GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New project car - MK6 Golf R

kevbass52

Ready to race!
The fronts had a nice blueish wear band evenly spread from inside to out, the rears were not as good but the light spots were in the middle (so good wear band on the outer and the inner but then smaller "rings" of wear on the middle). Rears filled out better after the track sessions though and didn't squeak at all in the paddock but haven't driven on the street yet since. Got home late from the track on Sunday and just parked the trailer in front of the house, left the R on it and went to bed. LOL I'll be pulling it off Saturday to wash off the track debris, rubber, and grime do an oil change and then put it back on the trailer for next weekend.

I found the choices for OEM replacement style 2-pieces on this platform to be very scarce on choice. The ones I went with were on the more pricey end but are custom, fully serviceable, and as I documented in my build thread extremely light on the fronts. 6lbs each up front less than OEM.
So an update after taking it to Sonoma, I definitely felt a difference in grip the hotter the brakes got. Much more stick and grab than the street/mountain road driving I have been doing. Did feel the street vs track type grab, more street grab on hairpin #11 turn as I pressed on the brakes (stopping from about 110-120) as opposed to the windy turns 2-4 where you could feel the grab was a lot stronger. Even with my single piece rotor, anytime there was a straight before a turn where I picked up over 80-90mph it would feel a lil soft on the grab initially but as I braked more it grabbed stronger.
Overall tho I am happy with em for the cost in comparison to BBK.

Nice sounds like its getting good even pressure even if there are light spots in the middle. Another track session should get them into place!

For the 2-piece rotors you bought. Do they offer warranty or replacements for the single hub piece, not sure if that is what it is called (not the rotor but the connecting piece of the rotor to the hub).

Thumper

Autocross Champion
For the 2-piece rotors you bought. Do they offer warranty or replacements for the single hub piece, not sure if that is what it is called (not the rotor but the connecting piece of the rotor to the hub).

Ok, glad it's not just me noticing the transition in the brakes LOL Yeah, I get the lesser grip even after short straights in the 50-60mph range. I have lots of other projects this year I need to tackle so I will likely just deal with them for this season and then swap to G-Loc next year. Get a sticker for the side glass that says "Ignore brake squeal, race brakes because racecar!" :ROFLMAO:

The brand I went with is called Ceika https://ceika-store.com/ They only have a 3 month warranty which did concern me, but as I said......no real options so I pulled the trigger. The center part is generally called the "hat", the "ring" is the rotor surface and those are serviceable separately. I am not sure if you can purchase just the hat, replacing those is not needed unless you break one normally.

kevbass52

Ready to race!
Ok, glad it's not just me noticing the transition in the brakes LOL Yeah, I get the lesser grip even after short straights in the 50-60mph range. I have lots of other projects this year I need to tackle so I will likely just deal with them for this season and then swap to G-Loc next year. Get a sticker for the side glass that says "Ignore brake squeal, race brakes because racecar!" :ROFLMAO:

The brand I went with is called Ceika https://ceika-store.com/ They only have a 3 month warranty which did concern me, but as I said......no real options so I pulled the trigger. The center part is generally called the "hat", the "ring" is the rotor surface and those are serviceable separately. I am not sure if you can purchase just the hat, replacing those is not needed unless you break one normally.
Was reading up on ebc a little more and it seems to be part of their design. As the brakes heat up, the grip gets better. Hahaha solid idea, no squeaks yet but I’m sure they’ll happen sometime.

Ahh okay got it, thanks for the terminology. Will look into a 2 piece system down the road.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
FYI

Just got home from a weekend at Hallett in OK and they kept going from street, to track.....to gone all in one corner. And once they let go they never came back to track grip. These are definitely for mildly modified cars for occasional track duty. Hammering into a corner at 107 every minute and a half or so along with 9 other corners is not in their wheelhouse.

keggo

Sounds like you lucked out with the find… 15k on oil isn’t a good habit, but it’s not going to kill the engine.

The R I purchased in October was rife with critical issues that were not disclosed at the time of purchase. It’s just now getting to the point that it’s even roadworthy. Finally found some time to address the huge oil leak that began when I noticed small leak and one of the deeply recessed oil pan bolts was missing. Upon trying to replace it, the hole was filled with sealant and I attempted to pierce it, to thread a new bolt. The bolt wouldn’t catch on anything. Also, major issues due to the leak, body and structural issues… it’s been kind of a shitshow.

Attachments

• 4CD2F226-D42D-467D-8B95-5F2260ADC59B.jpeg
    4CD2F226-D42D-467D-8B95-5F2260ADC59B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • 23ABB3DA-841B-4CD8-8EC0-9D798A400314.jpeg
    23ABB3DA-841B-4CD8-8EC0-9D798A400314.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • E39AA45E-BC00-485A-9065-9689EFF498DE.jpeg
    E39AA45E-BC00-485A-9065-9689EFF498DE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • FDEE289C-9ABD-4AD8-8FC2-FD2A3980C1E0.jpeg
    FDEE289C-9ABD-4AD8-8FC2-FD2A3980C1E0.jpeg