GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Advice - Engine wiring harness replacement

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
So my car recently started having electrical issues. After not being able to fix it myself, I took it to the dealer. They confirmed there were shorts in the main engine wiring harness and it would need to be replaced.
Dealer quoted me around $1500, which seems high to me price wise, but also seems likely unnecessary and far from the best way to resolve the issue.

More than anything I’m wondering if the whole thing really needs to be replaced. Is the dealership saying to replace it because they don’t want to take the time and effort to actually troubleshoot it?

Wondering if anyone has replaced it and how in depth it is. At minimum I’m going to call a few Indy shops to see what they would charge. Just wanted some feedback from anyone who had had to replace theirs.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
The complete wiring harness is $200 or less I believe. Get it yourself and spend 2-3 hours changing it out. Go from there.

I saw some of the mk7 harnesses for around $200-250 but for some reason the mk6 engine harness is considerably more. Dealership quoted me $570 and cheapest I’ve been able to find it myself is about $360.

Regardless, I still have doubts that being the best way to go about trying to fix it. The codes I throw the most and consistently are for the map sensor signal low and also the manifold flap position sensor short.
After researching, I found that those 2 sensors share some common wires, and my faults support that. Frequency counter is exactly the same. Every time I throw a fault for the map, I then get one for the positioning sensor.

I measured resistance and found them to be on spec initially but when I moved the harness around a little, especially more toward the map sensor, I’d start to get intermittent open circuit faults.

I know electrical issues can be difficult to track down sometimes but I feel I’ve got narrowed down enough to make it worth at least trying to find where the short or broken wire is. Dealership also confirmed all of this. I feel like they just don’t want to deal with it or take the time/effort to even try to fix it. To them it’s easier to say replace everything as they know exactly how long that job takes etc. Trying to find and fix it means dealing with potential unknowns so they want nothing to do with that.

So does anyone know how the wiring is routed for the map sensor and position sensor? The wiring diagram shows their common wires join together at connection 21 of the main harness. In the diagram below blue star is the map sensor and yellow is the flap positioning sensor.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I'm by no means an electrical wizard but if it were be I would start at flap position sensor and open up the harness and follow the black wire (assuming schematic colors are correct). If it goes through the firewall get continuity tester and locate same wire. You know the flap black wire ends at the junction.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah that’s pretty much what I’ve started doing. The flap positioning sensor is routed up underneath the manifold so I can’t really take the whole wiring apart without taking a bunch more stuff off. Since I think the problem wiring is more around the map sensor area and that wiring is a lot easier to access, I’m going from there till I hit this connector 21. It all seems to come together in the wiring behind the driver-side head light so I think it’s in that area. Then runs under the battery and into the ecm.

wandaruth

I have a lot of experience with this car because I have one. Some of these problems applied to me as well. When I took out the entire dash, and dash frame, a hefty dose of issues appeared, even more like you. I thought that I wouldn't be able to get out of this unfavorable situation. I was searching day for day solutions to these troubles. It seemed impossible to me. One day, I was out with some of my friends, and a man told me about his problems and how he solved them. These were identical to mine. So he told me to navigate on //gordonpowers.com.au/suburb/electrician-lane-cove/. There he found an electrician company that helped to get rid of this type of trouble. I listened to his advice, and definitely, it was the best choice in my life because they fixed all the problems I had with my car.

Last edited: