GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most reliable MK6 engines.

KDOPE

Hello everyone. I'm planning on buying Golf MK6, but there is a lot of engine options there and I don't know which one I should choose.
In general, I would like to have a gasoline engine, because I live in Lithuania and this year its -20 Celsius here. It would be my first car, and I would like to have at least 100hp (~75kw), but more is never bad.
Thanks in advance for each and everyone!

SliMbo2.5

Ready to race!
I would suggest the 2.5L inline 5 cylinder. I bought a base model 2.5L cause it is my daily driver and hope that it will last as long as my 2.0L mkiv did(15yrs and counting when I sold it @ 275K miles). And the 2.5 has got plenty of power for a 3K lb car.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
1.6L for non-turbo engine, 1.4L TSI and larger would suit your power needs. If you can find a 2.5L I5 engine, as stated above, you'll get what you want as well.

tzd

Ready to race!
I don't know if you can get the 2.5L 5-cylinder engine in Lithuania, as this engine was only used in the US/Canada market. If you can, that is absolutely the most reliable, and also very capable (170 hp/177 lb-ft)

Otherwise, in general any non-turbocharged engine will be more reliable in the long run, especially if it uses Port Injection (vs Direct Injection). Some Direct Injection engines also have Port Injection, as the fuel from port injection helps to clean carbon deposits from the intake valves.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
2.5 liter 5 cylinder is the most reliable.

KDOPE

Sadly, there is no currently any options on 2.5 engine here in Lithuania. There is one option, but it is 2/3 door options, and that is very big turnoff. Any other reliable engines? What about diesel engines?
Thanks for everyone for answers! :)

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah any answers you get from here are typically USA/Canada Stan. There are a few UK and german posters around too but they don't post as much.

Anyway, the diesels are great, but I would hesitate to say they are more reliable than the 2.0t; It's probably about even.

Honestly, the 2.0t in these cars is one of the more reliable engines VW has ever put out. It isn't bullet proof like a 2.5l but if you know what to look for there is very little on these cars that will break and leave you stranded. The failure points are known and we'll documented at this point. Plus getting the 2.0t you will benefit from cheaper parts and better availability as it is by far the most common engine for this generation.

If you do decide to look at 2.0t engines, try and find one that is a late model year such as 2013. This way most of the problem areas (timing tensioner) have been fixed from the factory.

KDOPE

Yeah any answers you get from here are typically USA/Canada Stan. There are a few UK and german posters around too but they don't post as much.

Anyway, the diesels are great, but I would hesitate to say they are more reliable than the 2.0t; It's probably about even.

Honestly, the 2.0t in these cars is one of the more reliable engines VW has ever put out. It isn't bullet proof like a 2.5l but if you know what to look for there is very little on these cars that will break and leave you stranded. The failure points are known and we'll documented at this point. Plus getting the 2.0t you will benefit from cheaper parts and better availability as it is by far the most common engine for this generation.

If you do decide to look at 2.0t engines, try and find one that is a late model year such as 2013. This way most of the problem areas (timing tensioner) have been fixed from the factory.
Thanks for suggestion, but models with late 2013 and such are waaaay over my budget. Do you thing it is still ok to go for 2.0 TDI with year around 2010?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
There's a few UK/European centric VW/Golf forums out there as well that can probably help you better this site is prob 90% Americans and we dont get a lot of those engines here.