GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Golf R journey begins

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
How much is this repaint, btw?
Really the only problem area is the hood but they will blend across both fenders and bumper. 1100.00, This shop does really nice work and make things look new. I have had them paint a couple of cars in the past and they were beautiful.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
IIRC, the 2008 has the Tremec 3650 trans and 2009 has a higher capacity dry sump. Other things like the steering wheel and fobs are also updated
Yes, my only problem is people are asking a lot for them. I am more concerned about the valve issue that 2006 - 2011 LS7s suffered from (fatal). So I am looking for one that has something like American Heritage heads and possibly a cam but still has stock manifolds. And one with a fresh clutch and tires all with reasonable mileage (lower mileage examples are fairly common). I think I can find what I want for under 40K. It is a lot of car with plenty of power as is, sophisticated suspension and with just a set of good tires and coilovers it is ready for the track or a trip to the grocery store. Having said all that I favor getting a Mk7 Golf R as it is more comfortable, practical and I can get it wtih a DSG. What would really cinch the deal for me would be if APR can get CARB approval for their new turbo kit which they indicate they will. Running that with E85 would be perfect (450-500whp) for me. If not, always wanted a Boxster and if I could find a low mileage one to just have fun with on weekends I might go that way. It is pretty easy to find an unmolested low mileage one but it needs to have had the LMS done. I have had a couple of Porsches and they are a lot of fun to drive and so well put together. Again you can find really nice ones of well under 40K. Mostly dreaming and window shopping at this point but if I run across the right deal I will jump.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Yes, my only problem is people are asking a lot for them. I am more concerned about the valve issue that 2006 - 2011 LS7s suffered from (fatal). So I am looking for one that has something like American Heritage heads and possibly a cam but still has stock manifolds. And one with a fresh clutch and tires all with reasonable mileage (lower mileage examples are fairly common). I think I can find what I want for under 40K. It is a lot of car with plenty of power as is, sophisticated suspension and with just a set of good tires and coilovers it is ready for the track or a trip to the grocery store. Having said all that I favor getting a Mk7 Golf R as it is more comfortable, practical and I can get it wtih a DSG. What would really cinch the deal for me would be if APR can get CARB approval for their new turbo kit which they indicate they will. Running that with E85 would be perfect (450-500whp) for me. If not, always wanted a Boxster and if I could find a low mileage one to just have fun with on weekends I might go that way. It is pretty easy to find an unmolested low mileage one but it needs to have had the LMS done. I have had a couple of Porsches and they are a lot of fun to drive and so well put together. Again you can find really nice ones of well under 40K. Mostly dreaming and window shopping at this point but if I run across the right deal I will jump.
I would consider a Grand Sport over a Z. You get all the good stuff and a more reliable engine. The 7R is a completely different experience.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well all my stocks are so low can't sell now so stuck with the R until things turn around. So before painting, guess I will do a couple more little upgrades.

1. HPFP upgrade kit
2. Go from APR1 to APR+
3. Get the Diesel Geek Sigma and a weighted shifter

Hopefully I won't think of anything else. The APR+ should provide that little bit of extra at the top end that Stage 1 is missing. Everybody knows that these shifters need help if you want to do any spirited driving. Can't decide which to start with. I know, both because they are so easy.