GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Motor mount upgrade. Worth the expense?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
A buddy of mine just got a MK5 2.5L jetta and was asking me if I upgraded my motor mounts as he was looking into it for his first mod. I thought it was a strange first mod but it sounds pretty common. Then I saw what they cost. Whoa. $600 to do the engine, trans and dogbone. Ouch. Is it really worth the expense. I never even really gave it a thought until my friend brought it up. It makes sense that is would be a more solid feel but is there any known issue with the stock mounts breaking under load on a tuned 2.5L?

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Good post, I wasn't aware of the difference in feel they made until a couple of years ago when Jay745 posted about how soft the stock ones were. Since then, I've only installed a plastic Dogbone insert on the Golf and I like what it has done, any "rubber banding" oscilations in the drivetrain are gone, things feel more solid from this one addition. BUT I'm not all in to go super stiff, hence why I didn't install a metal Dogbone insert.

With most cars getting older you're going to replace them at some point but spending alot of $$ I don't know if you'd get full value in return. I'd save some cash and put it against maintainance, BUT it's your car you choice.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
A buddy of mine just got a MK5 2.5L jetta and was asking me if I upgraded my motor mounts as he was looking into it for his first mod. I thought it was a strange first mod but it sounds pretty common. Then I saw what they cost. Whoa. $600 to do the engine, trans and dogbone. Ouch. Is it really worth the expense. I never even really gave it a thought until my friend brought it up. It makes sense that is would be a more solid feel but is there any known issue with the stock mounts breaking under load on a tuned 2.5L?

Is it really worth the expense - not if they are otherwise in good condition. Replace if they are worn. Most of the turbo guys upgrade them because they are modding and their motor are making increasing amounts of torque causing the motor to twist too much. At those prices there are many other things you could do that would make a much bigger difference.

Sway bars
More aggressive brake pads and new rotors
Or look for a used set of R brakes and put them up front - HUGE improvement.
A quality set of street tires

These would be good first mods (just an opinion)