GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New owner of a '12 R CW 4d

opntrk86

Hello all,

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/92wneQBa/2012-volkswagen-golf-r

I was the winning bid on this one, plan to drive it home 600 miles over the Holiday weekend. It will split daily duty with my stage 3 '01 Audi Allroad 2.7t 6mt

I will be owner #3. Not many service records after the 2nd owner took over, but I plan on doing the Haldex service, plugs and Cam Follower as soon as I get it home and start planning for timing belt this winter.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Congrats!!

Nice addition!! I'm actually pretty jealous of your Stg3 Allroad too!

Post pics of your cam follower when you swap it, curious. Of course if you don't know when it was changed not as helpful, but hey why not. If you're doing plugs might just do coils while you're doing it.

Be sure to post pics when you get her home!! (y)

opntrk86

Thanks Thumper, I will be sure to document all my findings in this thread

I appreciate the love for the ur allroad, they usual don't get much respect. I hope the recent Avant craze surrounding the new RS6 will help that some; the B5 S4 / C5 S6 Avants are starting to jump in value

this will have to hold everyone over until I get some pics of the 'R'

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Thumper, I will be sure to document all my findings in this thread

I appreciate the love for the ur allroad, they usual don't get much respect. I hope the recent Avant craze surrounding the new RS6 will help that some; the B5 S4 / C5 S6 Avants are starting to jump in value

this will have to hold everyone over until I get some pics of the 'R'

Abs-O-lute-lee Gorgeous All Road fella!!!

How bout some details on the Cars'n'bids process?

opntrk86

Thanks useful,

Couldn't be simpler, enter your info & Credit Card# to register to bid.

Bids in $100 increments; the bid you enter is your actual bid, not Ebay style where you enter your max bid and you get it for one increment above the next highest. (if I knew this before biding I would have raise my max gradually and potentially got it cheaper, live and learn I guess).

If there is a Reserve (this car had one), they are not posted; so you are in the dark there

Comment section during bidding is interesting, usually a lot of activity towards the end of the auction and the seller was very involved. (similar to Bring a Trailer)

If you win, the site shares your info with the seller and takes the buyer fees from the Card on file (4.5% with a $4500 max)

Then its up to Buyer/Seller to arrange things, not sure if the site gets involved if something shady goes down. Hopefully I won't need to find that out; seller has been great to deal with so far.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

I love me a wagon, I actually am in line to order an RS6 Avant but I don't want it before the end of next year so I keep giving cuts when my allotment comes up. And now it looks like the Exclusive paint shop is done for the model year so I'll be waiting till 2022 now. I've been thinking about grabbing an Allroad (love the twin turbos) or a later model A4 Avant and throw a K04 in it to tide me over. lol

Your's is a nice color too, looks very nice, and painted wheel flares seal the sexy deal. (y)

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
I always do new coils with new plugs if the coils are near 80k to 100k miles.
Once you've had some time with it; I would have a look at its fuel trims...Lambda...and Mass air. Just to confirm a few other things are tight and working/reporting well.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Beautiful wagon!!!!

I really wanted a Audi wagon with the 2.7t but was concerned about longevity.

opntrk86

I actually am in line to order an RS6 Avant
Oh my, don't procrastinate too long and miss out. They need to sell as many of those as possible for me to have a prayer of picking one up in 15-20 years when they fully depreciate

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Oh my, don't procrastinate too long and miss out. They need to sell as many of those as possible for me to have a prayer of picking one up in 15-20 years when they fully depreciate

LOL I was going Nogaro until they ended up bringing the Tribute editions over here after all and I didn't want people to think I was trying to fake one, and wanted to be very unique. They were very stingy with colors in the 2021 for the Exclusive program as well, they were not allowing the full range of Porsche colors like when I got the TTRS. So maybe next year they will be more open and I'll even have some more choices, I have a short list of 3 Audi colors but we'll see if Porsche colors are available.

There was a dealer in TX I think it was that got their hands on a Tribute (which were all supposed to go to customers to fill allotments but this dealer clearly kept theirs) and they marked it up to $200k. :rolleyes:

opntrk86

Post pics of your cam follower when you swap it, curious.

Swapped out the cam follower last night, it didn't look too bad considering I believe it to be the original

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I would defer to someone with more knowledge on the cam follower if they say otherwise, but that looks a little ugly. The cam follower looks really rough and pockmarked. Is that a protrusion near the center, looks like there is a piece starting to poke out. Some definite scratching on the cam lobe too.

Like you said, that's original and at least it didn't fail!! Good thing you changed it though, there's a reason whenever people buy an FSI the first words are congratulations, replace your cam follower. LMAO

opntrk86

There was some oil residue on the follower in that pic that may be deceiving (didn't notice until I saw them on a full size monitor). The black coating is gone, but it is far from wore though. The marks on the cam are concerning, but no grooves that can be felt or anything like that. I will be keeping a close eye on it.

opntrk86

Time for an update:

I got the maintenance items caught up as well as all the little cosmetic issues that were bugging me. I also put about 1200 miles on it and decided that I enjoy the car enough to keep it for a while.

To celebrate I decided to get her a little gift

review to come