GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New engine - Mk 6 Golf R

kevbass52

Ready to race!
Bought a used mk 6 golf R back in December. Piston ring in cylinder 4 failed back in May/June, been at the dealership waiting on a new engine (lifetime powertrain warranty🙌).

Besides the obvious seals, hardware and engine mounts being replaced, wanted to ask the community if I should upgrade the engine mounts or anything else while the engine is remove from the vehicle?
Appreciate any feedback, thank you

-update, car has 110k miles on odometer.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Knowing mileage on car will help in advising you but can't hurt to replace the mounts while you have motor out. Would also be a good time to put a new clutch in since you will have motor out. I would find out what parts are being replaced. I would put in fresh plugs, coils and if fuel injectors are not being replaced I would replace them as well. If mileage was high, I would probably upgrade or replace the HPFP.

kevbass52

Ready to race!
Knowing mileage on car will help in advising you but can't hurt to replace the mounts while you have motor out. Would also be a good time to put a new clutch in since you will have motor out. I would find out what parts are being replaced. I would put in fresh plugs, coils and if fuel injectors are not being replaced I would replace them as well. If mileage was high, I would probably upgrade or replace the HPFP.
Wouldn’t the warranty cover the replacement of motor mounts or is it not a one time use part? Definitely want to replace the clutch but when I was on stage 1 jb4, no slippage at all. Need to save up anyway for a new clutch sadly.
Coils and plugs were replaced soon as I got the car at 100k. Did a cam follower replacement also on HPFP.
definitely will ask about the fuel injectors.
I’ll contact them on Monday to see what replacements parts they are doing to confirm.
Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Warranty generally covers parts that become defective during warranty period. If you can show/see that the mounts have cracked and failing rubber parts then I would ask for warranty coverage.

I would also check the turbo shaft for play and send it out for rebuild unless they are giving you a new one.

GolfRfrontend

Go Kart Newbie
New engine already comes with injectors. Don’t big turbo because stock internals can’t handle the power. I assuming as long as you don’t upgrade to big turbo you’ll be fine.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Don’t big turbo because stock internals can’t handle the power.
This is incorrect. Especially with the R which has upgraded internals from the factory.

People routinely take these motors up to 400-500 hp without upgrading internals. This isnt a Honda.

kevbass52

Ready to race!
This is incorrect. Especially with the R which has upgraded internals from the factory.

People routinely take these motors up to 400-500 hp without upgrading internals. This isnt a Honda.
The plan eventually, after I wear down the clutch, would be upgraded clutch and upgrade turbo but might keep it stock for a while to maximize the lifetime powertrain warranty😅

appreciate the insight thanks.

kevbass52

Ready to race!
So far from what they’ve told me, and it took 2 months for them to take out a piston to get it appraised (irritated beyond belief), I’m getting a new long block and they’re re-using the fuel injectors, engine Mount rubber and only replacing hardware that’s one time use.
With the parts shortage and delay in logistics for just about anything, manager mentioned I’d get a new long block or used (similar mileage).

Obviously I want new so I don’t have to deal with similar or other issues with a used engine. As far as fuel injectors replacement, should I ask them to cover (warranty may not pay cuz it was not damaged/defective) or just pay outtta pocket and also should I wait months as the long block is on back order?

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
"used (similar mileage)" -> WTF kind of warranty is that. Wait for new or have them rebuild existing one should be the only resolution. However I would immediately read my so called lifetime warranty very carefully to know what your options are. Are you in U.S.?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
"used (similar mileage)" -> WTF kind of warranty is that. Wait for new or have them rebuild existing one should be the only resolution. However I would immediately read my so called lifetime warranty very carefully to know what your options are. Are you in U.S.?

And to your original question, you say 110K miles or km?

kevbass52

Ready to race!
And to your original question, you say 110K miles or km?
110k miles sorry. The funny thing is, when I bought the car from the dealer (used, was the service managers car) I checked the records for oil changes prior to me owning the vehicle and doing my own. Last recorded oil change on carfax is @90k miles. I bought it around 100k, first oil change around 103/104 since they assured me it had an oil change. Did another around 107/108 and then boom the piston ring on cylinder 4 apparently shattered.

Originally they were just going to rebuild cylinder 4 and I complained saying the internals could be damaged and I would be dealing with the same issues again potentially. Master tech checked it again and instead of rebuilding the cylinder they corrected it to changing the long block. Beyond that still no updates but I called the general manager because if it takes 2 months to finally get it appraised for the work that still needs to be done, does not give me confidence in their prioritization of getting me my god damn car. At this point wanna just get the mk8 but I would lose my lifetime powertrain warranty on my mk6 if I trade it in or sold it lol. Catch 22

This is verbatim from the warranty "We, at our option, will either provide the Repairs ourselves or reimburse an authorized licensed repair facility to do so. Replacement will be made with a part that, at our option, is remanufactured, used or new, and that is of a like kind and quality compatible with the original design specifications and wear tolerances of the Vehicle. All parts replaced will be covered for the Warranty Term, subject to the terms and conditions of this Warranty" so technically they can give me a "used or new" but for the wait I have already gone through, going to be insistent on a new damn engine. If they don't replace the fuel injectors I'll just pay that outta pocket.

GolfRfrontend

Go Kart Newbie
You can always pay for new injectors but if there’s nothing wrong with them prior to piston issues. I would leave it injectors can be very expensive..

kevbass52

Ready to race!
You can always pay for new injectors but if there’s nothing wrong with them prior to piston issues. I would leave it injectors can be very expensive..
Noted thank you!
they weren’t too costly but yeah rather save for a clutch that’ll need to get replaced eventually.

finally tho got an update from the dealer after 2.5 months……..
Getting a new remanufactured engined from Germany:D timeline unknown (due to covid, bs). Replacing the engine mounts, long block, & hardware.

Wanted to ask if anyone added a heating cover to their k04 turbo to keep it slightly cooler? Worth doing it while the engine is apart?