Factory Service Manual with pictures, procedures, and torque values. Document your work. Label the parts. Keep assemblies finger tight if possible and put fasteners in their holes after removal to keep track of location. Prepare to purchase a lot of replacement fasteners as many are TTY/single use. Prepare to purchase, make, or borrow lots of special tools. Read and re-read instructions. Measure everything many times. Surround yourself with people with experience, whether virtual or in person. You will have questions. Prepare yourself for failure. Prepare yourself to do things twice because you mess up the first time. Have a backup plan. Build it with no expectations. That way if it grenades you can take it apart again and learn from your mistakes. Pick up the pieces and start over.

Get to work!

nerfsmurf

Posting an update, I pretty much tore the entire front end of the car and disconnected all hoses and lines attaching the engine to the car. Engine and DSG are held in by mounts, a linkage, 2 axles and one last sensor in the very back of the engine thats just out of reach. Purchasing an engine hoist tomorrow and hopefully I can find a stand for cheap as well.

Pulled the oil filter and I see a bit of glitter... not much, but it looks like small pieces of smooth material. I didn't see any chunks on top of my oil drain disposal tank. I pulled the pan and pump strainer and found 2 pieces that total maybe 3/4 of an inch. Looks like 2 small pieces of piston ring. These were the only large foreign objects I found. Timing looks scary, but I have a guy I can pay to assist with re-timing and I also have the Erwin guides. I think I'll go ahead and pull the head on Wednesday and see what cylinder #3 looks like. Not gonna lie, the EA888.3 has sooooo many hoses and electrical connections to where you wonder if you could ever put everything back together right. But I felt the same way when swapping turbos for the first time.

That way if it grenades you can take it apart again and learn from your mistakes.
Thats scary because I am attempting to re-build to save costs. I've been doing a lot of thinking of what would be more "responsible" for my situation and I may just buy another used engine, and when I have more cash saved, rebuild this engine. Then I can just swap and sell the other stock engine to re-coup some cost.

I been doing some searching and found a cxcb 50k mile engine that appears to be modded and possibly tuned and another cxca engine @ 110k miles, that appears stock and woman driver. Wonder which would be the safer bet. 50k but probably maintained and driven hard vs 110k at stock power levels.

As a side note... my god the amount of carbon buildup on my engine! Might go MPI for that reason alone. If I get a used engine, I'm definitely going to clear that mess out!

I miss my GTI! I've NEVER seen the amount of GTIs on the road as I have since mine has been down.

Thanks for the support, too ready to get the GTI back on the road!

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to hear about the engine and hope you get it sorted. I am decent with a wrench and have a bit of experience, but if it was me I would buy a used engine and do an engine swap. Engine prices seem to be higher then last time I checked a year or so ago. Rebuilding an engine when there is no pressure or time constraints is a lot more enjoyable.

nerfsmurf

Someone that I know that rebuilds these engines offered to pull, strip the old engine of components (a/c, alternator, starter, etc) and swap to new engine, install engine, completely reassemble front end, and top off fluids if I give him my old engine. Guys I think I'm done here! I think this is the best bet. I only wished he would have offered me this before I did a majority of the teardown!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Someone that I know that rebuilds these engines offered to pull, strip the old engine of components (a/c, alternator, starter, etc) and swap to new engine, install engine, completely reassemble front end, and top off fluids if I give him my old engine. Guys I think I'm done here! I think this is the best bet. I only wished he would have offered me this before I did a majority of the teardown!

Hell of a deal. Curious why he would do that when he could get engines from a salvage yard.