GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New guy

Rudito09

Hey guys, just got a new to me 2011 VW GTI manual with 90k miles on the odometer. First order of business is to change the engine oil, air filter and spark plugs. Anything else you guys recommend for peace of mind?

Rudito09

I've been reading about the tensioner? Are these interference engines? If the chain skips a tooth will my valves shatter?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yes if the tensioner fails you will be in for an expensive repair bill. Get that replaced ASAP. You can inspect to see if it has been updated pretty easily through the inspection hole 🕳

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Should I replace the chain while I'm in there? Do you recommend any brand? Should I go OEM?
Only OEM parts when it comes to timing components.

The chain stretches over time and they've released a revised version of it. You can also check chain stretch with vagcom/vcds.

There's also a little hole you can peer into to verify if the tensioner is the old or new version. You never know what the previous owner did. I traded in my mk6 with 75k miles and I did the tensioner and chain before it was traded in. You might not get that lucky, but it'd be better to check before diving in completely.

Rudito09

Yes, I figured OEM would be the way to go. Do you guys have a part number for the revised tensioner? Or a website that sells OEM parts? I'm coming from a Honda Accord and there are some sites that sell OEM Honda parts, figured there should be something like that for Volkswagen