GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Member...100% VW committed now, what's next?

ce4

Ready to race!
Hello all!!

My name is Justin and been lurking on this forum for bit now and decided to join.

Just a bit of a quick backstory:

Been driving the same truck for 12 years now, 2005 Chevrolet Colorado Xtreme. Bought it brand new in 2005 and now just shy of 200k miles. I just took a new job that is gonna require me to drive a bit further to work (3.6 miles vs 46 miles round trip), so I bit the bullet this past weekend and got me a VW.

Last year my gf got a new 2016 Tiguan S 4m. been spoiled in that and the VW bug bit me. so after looking and weighing options, i traded my truck in this weekend on a used, new to me, 2013 VW gti drivers edition. It's currently at the dealership getting prepped in serviced, as they had it on the lot less than a day after I found it. it has some minor cosmetic damage (couple dents and paint chips) that the dealer is fixing. It's a one owner, 28k mile car, Carbon Steel Gray metallic, 5 door. I'm really excited to start driving this thing!!!

I've been wandering around this forum and others for a bit for her Tig and now that I have a GTI, we are now fully VW committed, at least until the kid is old enough for a car, which is less than 2 years away.

Anyways, while it's at the dealership now, is there anything I should be having the Service department focusing on/looking for? There are no current open recalls, I just wanna make sure i take delivery of this thing in best mechanical and physical condition as possible.

Already got some parts on the way (GFB DV+, yellow Lamin-X for fogs, smoked turns/side signal indicators).

I'll get pics up soon!

Thanks you for any and all help/advice and I look forward to learning as much as I can from all the experience here and passing it on!

Justin

Also just as a memorial, pic below of what i'm walking away from after 12 years :cry:

Attachments

• DSC_0334.jpg
    DSC_0334.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 178

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
wow your truck looks surprisingly good for being 12 years old.

ce4

Ready to race!
wow your truck looks surprisingly good for being 12 years old.

Thanks!!! It's tough to see it go as I've been all over this country with it, taking it places where lowered trucks usually don't go.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Welcome to the forums!

Some popular things to fail on our cars would be the water pump, intake manifold, and timing chain tensioner.

Since your model is a 2013, you should be alright with the timing chain tensioner as the revised version started in late 2012 I believe. Some people change these tensioners out every 50k miles or so (not really necessary) just in case because if they fail then you either need a new engine or a rebuild.

The water pump is covered by a recall and since you said there aren't any recalls out for your car, it was probably already done.

The intake manifold is covered under warranty until 120k miles.

Carbon cleaning will need to be done at some point as carbon tends to build up inside the engine causing rough idles and misfires and eventually will throw a check engine light.

Those are the big maintenance things.

As far as tuning... if you do decide to get an aftermarket tune, be prepared to swap out your coilpacks with the "red top" audi R8 coilpacks as the tunes tend to blow the stock coilpacks. And if its a manual transmission, your clutch may start slipping (mine did) but it also may not; its hit or miss. So just be aware of that.

All of this may sound scary but its a pretty reliable car! I love mine.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Congrats! My dad has a similar truck lowered with close to the same mileage and that thing hasn't missed a beat. And I second everything the guy above me said. But in the end just hit boost and enjoy the car :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
If the car is at 28k I would ask them to do the 30k service and then do the 40k service (which is a big one) at around 35k just to get all fresh new stuff in the car. It can be done fairly easily on your own for not too much.

By 2013 most of the big issues were resolved. I would hope theyd check the car for codes and fix the issues needed to clear them. Other then that I would say you are good to go.

The water pump is covered by a recall and since you said there aren't any recalls out for your car, it was probably already done.

My 2013 ccta never had a recall for the waterpump. Knock on wood but I'm about to hit 49k on the original.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
My 2013 ccta never had a recall for the waterpump. Knock on wood but I'm about to hit 49k on the original.

my 2011 ccta never got the recall either and as far as i know its still the original water pump.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
nothing will fail on the car as long as you leave the turn signals and side markers and taillights alone. If you smoke the taillights the water pump will go and if you put stickers on the rear windshield the timing chain will definitely jump on you so just be careful. They like tasteful mods

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
nothing will fail on the car as long as you leave the turn signals and side markers and taillights alone. If you smoke the taillights the water pump will go and if you put stickers on the rear windshield the timing chain will definitely jump on you so just be careful. They like tasteful mods
hahah so mean.

ce4

Ready to race!

Well i hope it likes the smoked turn signals and yellow lamin-x fog covers I got coming in!!!

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Well i hope it likes the smoked turn signals and yellow lamin-x fog covers I got coming in!!!
Lol feel free to cruise my build thread we have the same car. Mine is dsg. I'm at 78k miles and still going strong. I've only had my water pump and an oxygen sensor fail. Oxygen sensors are covered under a 60k emissions warranty. I recommend a carbon cleaning at 50k if u sit in traffic if not and you burn the carbon buildup (drive above 3.5k rpms for 20+ min) maybe you can last till 80k like I'm planning to do. I have a 68 mile commute and I can do 90mph the whole way. When you do the carbon cleaning it's wise to get the revised intake manifold it's just $150. I got quoted $700 for intake manifold and carbon cleaning. Walnut shell blasting is the technique I'd look for to do the carbon cleaning.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Welcome to the forums!

Some popular things to fail on our cars would be the water pump, intake manifold, and timing chain tensioner.

Since your model is a 2013, you should be alright with the timing chain tensioner as the revised version started in late 2012 I believe. Some people change these tensioners out every 50k miles or so (not really necessary) just in case because if they fail then you either need a new engine or a rebuild.

The intake manifold is covered under warranty until 120k miles.

Carbon cleaning will need to be done at some point as carbon tends to build up inside the engine causing rough idles and misfires and eventually will throw a check engine light.

Those are the big maintenance things.

As far as tuning... if you do decide to get an aftermarket tune, be prepared to swap out your coilpacks with the "red top" audi R8 coilpacks as the tunes tend to blow the stock coilpacks. And if its a manual transmission, your clutch may start slipping (mine did) but it also may not; its hit or miss. So just be aware of that.

All of this may sound scary but its a pretty reliable car! I love mine.

That's awesome info! I'm in a similar boat as the OP but haven't actually purchased my next GTI yet. Good to hear what I should be expecting! Thank you!

ce4

Ready to race!
Well the day has finally come! The gti is now in my possession and I couldn't be any happier! Already started the mods after having it less than 24 hours.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
car looks great with yellow bulb in the smoked side marker might wanna look for a pair of those. i found the stock white ones made the light look dim and ugly, just my personal preference

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Looks exactly like mine.... minus the dent on my hood and bumper lol