GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New APR Ignition Coils are Here! Plug and Play, Multiple Colors, 10% More Spark Energy!

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I don't believe I have that specific information. In general I want to do a deeper dive into ignition coils with our engineers. I can't say how soon that will be, but we'll probably do a good writeup and video to jump more into this subject. I think it would be pretty interesting, and obviously would help move a few more units, so I'm down to do it!
Honestly, the fact that they're just over half the current price of OEM red tops is going to move more units than anything else you can do.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Honestly, the fact that they're just over half the current price of OEM red tops is going to move more units than anything else you can do.
Made attempt after attempt in trying to get answers...only to have you try and discourage him. 😂 LOL
047297b7-a5d9-4e3c-b03c-29f9533a2b6d.jpg

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I installed the APR coils and did data logging to see some real world data. The old coils were some "Red Top" coils I bought at ECS listed as OE manufacture, they were not OEM R8 coils.

Data was from 8 runs with each set of coils with Red Top logs done on Saturday and APR coils done on Sunday. Same road and time of day, similar weather so as many variables as possible removed. Data was averaged from runs to make it easier to display. Butt dyno showed car felt more responsive with the APR coils, boost data shows an odd pattern but ultimately stronger boost at upper RPMs.

Phur

Autocross Champion
You can if you want. I'd run a cooler NGK plug.
So I should be running the BKR8EIX using your coils with the APR Stage 1 w/ CAI 93oct High Torque file?

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
I installed the APR coils and did data logging to see some real world data. The old coils were some "Red Top" coils I bought at ECS listed as OE manufacture, they were not OEM R8 coils.
First, thank you for all you've done there. Would you add which plugs you have, and their gap setting to this post?

Yeah, not sure of the quality of those ECS offers as red top R8 replacements. The R8 replacements are revisions E through G I believe, and hopefully the aftermarket offerings are well enough quality.

I assume you are running a 5k Ohm plug, PFR7B or BKR7EIX(or BKR8EIX), but would be interesting to see how both coils compare if they are also paired with 1k Ohm plugs (PFR7S8EG or PFR7Q) set at a larger 0.8mm/0.031" gap. Less plug resistance would allow more coil energy to span the gap between both electrodes (ground and center). More energy, which is not always a good thing, may cause it to stumble at high load and high revs if not resisted/restricted properly.

Last edited:

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Might need to pick these up soon and take the red tops I have and just keep them in the hatch as a backup.