GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

mojoooo0

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone,

Just posting about the new RCD330 plus deck that has been out for a few months now. I haven't seen it mention at all on these forums but im sure people would be interested in it.

It not available for the NA market from what i can see as its for India/Russia/China markets?

There is a few version of it available. $100 version that only supports mirrorlink, $200 hacked version that has upgraded ram and supports carplay and the official $270 that has carplay.

Pros:
Direct fit (works with tons of models)
Works with reverse camera
carplay/mirror link
much better screen and touch
reasonable price

WORKS with Dynaudio/fender! You just have to unplug the power from battery and plug it back in. Refer to page 9

Cons:
No HD radio
No XM
No Cd player
No Android Auto

Here is a video of the hacked version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4McPJeUsU5c&t=4s

You can find the ads on aliexpress/ebay. Here is the one for the hacked version that I just bought

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHL...lgo_pvid=221508fc-8268-4ab5-a6bd-4be55f7fe389

Last edited:

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
What about for us Android folk. Would we use the mirrorlink version?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
..... Actually just discovered my phone (Pixel) doesn't support Mirrorlink... Bummer..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

jontalk

Ready to race!
This is interesting though after exploring upgrading my Premium 7 to the RCD 510 I learned that Vag Com VCDS programming is needed for the MFI to recognize a different model head unit. Has anyone installed one of these in a car that had a lower model head unit and if so, how did you get it to work? The video if not edited in any way looks like the unit processor is pretty fast and the touch screen sensitive which is sweet! How does it sound and will it recognize US FM or HD radio frequencies?

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Hate the button layout, looks so aftermarket. But nice CarPlay unit for sure, that responsiveness puts my RNS-510 to shame.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Link to official model? What's the advantage to this over going aftermarket, other than price?

Coogie

Ready to race!
I just don't know why VW doesn't offer a software update to make CarPlay compatible with MK6 systems, except being selfish and self-serving. Maybe they could use the USB MDI. Bluetooth car play is coming out too.

mojoooo0

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is the non hacked version with official carplay support

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...lgo_pvid=9684b198-dc4d-4f54-bdd1-12e63b9eb1ec

Coogie : These are OEM. I feel like most other companies aren't releasing any major updates like what you want but we are lucky enough for VW to keep using their older standards. These radios can be installed in older cars too"VW Tiguan Golf 5 6 Jetta Passat Polo"

DSGW - the layout is almost the same as new mib2 headunits in the newer vw's. This is oem and not aftermarket as you can get.

Jontalk - these aren't locked and should work right away when you plug them in. If you currently use bluetooth and will be using a direct usb connection then the sound quality should improve as well. Comparing the ipod MDI/CD/SD vs Bluetooth in my car, the ipod MDI for my phone is much better so being able to use carplay in the RCD330 will be better for me.

US FM works but Im not sure about HD radio but I wouldn't expect it to work.

TheCor

Ready to race!
So this should work plug'n'play to replace a RCD-310 in a 2013 GTI in the US? Steering wheel controls and all?

jontalk

Ready to race!
Here is the non hacked version with official carplay support

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...lgo_pvid=9684b198-dc4d-4f54-bdd1-12e63b9eb1ec

Coogie : These are OEM. I feel like most other companies aren't releasing any major updates like what you want but we are lucky enough for VW to keep using their older standards. These radios can be installed in older cars too"VW Tiguan Golf 5 6 Jetta Passat Polo"

DSGW - the layout is almost the same as new mib2 headunits in the newer vw's. This is oem and not aftermarket as you can get.

Jontalk - these aren't locked and should work right away when you plug them in. If you currently use bluetooth and will be using a direct usb connection then the sound quality should improve as well. Comparing the ipod MDI/CD/SD vs Bluetooth in my car, the ipod MDI for my phone is much better so being able to use carplay in the RCD330 will be better for me.

US FM works but Im not sure about HD radio but I wouldn't expect it to work.

You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge here so bear with me. You say these units aren't "locked"; so does this mean OEM models like the RCD-310 or 510 are? And is that why you cannot install a different model than the one that came in the car without extensive Vag Com programming? I have a Bluetooth module in the car but since the Premium 7 doesn't support it, I never use it. Also I'm not sure what you mean when you mention the use of a USB connection and the connection to sound quality. And finally, does this need to be installed by a professional? I'm not that savvy nor do I want to screw up anything, LOL. Thanks

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge here so bear with me. You say these units aren't "locked"; so does this mean OEM models like the RCD-310 or 510 are? And is that why you cannot install a different model than the one that came in the car without extensive Vag Com programming? I have a Bluetooth module in the car but since the Premium 7 doesn't support it, I never use it. Also I'm not sure what you mean when you mention the use of a USB connection and the connection to sound quality. And finally, does this need to be installed by a professional? I'm not that savvy nor do I want to screw up anything, LOL. Thanks

These units are VW China OEM head units that are unlocked. They're plug and play, you take off the trim panel, remove the 4 screws, unlock the harness from the back and put in the new unit. The USB connection, I think he is referring is on the front, that you'll have to plug in for Apple CarPlay to work.

jontalk

Ready to race!
These units are VW China OEM head units that are unlocked. They're plug and play, you take off the trim panel, remove the 4 screws, unlock the harness from the back and put in the new unit. The USB connection, I think he is referring is on the front, that you'll have to plug in for Apple CarPlay to work.

OK thanks.. As I said originally when exploring upgrading to the RCD-510 from the Premium 7 head unit in my car, the dealer said that it requires a lot of Vag Com programming since it wasn't factory. Members of this site selling the 510 said it was BS, but after speaking with several it turned out it's not. That said, I'd be curious to know if anyone with the same HU as me has installed one without programming. Hope you can see the logic here.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
OK thanks.. As I said originally when exploring upgrading to the RCD-510 from the Premium 7 head unit in my car, the dealer said that it requires a lot of Vag Com programming since it wasn't factory. Members of this site selling the 510 said it was BS, but after speaking with several it turned out it's not. That said, I'd be curious to know if anyone with the same HU as me has installed one without programming. Hope you can see the logic here.

Yup, I personally know one guy in SF and seen it in action. It is plug and play.