GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2011 GTI owner, New cylinder head?

simo10

I bought a one owner 2011 GTI with 145K on it a few weeks ago from a local used car dealer for a great price. It looks, runs and drives great. I was a little worried about the known chain tensioner issues so I was about to tear into it to see if it had been replaced.

Well, from the day I bought it I noticed a few things. The engine cover, tow hook and cover were missing. I also noticed the engine looked reaaallly clean. Like too clean. The aluminum was spotless. I had never never seen a 150k engine this clean.

Well, I may have found out why. I happened to notice a peeling sticker on the valve cover... dated 11-22-2018. I looked up the part number and it is an OEM cylinder head assembly to the tune of almost $1800. I can't find records of it despite the carfax having almost 40 service records at the dealer.

Does this mean the cylinder head was replaced? Possibly the whole engine? Judging by the other service records dates, the new cylinder head (engine??) has less than 6k miles. Did I just win the lottery lol?

Attachments

• IMG_20200110_130003.jpg
    IMG_20200110_130003.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 117

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I guess you are the lucky winner. I would think if the bottom end was "new" you would also notice. No amount of degreaser would make it look new after 145k miles... and the guy installing the cylinder head isn't doing a restoration that's for sure.

simo10

Oh man... I just got a hold of the VW dealer where this was serviced. Guess what service wasn't on Carfax?

Full cylinder head replacement, all the timing chains, timing chain tensioner, new plugs, coil packs, intake manifold and to top it off, new DSG clutch and fluid less than 5000 miles ago!!! The total was almost $9000 and I nearly jumped out of my seat. The car lot I bought it from got it from auction and didn't know anything about it.

I paid $5600 for it haha. Time to drive it like I (almost) stole it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191230_141729.jpg
    IMG_20191230_141729.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20191230_141741.jpg
    IMG_20191230_141741.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 98

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Nice!! You had the weak link already taken care of with all the newest updated parts (chain, tensioner) plus a new DSG clutch!! Enjoy the car

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Thats bloody awesome

Blobb9

Oh man... I just got a hold of the VW dealer where this was serviced. Guess what service wasn't on Carfax?

Full cylinder head replacement, all the timing chains, timing chain tensioner, new plugs, coil packs, intake manifold and to top it off, new DSG clutch and fluid less than 5000 miles ago!!! The total was almost $9000 and I nearly jumped out of my seat. The car lot I bought it from got it from auction and didn't know anything about it.

I paid $5600 for it haha. Time to drive it like I (almost) stole it.
This is fucking sick!!!!!! Good on ya!