GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2.5 owner here with some questions

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I had a 2014 Golf auto, then a 2014 GTI manual, 2009 Miata, then back to a 2007 Rabbit.

The 2.5L is probably the favorite engine--definitely not a fast engine but feels lively and has character.

Some quick questions though--

1. How should the NVH feel when accelerating at highway speeds? When I'm in 5th gear and give it moderate gas above 2500 RPM I get a decent bit of vibrations. It feels absolutely fine on city speeds and I try to keep in mind that inline 5 doesn't have primary balance.

2. When engine braking, it feels like the engine lurches down suddenly after 5 seconds under all driving scenarios.

Otherwise, so far so good with the Rabbit.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Welcome back! Change the engine mounts and install one of those inserts in the Dog Bone under the car.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks. I have the dogbone insert on order, also need to replace the front control arm rear bushings--I am hoping that's the main culprit.

Maxey

Ready to race!
As far as the weird engine braking, mine does that too; I'm assuming it's the same part of the factory tune that causes the rev-hang when changing gears.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think it has to do with the transmission. I'm always in the same gear when the lurching thing happens.
I got a United Motorsport stage 1 tune and the biggest benefit was the weird lurch. It just feels like a regular engine braking, where you can feel a bit of deceleration as soon as (or I guess several miliseconds since it's a electronic throttle body) you get off the gas. Highly recommended.